*question on hs classes*

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: *question on hs classes*
By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

If you take physics in high school, would you still need to take it in college? If you do, would it be better to get a background on it before you take it in college? Which would look better on a transcript if you're applying to a school like BU or plan to major in advertising/marketing (communications school)? It's hard b/c some schools just look for the highest classes that you're taking.

Thanks

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Probably wouldn't matter, unless the adcoms somehow thought that you tried to avoid difficult classes. Typically there are many good-looking alternatives to physics (which isn't for everyone, that's for sure..).

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

For an advertising/marketing major, physics is NOT required. You will have to take at least one science class, but you'll be able to choose (and some schools have "easier" science classes for non-science majors). I really wouldn't worry about it unless you want to take physics (in which case there still isn't anything to worry about).

By Supafly003 (Supafly003) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Good question. I'm in the same situation. I dont know if I should take Physics because my major has nothing to do with it and I'm stick of science. But my guidance councelor has really been urging kids to take it.. most especially if your tryin to get into a competitive school. If your going to try to get into a really competitive school, it appearently helps?

Additional advice from anyone else would be nice.. my schedule isnt even finalized.

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

a girl in one of my classes told me that colleges look for the three main science courses on your transcript: lab bio, lab chem & lab physics.

what if you just jump straight from lab chem hon. to AP Bio... Would AP Bio make a difference in your transcript (for my major & acceptance at BU or some other school like that)?

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I would definitely take physics if i were you. To me, physics is the background from which all other sciences come from, and unlike other HS classes, a lot of real learning happens there (I do have a good teacher though). Also, taking the class just gives you much clearer reasoning for things that happen around you. I dont know how it would affect college admissions, but i do know i would take it anyway.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

I would disagree (keep in mind that I have taken physics and I'm not against it), only because I think that when a college admin is looking at Lab Physics Honors vs AP Biology.... Well, you do the math.

My previous post was in reference to (re)taking physics in college when your major is completely unrelated and you don't want to take it.

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

With me, I can only fit three more slots in my scheduling. If I take AP Bio, it counts as two, one is the class & the other is the elective that goes with it (environmental or meteorology). This leaves me with either physics H or spanish 5H for the other one.

I would think spanish 5 would be more reasonable, considering my major, but I have this feeling that physics would be what the colleges would want to look at. But when I think of it this way, why take AP Bio? I'm just going to take it for the AP credit, but is it worth it? Or would physics H and spanish 5H be better? What's the advantage in skipping Physics and taking an AP Bio class? It would show that I'm willing to go beyond what's required and that I'm challenging myself, right? What's the advantage of taking physics H? I can say that I have a basic idea of science & also I don't need an AP class since I'm not majoring in it at all. I want to go to a well known school so I'm thinking they would want you to take the main classes & also highest classes even when it doesn't involve your major. Is this true?

I need opinions! This decision is hard for me. Can anyone give me help? You can post here or aim me at skyline929.

BTW, Demingy, what college are you looking at and your major?

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

bump

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Currently I'm looking at Reed, Univ of Mich, Wash U, and a couple of colleges in Colorado and my major is in Molecular Biology/Genetics. Of course this means that I could be biased, but from what I've heard, AP tends to hold a little more weight than Honors. If you want to take Physics, that is a different story though. I can also see the benefit of making the most of the three slots you have left.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page