Chances at Georgetown (Foreign Serv.), GWU (Elliot), St. Joh

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at Georgetown (Foreign Serv.), GWU (Elliot), St. Joh
By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm wondering what my chances of getting into GU (School of Foreign Service), GWU (Elliot School), Claremont McKenna College, American University, and St. John's -- Maryland.

Here I am:

ACT Composite: 32
SAT I: 1280 (Yeah, I'll obviously use my ACT scores)
GPA: 3.70/4.00 (Also, if it matters, my grades have taken a steep upward trend since freshman year)
Rank: School doesn't do class rankings (will this hurt or help me, I'd probably be slightly higher than average)

School profile: Small prep school in Southern California, fondly called "finest prep school west of the Hudson river" by my English teacher. It's really competitive and everyone is SAT and AP gung ho, I unfortunately am getting caught up in it this year, sacrificing my laid back, yet intellectual, "whatever" attitude.

Course load:

Junior year --
AP Lit and Comp A+/(A+)
AP 2D Art Studio A/(A)
AP Spanish Language B+/(A-)
Math Studies A+/A+ (I hate math and this is the easy course...)
Honors American History B+/(A-)

ECs:

> Traveled to Panama last summer on my own for most of the summer to work on my Spanish
> Traveled to Argentina by myself for a month this past winter and stayed with friends -- worked on my Spanish and learned about the culture.
>Spending the upcoming month of July studying in La Universidad Complutense in Madrid, Spain.
> Nine month or so internship researching international events for a publication at USD. Mildly competitive and very serious work.
> Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts
> Varsity tennis last year (quit to start independent study Kung Fu, far more interesting)
> Approximately 200 hours community service over the last three years, working at the local VA hospital and various projects through school and Boy Scouts.
> Developed, strong art portfolio
> Night art classes, as well as my studio time at school
> Published/award winning poetry on county level
> Various art awards on county and state level
> Novice, JV, and most likely Varsity captain next year of the Academic League team
> Dipped into night classes at the community college (Russian class, earned a B) just to see what it was like.

Any thoughts, I know I should obviously improve my scores, but does anyone think there's anything really weak that I should focus extra on?

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

you have a good chance at every one of the colleges except maybe george town and claremont. Up the SAT score. Make sure you show interest in st. johns- its quite important.

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

whops, didn't see the act score. yeah, you have a pretty good chance at every college on there.

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Cool, thanks. Anyone else's opinion?

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

will u marry me?

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

Uhh, no... thank you though. Anyone else have any non-propositions to add?

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

bump...

By Solenis (Solenis) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

You have an excellent shot at American. I'm assuming this is your backup school. I would also bet that you'll get in at GW--your international experience and interest in languages will certainly help.

Same with Georgetown...your ACT is about average from what I've seen from admitted students, SAT a bit low. But you know that. Georgetown, especially the SFS, places a high value on linguistics and foreign interest. Make sure for GU to write a great essay that highlights something unique about you or a passion that you've cultivated over time. My Georgetown interviewer told me that GU looks at class rank/gpa first above all, so you may be at a bit of a disadvantage there.

I'd give you a good shot at CMC as well; with St. Johns, you just have to profess your undying love for a classical education and you'll do fine. You just have to ask yourself if you can reconcile that kind of education.... ;)

Good luck to you!

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

...bump

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Thanks for the response Solenis. I'm actually thinking about not wasting my time applying to American because it seems to me that I have a good shot at GWU at least and I really don't want to go to American at all. Does anyone think this is a crapshoot?

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

No class rank is fine. My school doesn't do that too.

You have a plethora of internationl activities and experience that will look good for SFS. You could always raise your test scores a bit more, and if you get that done you'll have a good shot.

It's critical to select good teachers to write recs as well as write a set of polished essays yourself.

Good luck!

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Yeah, I don't think I'll have a whole lot of problems getting teachers for reqs -- my English teacher/academic league coach, my math teacher, my art teacher, and a couple of Spanish teachers. Also, is it good to have four or five reqs and then being able to read through them and see which ones make me look the uhh, for lack of a better word, best?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

buuuump

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

...bump...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page