Sophmore Thinking hard to get into a well known collage

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Sophmore Thinking hard to get into a well known collage
By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Hey, im in 10th grade at Whitney HS, California one of the highest ranked schools nations (if not the highest in california)

my projected stats as of the end of junior year would be:
GPA: 3.35 (Unweighted)(weighted 3.46)(low because it dropped when i was accepted into whitney hs, a lot harder)
GPA end of 1st semester in senior year: 3.42 (unweighted) (very close to 4.0 weighted..if not 4.0)

SAT: Couldent know because the new sat will start with 06 and were seemingly screwed...out of 2400

Im a computer administrator at our school (out of the only 2) and i know alot about computers...i can program over 20 languages...

i have made a program for Model United Nations which took 3 years to make and was actually sold to another school

I will be in mun for 4 years.

i hope i could possibly get into MIT , Harvard , Yale, or Caltech? any chances?

for ec's my dad has a programming company and i did soem work for him, actualyl the mun program is sold under his company and i play tennis/swim. I get me being a computer admin is ec too.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

just editing something (the program will take 3 years ..on 2nd year now and we HOPE to sell it)

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Your GPA is kinda low. Work hard to get good grades and get it up there. It's hard to really know without any SAT score. That will be critical. What about other EC's?

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Your GPA is extremely low for those types of schools, so test scores will be crucial in molding you as even a possible candidate for those schools. It's probably too early to tell.

Your best bet, I'm sure you know, is finding a definitive way to focus on your talents with computer programming. Some advice: It's easy to write "I spend 40+ hours/week doing this and that" or "I know 20+ programming languages", but that's really just talk. Find a way to demonstrate your experience and physically prove how much you've accomplished. Written praise from the schools using your software, for instance? Many students boast, but the ones that really shine have something to show for themselves. Just a thought, from past experience. good luck!

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Your GPA is low for the Ivies. It doesn't matter that you go to one of the hardest publics, because most other applicants also go to hard schools, take hard courses, get good grades, and have good ec's to boot.

You have a very low chance of getting into MIT, Caltech, H, Y etc as it stands. That GPA will wreck you if you don't raise it - schools will perceive you as a slacker, even if you have high board scores.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

well something came up and it seems that after drivers ed and health etc i would have a 3.5 gpa unweighted (3.65 with weight). Is that too bad for such schools? I also could get letters from my fathers company, the school that bought our product, my comp tech teacher for working in an "IT" environment. It would also be even higher senior year at semester..woud it be better to try then.

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

omg!!! i just read this amazing book about whitney high school. it was called school of dreams by edward humes. do you know anything about the book, or experiences that you encountered while humes was at your school? this is the BEST book i read all year!! i envy you that you can go to whitney

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

You go to Whitney? Have you ever taken a class by Ed or heard of him? Ed rules! He's the balding old guy who is ridiculously funny.

Anyway, like everyone else said, your GPA is a bit low, and I personally think those schools are long shots. On the other hand, your odds at Berkeley are pretty good. I'd consider applying there as a more realistic reach/match. You should still apply to those schools--just don't pin your dreams on getting in.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

yes i have met Mr. Humes and yes he was at our school. There is a Mr. EDnof at our school, is that who you might be talking about? Anyway thanks guys but what do you guys think would be the possibilies for me if i get a 3.67 gpa unweighted, 4.0 weighted, a really high sat score, around 2300 and have the ec and special talents such as programming? Also would collages not not consider the fact that i changed schools and thats why my sophmore gpa dropped and would they not look at my increased 4.0's throught junior/1st 1/2 of senior year as very good?

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

They'll think it's good, but with those SWARMS of extremely great applicants they get, they'd be hard-pressed to take a 3.6 GPA kid over a 3.95+ GPA kid that is similar otherwise.

And the Ed I'm talking about is Mr. Smilde.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

I see anything i can do, im only a sophmore so i have time, anything i can do that can potentially get me into those collages other than increase gpa/get good sat scores because im already working on those.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

Anything i can do***?

By Dabigv12 (Dabigv12) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

college, c-o-l-l-e-g-e

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Oh one more thing, i got a deploma in c and c++ last year.:) 100% on c and 99% on c++.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

how would being indian (from india) help me?

By Internationalcc (Internationalcc) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

I don't see it helping you at all... a lot of Indians at MIT, Caltech, HYPS :-( sorry just a reality...and a lot of Asians...which makes it even tougher for internationals from that area to apply and get accepted :-(

Bring your grades up!

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 05:04 am: Edit

Being Indian would most likely hurt your application even more. :(

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

oh boy how great.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

can u overdo recommendations? i can probably get over 6 of them..

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

I believe that there is a summer math program at MIT you might want to look into that might help your changes at these institutions. Maybe someone on this thread will know its name. You would also be able to tell if you *liked* the school or not. MIT is pretty intense - one friend likened it to 'drinking out of a fire hose'.

By Hopefulkid (Hopefulkid) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

interesting thanks, i'll look into it.

By Unluckycharms (Unluckycharms) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

I would think knowing how to spell would be a prerequisite for ivy-league admission.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page