I talked to a harvard interviewer...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: I talked to a harvard interviewer...
By Justmee (Justmee) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

... and asked what I should be aiming at for my SAT. and the prof said that as long as it's around the average score (600 and above he said) then Harvard won't really look at the score. He said, they will be looking more at EC's instead.
Is this true?????

Surely you couldn't expect to get into an Ivy league with 600!! What do you think?

By Zzii (Zzii) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

While 600 is low, I think your interviewer makes a good point. Above a certain score, it is clear that you are qualified to attend their school. They will be looking instead for other things like EC's. More realistically, 700+ is preferred at ivies. However 10 or 20 more points on the SAT is probably not as influential as more impressive EC's.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

That's BS, they want you to apply and then reject your ass.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

That doesn't make sense. Presumably you talked to an alumni interviewer. Unfortunately, some do not keep up with Harvard's admissions practices.

While it's possible to get into an Ivy with a 600, it is probably very rare. Probably only people with extremely rare and fabulous talents as well as people such as some recruited athletes with national/international achievements could get in with those kind of scores.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

It's also true that academically, one would expect a 1500+ score applicant to be more impressive than a 1200+ score applicant on the average.

By Saxfreq1128 (Saxfreq1128) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Not at all. I know a girl who got into Harvard with a 1220, so-so SAT ii's, a 3.7 or so, and substantial ECs but nothing like "saving the world" or "curing cancer." The SATs aren't a measure of intelligence, quite frankly. Anyone who has great SATs but who has nothing to offer that the other 20,000 people haven't offered is, well . . . a reject. Pun intended.

By Shauna (Shauna) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Saxfreg1128--

What was this girl's ethnicity? Did a parent go to Harvard?

Shauna

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

SATs don't assure admitance anywhere...Especially at the higher level schools i.e. HARVARD...Do you honestly think that your 1530 gets you in over the kid with the 1490? In receiving as many great SAT scores as they do, don't you think that their importance would drop off a little bit?? They want to see the things that define you as an individual (ECs)...SATs are important, dont get me wrong, but they are by no means the most important factor...

By Justmee (Justmee) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

"Anyone who has great SATs but who has nothing to offer that the other 20,000 people haven't offered is, well . . . a reject. Pun intended."

That's not pun! :(

By Poeticjustice (Poeticjustice) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Where do I find out about what SAT's equal GPA's (canadian). This is all Greek info for me and I'm trying to find out about Harvard.

By Meh (Meh) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

did the interviewer mean 600 (M + V) or 600 M 600 v = 1200?

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I'm sure the interviewer meant a combined score (M+V, as you put it) of 600. Yes. That's it...

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

If you get a 600 combined on the SAT, I think it's safe to say that you're not going to go to Harvard.

Poeticjustice, the SAT is just a standardized test out of 1600 with two main sections, Math and Verbal. And I'm sure there are plenty of students with ~1200 SAT scores and fantastic academic achievements. However, it is safe to say that the AVERAGE student with a 1500 is more impressive than the AVERAGE student with a 1200 in other respects as well.

By Canadaclaire (Canadaclaire) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:44 am: Edit

Justmee, "Anyone who has great SATs but who has nothing to offer that the other 20,000 people haven't offered is, well . . . a reject. Pun intended." is a pun. saxfreq1128 was playing on the two definitions of reject, one being someone who has been rejected and the other, a slang term meaning a loser, eg. reject from society.
But more importantly even if it wasn't a pun why did you have to point it out? Your post had absolutely nothing to do with this post's topic. I am so annoyed with everyone on this website who tries to prove that they are smarter than everyone else. Why can't you just be secure with your intellectual abilities instead of picking on people just trying to throw in a joke, and who, might I add are helping YOU on YOUR post. Get a life.

By Penguinzchaseme (Penguinzchaseme) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

The point of Justmee's post was not to say that it was not a pun, but that she was offended by it (hence the sad face)

By Dabigv12 (Dabigv12) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

i second that justmee should get a life... wah wahh all the pretty koreans get into harvard wahhhh im a failure wahh!!

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

You guys are stupid. He meant average score of Harvard(1480)!!!!

By Hertish (Hertish) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Totally agree with Dabigv12

By Poeticjustice (Poeticjustice) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Ubercollegeman, thanks for the reply and info. So no matter what, if you try to go to the US for schooling (university) a student would have to take SATs?

By Madness (Madness) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:18 am: Edit

all i can say is i hope all this about SAT's not being AS important is true. i'm one of those ppl who SUUUUCK at standardized tests, my V's a 760 but my math's a 620. i'm retaking them of course but do you think colleges would see the major V/M discrepency and think "oh, she must not be totally stupid, maybe she's just not a math person" or just write me off for the lower score??

By Ejkshorty (Ejkshorty) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Im saying this as a person with personal experience. A high score on the SATs does not guarantee anything. But neither does the "I have a friend who got into harvard on a 1200 n a 3.7" statement, because that is seriously a one in five-thousand case. Anything over a 1400 is game for any Ivies, but it is what you accomplish in ECs that matters the most. The majority of guys applying to Ivies will have a 1400+, a 3.9, community service and either a sport or a club on their resume, and guess what- 90 percent of them still get rejected. There will be the occasional 1300 guy who gets in because he separates himself from others- he might be an alumni child or of a certain ethnicity or he might have raised ten thousand dollars for breast cancer- you just have to separate yourself somehow from twenty thousand other applicants.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page