A.P. Courses

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: A.P. Courses
By Katieburgess (Katieburgess) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

About how many A.P. courses are good to take in your last year of high school. My school only offers 2 and I was wondering if I should be concerned about that on my application.

Thanks for any advice.

*KaTiE*

By Jnick (Jnick) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I don't think you should be concerned with that at all, if that's all you can take them tell colleges that. I'm sure they will understand.

By Imustbebored (Imustbebored) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Always a good decision. It kinda shows growth by stepping up and taking a new challenge. colleges for sure will but your grades and classes in perspective of your educational opportunities. Try taking summer school at a local community college. that shows u are taking advantage of educational opportunities.

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

My school offers 15 or so (French Literature, French Language, Spanish Literature, Spanish Language, Art-Drawing, Art-2D Design, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Programming, Statistics and Probability, English Literature, Calculus, U.S History, European History.)

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Even if your school doesn't offer more than two AP classes, I'm almost sure you can arrange to take more than two AP tests if you're really motivated, furthermore, you can always take additional community college classes.

Don't kill yourself though if that sounds difficult.

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

My school offers on 6 AP's(none in English), but some of my honors classes are way harder than my AP classes.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

You actually don't need to take the course in order to take the test, but I suppose it is "better", even though the classes didn't really help me. It's more independent work anyway. So if you really want the credit, you can just buy the books and study on your own. Would that still look good on applications if you only take the test and not course?

By Shae07 (Shae07) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

How hard is it in AP classes?

By Baggins (Baggins) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

My school has 9 AP classes but the school system only allows you to take 8. Some AP classes don't prepare you for the exam. My sister signed up and paid for the AP Computer Science exam and later found out about the Marine Biology case study she was supposed to be doing. She almost had a nervous breakdown. The fact that most new computers don't have MSDOS to conduct the case study didn't help. She finally sat down with my dad and her teacher and worked something out. For other classes she suspected that teachers would that earlier so she had started studying on her own for those exams.

By Susu (Susu) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:51 am: Edit

If your school only offers two APs, and you can get into them, then take them IF they're in a field you enjoy. If you're an aspiring engineer or scientist, you'd better go for AP Calculus/Physics/Chem. But if you're a Poetry and French type of person, let them slide. Either way, be grateful--our school offers 21 AP courses and you're expected to take 7-10. It's brutal.

By Untie_The_Cows (Untie_The_Cows) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

Take both courses so whatever schools you're applying to know that you took the most demanding courseload possible. When you send your transcript to the schools you're applying to, it will come with a profile of your school saying which AP courses it offers so this won't harm you when it comes time to apply. i wish I were you, I'm going to have taken 10 AP courses by the time I graduate. It's pretty awful.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page