*Geuss the stats* Accepted: Dartmouth & Rejected: U of Maryl

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: *Geuss the stats* Accepted: Dartmouth & Rejected: U of Maryl
By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

I kid you not.

This is 100% true. I swear to it. My friend was rejected from U of Maryland and accepted at Dartmouth. Try to figure out this person's stats! I think some of you will probibly come close. It's still a shock about what happened.

By marylander on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

1. I hate guessing games.
2. Was your friend a Maryland resident? It's REAL tough to get into Maryland now for non-residents.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

He lives in NJ with me. i geuss that not that many ppl are interested in geussing. So i will tell. He has a 3.43 gpa and 1460 Sat's. He has a SINGLE ec. He was a columnist for a local newspaper at the beginning of his senior year.

I am still in complete schock at the this turn of events.

By marylander on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Sorry, I'm not at all surprised he didn't get into Maryland College Park as an out-of-state resident with a GPA less than 3.5. In-state applicants don't get into Maryland with a GPA less than 3.5.

You may be "schocked" but I'm not shocked.

By My story is crazier on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Here's an even bigger shocker, I have a friend last year that got into Cal Tech, MIT, Stanford, Cornell (A fatty scholarship might I add), but was rejectd by UCLA.

By noclass on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Some schools value GPA more than SAT scores( mainly large public universities) while other schools value standardized tests more( mostly private schools).

By Rxlc on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

I'd much rather go to Dartmouth than UMCP anyway. Of course I live in MD and would do anything to get out of this awful state.

By marylander on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Nah, Maryland isn't an "awful state" (except for right now since we've been clobbered with 2 feet of snow.) However, I definately agree that I'd much rather go to Dartmouth over Maryland College Park.

By JerseyGirl on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Yeah, I know somebody who was rejected from Emory but got into Dartmouth.

By d on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I know a person rejected from Duke but accepted to Harvard and Cornell, and is currently at Cornell.

By HAHA on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

LOL only an idiot would choose Cornell over Harvard.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

your an idiot. Cornell is a logical choice

By noclass on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Why don't we stop digressing from the main purpose of the post?

By HAHA is an idiot on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Only an idiot would say that only an idiot would choose Cornell over Harvard.

By noclass on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

I agree. But lets not worry about who chose which school and talk about why this guy may have gotten rejected.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Ok. I think that u of Maryland thought that all he has is Sat's. This may have been their reasoning behind sending an ivy-leaguer a rejection letter!! In my mind and I assume all of yours, Dartmouth and umcp are a world away. I lknow a few complete morons who are headed to college park from my school. Dartmouth is one of the best schools in North America (and south america for that matter).

By HAHA on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

To all those that insulted me, you gotta ask yourselves this: In all seriousness, who in the right mind can possibly choose Cornell over Harvard?

By HAHA on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

It's like choosing a Honda Accord over a BMW 745Li.

By Lnacen (Lnacen) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

you know, prestige is not the only reason to choose a school, dumbass...

By h on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Honestly, if I were accepted to both, I would go to Cornell. Now, if you are concerned with reputation, then go to Harvard. But if you want to be academically challenged, and if you like having down-to-earth friends, or if you want to be an engineer, then go to Cornell.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Cornell has alot going for it. I do not know why it's getting this undeserved rep. as the "other" ivy league school. I think there is an advantage to having 14k students as well. If you want ivy league caliber with a landmark StateU size and a QUALITY education, then Cornell is a MUCH better choice than the ivy leauge image icon-Harvard.

By h on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

I think the analogy is more like choosing a Volvo S70 over Rolls Royce. Both of these cars are great, but they have their differences. Now, with a Rolls Royce, you are guaranteed that people will be amazed. But the Volvo is a safer and more convenient car. It won't get as many looks, but it is better than the Rolls Royce for it's own reasons.

By Ron on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I know a kid who got into dartmouth with a 1150, white boy, rich, didnt pay any money, 3.7 GPA wieghted, played decent tennis and thats about it.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

holy ••••!!?! thats even worse

By All I gotta say on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

H,

Great analogy I agree. I think an even better analogy would have been a Ferrari (now that's the ultimate flashy showmanship car). A Volvo obviously is not gonna get that much attention as it's not known as a luxurious,bragging right but more of a convenient, family car but who in the right mind would pick the Ferrari over the Volvo in terms of the safer car to drive when taking that trip? Speaking of Volvo's, my uncle just bought the new XC 90. It's a great car.

By Umm right on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Are you saying that Cornell is safer than Harvard? Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to bash Cornell as IMO it's a great school but please tell how your analogy makes any sense.

By h on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Hehe yeah we just got a new Volvo XC70. Another great car.

By LOL on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

LOL funny how this thread turned out, first we talk about surprising decisions made by Dartmouth and UMCP and now we're talking about Volvo's, AH the river of a conversation can lead you to anywhere.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

Yao Ming is THE MAN.....He is owning shaq. Just like last time the Lakers met the Rockets.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

hah, just wanted to change topic once more.

By Screw Yao on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:12 am: Edit

Nah Kobe owned the whole friggin Rockets tonite.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:49 am: Edit

Cornell would be a much better choice for engineering if you're particularly interested. But, if you're uncertain about your interests and just want to flow into school to find out, then you might as well accept Harvard's offer.

By Another thought on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 03:55 am: Edit

Cornell is also good when it comes to business.

By More curiosity on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:18 am: Edit

what is Cornell's most popular major anyways? Is business one of them?

By noclass on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:20 am: Edit

My friend with a 1300 SAT, 3.6 weighted got rejected from Maryland. Maryland is one of the top state universities.

Another friend with 1270 SAT, 3.8 weighted got rejected from Florida. He got into Emory.

Bottomline guys, is that state universities are getting VERY competitive!!!!

By youhaveNOidea on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

its easy to get into UMCP. The challenge is getting into the honors program. Living in Mont. Co., the high schools are more competitive than ever, so there's competition just between kids in this county. Over 5000 applications from our county alone.

**Bottomline guys, is that state universities are getting VERY competitive!!!!**
----Untrue. Try University of Indiana!----

By noclass on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

UMCP is not easy to get into moron.

By Filling you in on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Cornell's most popular major are: Engineering, biology, business, and history.

By marylander on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

I HAVE an idea, "youhaveNOidea." I LIVE IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY. It used to be easy to get into UMCP but not anymore. I know several people with decent stats -- not spectacular, but decent stats -- WHO DIDN'T GET IN TO UMCP. UMCP is no longer a safety school, it is NOT "easy to get into."

P.S. youhaveNOidea -- enjoy your days off from school.

By noclass on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I agree with marylander.
UMCP is getting harder to get into by the second!!

If you check out their admissions website the majority had between a 3.5-4.0 and the SAT is 1230-1380. They are catching up to Berkley!!!

Maryland also has their business school within the top 25 in the nation ( ranked 22 or 23)!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page