Help a lost junior...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Help a lost junior...
By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Okay, so I'm currently a high school junior and am starting the college process. My problem is my grades. Please post colleges safeties, matches, reaches that fit the criteria (as long as i fit theirs too).
I would really love to attend a small college close to home, within a two hour radius or so, but if i have no choice I can settle for a big one. I'm enrolled in Brooklyn Technical High School (my graduating class has just under 1000 kids) so I'd like a change of environment if it's possible.
Here are my stats:
H.S credits from Junior High
Seq 1 - 90
Earth science - 85
Spanish - 90

Freshman Year
Eng - 70/80 -> (teacher that hated my guts, luckily she was fired last year)
Global - 65/85
Seq 2 - 65/90
Technology - 80/80
Spanish - 65/65
Biology - 80/75

Sophomore Year
Eng - 85/90
Glob - 90/85
Seq 3 - 75/85
Technical drawing - 100
Machine shop - 94
Spanish - 75/80
Chemistry - 80/96

Junior Year
English Honors - 92
Ap Chemistry - 99
Pre-Calc - 92
American Honors - 97
Physics - 98

Senior Year Classes:
AP gov't
AP economics
Organic Chemistry
Quantitave Analysis
AP calculus AB
Honors American
Memoirs (opted out of AP english)
My Junior Year average is a 95.90 but overall my average is 83.98. By the end of this year it should be an 86. I recieved a 1350 on my SAT and am planning to take it again.

Extra Curriculars
-Completed a course(Sociology 101)at hunter college recieved a 4.0
-Volunteer at Coney Island Hospital(300+ hours) and am in the Health Careers Exploration Program. I passed the to so now I am a Volunteer Nurse's assistant I've completed the anatomy course as well as the heart physiology course and am CPR certified. I will be taking the OR course next month (I'm so excited, I'll get to watch surgeries!).
-I am enrolled in the Long Island University bridge program - and will be taking two college courses there this summer. (Psychology 101 and Women's studies)
-Helped raise $600 for the March of Dimes and will be walking tomorrow.
-I've been working in a law firm in the city for two years now, 15 hours a week.
-I play piano: level 6 -> 98/100
-Tutor 4th graders in a nearby public school, have been doing so since 8th grade.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

By G0ldplatinum (G0ldplatinum) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

nice upward curve, colleges will like that

By Gumby605 (Gumby605) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

hah your like me i showed consistant improvement sophomore and juniar year and my freshman year brought down my average considerably but i had high standardized test scores and extra curriculars, so yyeah its almost the same as you..anyway dont worry about it to much just cause colleges like that you showed improvement..yeah ur freshman year will hurt u a little but the fact that you improved is a huge plus in ur favor so you'll be fine dont worry about it just keep up your improvement hope that helps

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Thanks guys, but I'm asking for possible college matches/safeties/reaches. I realize i don't have a huge pool to choose from but I'm hoping to prove myself in college and get into a top notch grade school.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

What do you think you would like to major in? Are you thinking of something in medicine as an ultimate career goal?

By Macadamiamin (Macadamiamin) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Skidmore could be a big reach perhaps? Otherwise not familiar with many other small colleges that would fit you around NY.

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

No, I think im incling towards law as an ulitimate career but I would major in chemistry in college.

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I'm inclining*

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

How did you get a 99 in AP Chem after those other grades. You must have come out of a coma or been struck by lightning.
Anyways, congratulations on the incline.
I bet you'll do great in college no matter where you go.

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

I know the excuse has been used many times, but my teachers sucked. No, they all time blowed.
Freshman year I was taking anti-depressants which left me medicated and I found myself falling asleep in class alot of times. Another factor was that I was forced into a school where I didn't want to be, had virtually no friends, and was awfully bitter to everyone.
My chemistry teacher(first term) sophomore year came onto me and I embaressed him in front of the class, he hated me since then and I recieved an 80 because he took points off for "behavior".
Other than that, it was either lack of wanting to on my part, or me attempting to make as much time for friends that I didn't go to school with anymore. I made a turnaround mid-sophomore year, but I know that colleges will look down on my overall average.
Well, now that we have academic portion of my last three years settled, any matches/reaches/safeties that I could think about?

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

I know the excuse has been used many times, but my teachers sucked. No, they all time blowed.
Freshman year I was taking anti-depressants which left me medicated and I found myself falling asleep in class alot of times. Another factor was that I was forced into a school where I didn't want to be, had virtually no friends, and was awfully bitter to everyone.
My chemistry teacher(first term) sophomore year came onto me and I embaressed him in front of the class, he hated me since then and I recieved an 80 because he took points off for "behavior".
Other than that, it was either lack of wanting to on my part, or me attempting to make as much time for friends that I didn't go to school with anymore. I made a turnaround mid-sophomore year, but I know that colleges will look down on my overall average.
Well, now that we have academic portion of my last three years settled, any matches/reaches/safeties that I could think about?

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Definately look at Skidmore. It is a very supportive school.

Also,
Maybe a Bit of a Stretch:
Trinity College, Connecticut College
Match:
Rutgers (I know its big)
Manhatten College and Fordham U (is Jesuit ok?)
Goucher, Hobart & William Mary
American University
Safetyish:
Quinnipiac - very nice! Don't know if its too far away.

Hope this gives you a start. Please try to visit as many schools as you can - it will help a lot.

By Ace707 (Ace707) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Casablanca,
new york small schools that you can get into,
Marist Poukeepsie- pretty small- i htink that is the best match for you or otherwise- Ithaca or Buffalo- all upstate but sound like good matches

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page