NYU transfer hopeful ... college athlete

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: NYU transfer hopeful ... college athlete
By Jjmelt132 (Jjmelt132) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

What are my chances of getting into NYU's CAS Department of Journalism as a fall transfer?

-sophmore Communications major at Virginia Tech
-came to tech on a soccer scholarship.
-cut from the team since Tech is joining the ACC.

My field is print journalism:

-News Editor of our daily college newspaper
-great editorial internship experience
-awesome reccomendations.
-NYU Women's soccer coach on my side (although I feel she has little pull).
-good extra curriculars
-strong essay, resume and work samples ... all of which I submitted.

THE CLINCHER: My grades were horrible when I played soccer!

fall: 2.64
spring: 3.41
fall: 3.78
spring: probably 3.61
OVERALL: 3.23 ... not very competitive for NYU

In my essay I gave a detailed description of my gradual improvment and how my shift in dedication went from soccer to my career. I was totally honest and totally myself.

A girl in my class just got accepted to CAS as a transfer but she has a 4.0. I called NYU, they said I should know at the end of May. Is this not a good sign????

My grades may not shine, but my actual career experience blows many out of the water. I have been published in many diff. newspapers (I have over 130 clips) I have made The New York Times collegiate wire service and U-WIRE.

HIGHSCHOOL:
-3.5 GPA
-tons of EC's
-1250 SAT (720 verbal)

IF YOU DONT THINK ILL GET IN...offer any advice on how i might get in next spring semester, or even what I should be doing now to hopefully swing those admissions officers my way before its too late.

I want this so badly! Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page