Canadian (Alberta) Student- Options for Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Canadian (Alberta) Student- Options for Harvard?
By Poeticjustice (Poeticjustice) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

I am a 25 year old parent and wife in my second year of Education. I love my college and I've heard really good things about the universities closer to myself, but believe that are many more opportunities out there. I am a high goal-setter and have really good grades. Above all I have an excellent reputation for school and have won many outstanding leadership awards and scholarships. I believe I could do better than local universities and want to know what is required for Harvard and Yale. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

I would recommend having a look at their websites to familiarize yourself with the two schools. I'm sure you're aware that they're two of the most selective schools in the U.S. and that they routinely reject applicants whose stats are superb. As a transfer, I'm not sure that it's any easier to gain admittance. Have you taken SAT's? What's your GPA? If you've already done two years at your present school, I'm not sure that exploring transfer options to the U.S. is a very good idea. Transfer app deadline for most U.S. colleges was April 1 so that would mean having to wait til next year when you've already done three years at your school. Most colleges have minimum residency requirements in order to be granted a degree which would exceed one year so that would mean you'd be later graduating. I'm not sure that makes sense at this point. The other thing to consider since you are married is the visa issue. You could be granted a student visa to study in the U.S. but it would be difficult, if not impossible, to get immigration approval for your spouse.

By Poeticjustice (Poeticjustice) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Thankyou for your reply!
-No I have not taken SATs. My GPA is a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale.
-I would not be taking my family with me. Even if I just transfer to a local university from where I am now, we won't be doing a family move. My husband and I own a business here in town and my daughter is just starting Grade 1 and I refuse to boounce her around school. So technically I'm on my own.
-I am spending one last year because technically I have 6 more courses to finish my 2nd year. I've been so involved in volunteer activities with the Alberta Association for Teaching and other Education Undergrad Society activities (society for Ed students). This is where I've been getting many scholarships and bursaries for my Education. It's not necessarily what you know, but who you know too that counts!
-Any other comments would be appreciated.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page