Success at Ivy with low SATs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Success at Ivy with low SATs
By Entropyplus (Entropyplus) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

I recently got into one of the top Ivies, despite my low SATs (around 1300) and now I'm worried about being able to succeed there...any thoughts would be appreciated.

By Tsukasa (Tsukasa) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

Just a couple questions.
Do you have a lot of awards?
Are you applying as freshman or transfer?
Tell us more about yourself.
:-)
By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

yeah, me too,I got a 1400 and got into Cornell and I am going. But I am so scared that I will be the stupidest one of the class. I guess we'll just have to work harder. Don't worry about it.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I know someone that got into Cornell with a 1300, he was very active in many clubs and other ECs though--most spirited senior at his school or something like that.

I'm sure you'll do well if you try to succeed.

Congrats to both of you!

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Why do you keep on posting this? You've already have gotten plenty of responses.

By Cornell998 (Cornell998) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

SAT's mean little at Cornell. I have noticed that, for the most part, SAT's are reflective of geographic and ethnic background. I have many friends here at Cornell who scored in the high 1500's on the SAT. For the most part, these kids seem to be from the Northeast or California and are quite well off financially. Personally, I scored in the low 1400's and come from a blue collar city in Ohio.

I spend much time getting some of my friends through the classes here in engineering. What I have noticed is that many of them were taught the SAT and the AP test by very good teachers in high school. The problem once they came to Cornell, however, is that they did not know how to learn on their own. Consequentially, many seem to suffer from the dramatic decline in the personal nature of high school teachers vs. college prof's. By the way, if it helps any i'll have a 3.9 in engineering at the end of my freshman year.

Most of the successful students that I have met seem to be the students who could score 1300+ without prep or tutoring. Those who learn to understand, rather than memorize are the most successful.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page