Chances at NYU, USC, UC's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at NYU, USC, UC's
By Chicagojen (Chicagojen) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I'm a junior at a competitive Chicago area public school. My dream is to either go to NYU USC, or one of the UC's. I got a 31 on the April 3rd ACT, and hope to increase it to a 32 or 33 next time I take it. My PSAT was a 194, and I am taking the SAT on May 1. I have gotten almost all A's since my sophomore year, however Freshman year I slacked off and got mostly Bs and a couple of C's, which brings down my GPA and class rank. Currently I am 40/350, and should move up to around 30 at the end of the semester. My GPA (5 point scale) is a 4.9 weighted a 4.3 unweighted. I am taking AP US History, Psych, and English Language this year, and AP CalcAB, and English Lit next year. I have been in mostly honors classes, but a few regular ones (once again, freshman year) I'm also taking an AP equivilent Chemistry class at a community college over the summer. For extracurriculars I've done:

Band (I play trombone)
Jazz Band
Marching Band
Pep Band
Madrigal Brass
French Club
Key Club
National Honor Society
Church Youth Group
District Honor Band
All Conference Honor Band
Camp Counsleur (3 Summers)
Volunteering (200 Hours+)

I was also elected to the French Honor Society, was section leader, and got Academic and Music varsity letters.

So what do you think? Do I have a shot at NYU, USC, or any of the UC's? Any thing I can do to improve my chances?

By Thefunkpig (Thefunkpig) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

incredibly, I applied to exactly all of those schools, no more, no less, and got in to each one, so here's my opinion.

My extracc were almost as good as yours, i dont know your sat or sat 2 scores so i cannot tell, but if your sats are above 1350 and have 3 sat 2s in the 700s, you are definitely gonna get into at least a few UCs, and have fair shots at either private school. What is your major?

well, looking good so far

By Thefunkpig (Thefunkpig) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

right now i'm in the process of selecting which one to go to (i am aiming for business, got into stern and marshall, i have to compete to get into haas later, if i choose there)

By Chicagojen (Chicagojen) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

I want to do a History major, and possibly pre-med.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page