Chances at Midwest LAC's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at Midwest LAC's
By Nebzter (Nebzter) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

Have only taken two lab sciences (hon. biology and chemistry) and "Earth Science"; other than that I have received A's in the standard college preparation requirements

SAT = 1340
ACT = 33
No SAT II's yet
GPA = 4.0
No class rank @ school, no weighted GPA's

Will have taken 8 out of 10 honors/AP classes by end of senior year; there are more AP classes but they are all on-line and are at a speed that will not help you in the AP Tests or in getting the grade you want; the teachers for these AP classes are pretty much awful

EC's included president of Model UN, mentoring, foreign language tutoring, work at local newspaper, editor on school newspaper, managing editor (this year) of yearbook and editor-in-chief next year, various leadership roles, band, intramural sports, involved and volunteer at church, Spanish Club

Would like to get into following schools:
Carleton (under ED)
Macalester
Oberlin
Grinnell
U. of Chicago
Pomona
Bard
Reed
Whitman
Brown (should I even try?)
Reach: Swarthmore
Safety: St. Olaf

By Procrastinating (Procrastinating) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

Hi Nebzter-

I'd say that if Carleton is your first choice, then you should definitely apply ED. I was accepted a few years back under ED with stats a little below yours (1320 SAT, 30 ACT, 4.0 GPA, valedictorian at small public school, the standard assemblage of extracurriculars, no SAT IIs, and my high school didn't offer AP classes). I had an excellent interview really helped my application. I think my chance of being accepted would have been MUCH lower had I applied regular decision, and Carleton seems to get more selective every year (I heard a rumor that for the admission cycle for the class of 2008, the percent admitted dropped below 30% for the first time). So, with your background, I would think that you're a definite admit for early decision, but under regular decision it would be a lot tougher to be admitted. That's just my humble opinion, so take it as you will! Good luck with everything!

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Do not try for Brown....the SAT is a little low. Swarthmore is a good reach.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

The OP's ACT, however, is not low for Brown - it's quite good. He/she ought to send her ACT scores... and DEFINITELY give it a try. :)

By Nebzter (Nebzter) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

Any other schools/techniques you guys recommend? Thanks for all of your help.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page