Chances @ same old, same old, and others

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances @ same old, same old, and others
By Quack87 (Quack87) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Hey. If you could evaluate me/offer any suggestions, that would be GREATLY appreciated. ty!

Applying to: Swarthmore, Amherst, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Princeton, Kenyon, Brown

STATS
Background: white, female, small prestigeous prep school
GPA: 94 out of possible 97
SAT I: 770 verbal/700 math, 1st time, not planning to retake.
SAT IIs: writing - 780, chem - 660 (ugg), bio - 700. still have to take math iic and possibly phys.
Possible Major: poli sci, history, physics

SUMMER:
- went to new zealand/fiji two summers ago, 60 hours of community service
- took classes at yale last summer: constitutional law and abstract math
- internship @ DAs office this summmer

STUFF
- model congress
- debate club
- magazine editor-in-chief
- honor committee: hear cases of honor code violation and make recomendations
- helped organize dinner @ school to raise money for breast cancer research last may
- organizing conference for intercultural understanding this may

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Look at my stats, in the link in my profile. I applied to similar schools with somewhat similar stats. It's hard to say anything, however, without knowing how good that GPA is in the context of your school, and how colleges will interpret it.

By Quack87 (Quack87) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

thanks for the feedback! my GPA's very good in the context of my school. however, looking at your stats is pretty disheartening. 1500 SATs, strong SAT IIs and all those rejection? i'm starting to get the hopelessness factor of college admissions, oh joy. i'll take a good hard look at my safeties...

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

My stats are similar to yours, but with more strength in testing, less strength in english, and fewer and less developed ECs. That said, your profile is better than mine because you have interests that show in your ECs, etc. I think you'll get into about 75% of your schools, likely Kenyon, Claremont, Swarthmore, and kinda halfnhalf for the others. Depends on your essays.

I have one question for you: are you the kinda student that works pretty hard, i.e. 2 hours per night, is genuinely devoted to the other things you do, and is an all-around smart person (relative to your classmates)? Or, do you put <30 mins into homework per night, somewhat interested in your other activities, and a very smart person in all aspects of life who gets excellent grades by your sheer intellect? Most of the people on this website are the former. Just wanted to know what you think.

By Quack87 (Quack87) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Qwert - I've noticed the same trend on CC too. I think I'm more the first type you described. I can afford to slide by in many of my classes without a ton of effort (maybe an hour or so a night). But my ECs are all consuming. I'm at school nearly every Saturday for the magazine, random Fridays for Debate and Model Congress, and organizing the conference essentially takes up the rest of my "free" time. I never could get into the idea of resume building as a profession, of doing something w/ a catchy name ONLY because it'll look good. I guess I get bored too easily. Same for you (or anyone else, if you want to contribute)?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Hmmmm... I'm kind of a mix. I don't do well in required classes because I'm not interested in them usually. They're the sort of classes that anyone could get an A in if you put in 20 mins per night, but usually I don't see the point because I don't care about what's going on. But the classes that are more conceptual are easy for me because it understand it quickly, and it's downhill from there. As for ECs, I do little, period. I only do the ones that interest me for a few hours a week. The way I see it, colleges look at ECs because they want to get more perspective on you as a person, what interests you, what you do with your free time. I think my personality comes off sufficiently in the few things that I do, and that's fine because I wouldn't want to do anything just for the resume pad. I don't want to end up wanting to quit any of my ECs after I've gotten into college. Besides, those ones are see-through anyway.

It's weird, in terms of looking over the material for SAT 2 and APs, I do fine because I find myself caring about the material occasionally, and when I do, I can absorb it well and learn it. For class, though, you have to study when you have a test and do work when it's due. That doesn't jive with my 'schedule'. So I do badly (relatively) in school since sometimes I don't care at all.

Thanks for listening. I think I'm trying to convince people that my GPA doesn't define me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page