International Student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: International Student
By confused on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:48 am: Edit

my school is IB-- total class size 20, total number of people taking the IB diploma 6.

Only four people have SAT scores (international school in Bali), I have the highest of 1420, 800, 680, 650. Previous graduates have went to: UCLA, Stanford, NYU, Purdue, Hopkins, Denison, Manchester, Kalamazoo, and Carlton. (One girl got into Carlton with a 1100 something and barely any SAT II's).

Grade inflation defers in class. I have about 3 seven's and six's, and one 5. This is considered top notch, and only two others in my grade have it and they have applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Swarthmore, and Oxford.

My extra curriculars are the most extensive and are super strong with more leadership and participation roles than all of my classmates.

This makes me seem really weak compared with the rest of you uber applicants, so where do you suggest me to apply?

By ib student on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:40 am: Edit

i'm not exactly sure how strong you are as an applicant. i am also an ib student with a 40 pt transcript grade and 776 in higher level. i would say that at least 10 people in my class are at 38+ points.
while i may be wrong, it seems that extracurriculars, if you are an international student, are not as important as you might imagine. it doesnt cut it to just have been the student council president or played varsity basketball. you have ot remmber that in the states, competition for extracurriclars are much stronger. colleges know that making the basketball team isnt a big deal, so when it comes to admissions, it doesnt really matter either.
so judging from what you've told me so far, you're a strong applicant, but if you're thinking about HYPs you better have an edge.
i am applying to penn, columbia, cornell, northwestern, duke and nyu and i am not going to be suprised if i get rejected from all of them (see, i have england as backup).
good luck

By confused on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

thanks IB student.

How were your Collegeboard test scores?

The thing is, our school just isn't really "college-oriented." I mean, the SAT scores we have are considerably lower than what people on this board get.

I have a 38+ due to CAS and EE.

And I get you about the extra curriculars, there is no way we can go "all-state" or any of that. There just aren't that many opportunities.

So I really don't know where my range is. And to IB Student, we're applying to all the same places with the exception of Columbia and NYU.

By ib studen on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:22 am: Edit

you should really asking your college advisor. he would know best.
my sats are 690m690v 790chinese 680writing 680math2c
and my 40 pts are raw

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Right now, i've got about a 41/42 point transcript (without the 3 bonus), and I'm at an international school in germany. I'm captain of the basketball team and also student council president. What else do u think I should do, in terms of EC's, to make myself look better or stand out?

By ib student on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

extracurriculars really should be something you do because you want to. not because you want to make yourself stand out.
they like commitment. my friend with 40 (year 12 first term), 42 (year 12 second term), 42 (year 13 first term) transcript grade go deferred from yale ed. and i mean not including the 3 bonus. and she had a hell of alot of extracurriculars. student council president, scholarship stuff and tons of awards. try find somethign you enjoy doing. dont go out of your way to pepper you transcript withm.
colleges want a well rounded class, not a class full of well rounded students. best to specialize. probably all the students that iveys get have had at least 3 presidential positions in highshcool.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page