Need important advice FAST

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Need important advice FAST
By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Ok. This is a sticky situation. I was accepted to a school in Philly with a scholarship. The only problem is that I am afraid it will be taken away from me because I have done horrible this year. I have had pretty decent grades in all my AP classes, but in my math class I have done reaslly horrible. I had a 63 and a 65 for the first two quarters and my teacher gave me a 50 for this quarter. Unfortunately he gave me the wrong grade and is to stubborn to admit it. Now I have a meeting with my principle. But despite this, to pass this class I have to get a 97 next quarter to pass the class. That is not a problem (because I am SERIOUSLY getting help), but I am worried that my final average will cause my scholarship to be taken away. What kinds of grades do you have to get in order for a scholarship to be taken away? In my other classes I have not failed a thing. I have been doing pretty decent. For some reason this quarter I have drppped alittle in my grades, but not as much as math. What should I do? I am seriousely worried. I need this scholarship in order to attend college

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I don't know where you're going (which would have helped), but it seems pretty obvious that you may be in some kind of jeopardy. It depends on the school and the nature of the scholarship (i.e. top athletic recruit on full scholarship, etc.). A lot of schools 'look the other way' on athletic scholarships.

Most people here will tell you to write a letter explaining yourself to the admissions office, pre-empting the day they find out how poorly you are doing....

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

should i call the school and ask?

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

That would be a pretty good idea. They'll figure it out sooner or later anyway, and I'm sure it would be better for you to know now if you will lose the scholarship so you can make other plans if need be.

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

My final avergae wont be an F though. I still would be passing.Maybe 68 or 70. My other grades would be above an 80. I mean...am I really in that much danger?

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:11 am: Edit

Doesnt your whole gpa have to drop a significant amount in order to have your admissions (or scholarships) taken away. I am not going to an IVY league school or anything. Its pretty mediocre. The acceptance rate is like 70%. Does this help me>

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:11 am: Edit

Doesnt your whole gpa have to drop a significant amount in order to have your admissions (or scholarships) taken away. I am not going to an IVY league school or anything. Its pretty mediocre. The acceptance rate is like 70%. Does this help me>

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

It depends on the requirements for the scholarship (which is why I suggest contacting them). If the scholarship is based on an 'A' average and you end with a 'B' average, you could lose the scholarship once they get your final transcripts. At the very least you should ask what the requirements are for the scholarship so you know if you'll be "safe" or not.

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

It says that in order to keep the scholarship (whilein college) I can not drop below a 3.0. I wonder if that goes for high school as well. If so what is an 87.4 considered to be. I know I am higher than that but I am just playing it safe. Another question I have is....do colleges see your individual quarterly grades?

Thanks for all ur help guys...I appreciate it

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page