Best Reaches for Poor Hispanic

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Best Reaches for Poor Hispanic
By abner on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

what schools would be my most realistic "reach" schools considering my stats?

GPA 88 (about 3.5 in my hs), Top 15% of class
SAT 1180 (2nd highest in my hs)
ACT 27 (again 2nd highest in my hs)
Hispanic, born in Mexico (Resident Alien)
Low income (about $13,000 for a family of three)
Low performing hs in inner city
Have held a job for past 2 yrs to support family
Varsity Track and Cross Country
Business Professionals of America and DECA mem.
taking CC classes right now (6hrs Freshman Comp II and Intro to Psychology)

I want to study history and do pre-med. I would prefer a school in Texas or California

By bump on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

bump

By gw on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

How about Univ. of Texas, or one of the UC schools?

By Quaggs on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

All UCs, 70 percent at Berkeley.

By abner on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

seriously? You really think at all UC's?

I've been told that I could probably only make it into UC Santa Barbara and like 10% chance at UCLA and no chance at UC Berekely

By hhh on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Apply to Duke University. They have a good minority recruitment program, and are also likely to give you a lot of financial aid. They are not as far from the south as the ivies, and not as competitivve as Stanford. If you raise your sat to a 1400, you will probably get in almost anywhere

By j on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

I very much doubt that you will get into UCLA or UC Berkeley as I know of people with stats better than yours who did not get in. Your best bet is probably UCSB, UCI, or UC Riverside for CA schools.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

If you are a California resident you have a very good shot at the UC schools except for possibly Berkeley or UCLA (but don't rule those out completely). If you are not a California resident then consider them all reach schools. In Texas, you have a very good shot at any of the University of Texas schools and Texas A&M but University of Texas Austin becomes iffy if you are not a Texas resident. Also note that if you are a Texas resident and get class rank up to top 10% you will be automatically admitted to any public Texas university you apply to regardless of SAT or ACT score.

By bumper on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

bump

By bump on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

bump

By woninil on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

I suspect you have a far better shot than many posts are leading you to believe. Apply to any and all schools you are interested in-surely you can have application fees waived with your family income

27 ACT is going to be good enough for selective state schools

And I think cc classes and a REAL job can only make your application stand out. Volunteering sounds wonderful but no one fires you if you dont show up!

By abner on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

yes I do have a job and have had the same one for the past year and 9 months which i think is a long time consisidering my age. and yes i do use the money to supplement my families income. this job also kept my gpa low and my rank low because i didnt have time for hw. i dont want to brag but if i hadnt had this job i would be either 1-5 out of 319 of my class, but oh well right........

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page