Can my friend get in to yale?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Can my friend get in to yale?
By Jared (Jared) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

My good friend didn't even consider Yale but her guidance counselor just told her she should def look there...do you think she has any shot of getting in?

SAT: probably mid-1300s (she won't tell me exactly)
Class Rank: probably 50th out of 700
EC's: good list with some leadership (co-editor-in-chief of newspaper, vp of entire northeast region in her jewish youth group, french club officer)

Now, it looks as if she has no shot based on this but she spent last summer as a counselor to inner-city kids in new jersey and shes spending this summer helping people in ghana (africa)...shell probably have really good essays because of these experiences and her great writing skills but are her amazing volunteering and unique experiences good enough to give her any shot?

By Miumiu016 (Miumiu016) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

This is just what I heard, so don't quote me on it (and don't tell your friend either, it'll just make her panic unnecessarily), but two Asian guys who applied last year (both got rejected) told me that that one year, Yale had a 1500 cut-off.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Don't believe that, it's simply a rumor. Yale, like most other schools, does not employ any sort of SAT cut-off.

By Bigtymer2454 (Bigtymer2454) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

if you mean 1500 sat, then its bs, because A) schools don't have official "cutoffs" and unofficial ones are never that high and B) its impossible based on my handy dandy usnews guide

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Yale's AVERAGE is below 750 for each of Math and Verbal. Something about that does not compute. Personally I know a female who got in with a 1400 and 3.4 GPA.

She has a chance, but I wouldn't put my money on it. Her academic record is great, but among those accepted to Yale (not because of connections/money/URM/etc), I think hers would be one of the worst, which gives her fairly low odds for getting in. But if that 1400/3.4 can do it, I suppose she has a decent shot.

By Miumiu016 (Miumiu016) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Sorry for the false alarm!!! I don't know why they would tell me that though, were they just bitter? One got a 1480 and I don't know what the other guy got, but I'm assuming it was under a 1500.

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

Saying that HYPMS have a 1500 cut-off is ridiculous, it's just from bitter people who didn't get in.

By Jared (Jared) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

anybody else on this girls chances?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

If she can develop her awesome summer activities/ECs in an essay/rec, then I think she has a shot. Going above and beyond in anything is worth quite a bit. I would say 35%.

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

It sounds like a super-long shot...probably not a chance in the world unless the applicant can spin her unique experiences into an unusually compelling essay. Even succeeding in that...I wouldn't count on Yale.

Other schools may be better fits for her, especially if she was never considering Yale in the first place.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page