Chances @ MIT for Junior!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances @ MIT for Junior!
By On9juno (On9juno) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Hi my collegeconfidential buddies!

I am currently a junior at a prestigious high school. I am very passionate towards physics, engineering, and computer science.

My stats:
SAT I: 660V, 800M (I came to the US from Asia two years ago. As you can probably tell from my mediocre English)
SAT II: 800IIc, 800Phy, 650 Writing
APs:
Sophomore: 5 Calculus AB, 5 Phy B
Junior: 5 Phy C, 5 Calculus BC, 5 Comp Sci AB

US Physics Team Semi-Finalist, AMC 12, AIME
My GPA : 3.8 (only 1 person has gotten >3.9 in the 70 years history of my school)
I am also the chairman of a company that deals with websites/PCs/supercomputers.
And I am the club head of a Science and Technology club at my high-school.

I have helped the MIT physics department built a 64-node super computer cluster, carried out various lab experiments and contributed many ideas to them. I was hired by the MIT physics department during my sophomore summer and I am going to work for them again in my junior summer.

I took a university year II level physics course that incoporates multivariable calculus. It is taught by a guy who graduated from MIT 10 years ago.
I will be doing more advanced physics and engineering independent work in my senior year.

By On9juno (On9juno) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

bump! thooooooop!

Please! I'm desperate!

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

I would say you have a great chance at MIT.

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

i would say u dont need to ask!!

By On9juno (On9juno) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

I am just wondering based on what did you guys conclude you reply?

By Macadamiamin (Macadamiamin) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

"...I was hired by the MIT physics department during my sophomore summer..."

Impressive. You have an excellent chance. What did you get in that physics course? If A, even better chance. Though maybe weak EC's? Someone correct me on that...

Also, being Asian won't help you...

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I don't know what the others think, but your stats are good and you are already there, at MIT, working with people that CAN WRITE YOU RECOMMENDATIONS so that they will keep you on the team.

That said ... apply ED if you can, and have good list of schools ready if it doesn't work out (you never know...). Who knows, you might like CalTech, CMU or Harvey Mudd better!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page