Foreign Exchange Program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Foreign Exchange Program
By Fusiachi (Fusiachi) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:17 am: Edit

I'm going abroad, through AFS, to Paraguay for a semester, starting in August. Do foreign-exchange programs like this significantly help in high-level admissions? My stats aren't bad, though I'm still waiting to take SAT IIs. I'm hoping something like this will stick out to Adcoms.

Stats - SAT I - 1440, 800V (Retake in June to raise the math)

Class Rank, 1 out of 115 (Though it's not extremely competitive)

Unweighted GPA - 3.85/4.0
Weighted GPA - 4.0+ (My school is retroactively re-weighting grades over the summer)

Only AP course available is English, but I intend to take Spanish self taught as I should return from Paraguay nearly fluent.

It seems to me like I don't really stick out above the rest of intellectual white kids out there. Will my exchange trip make a difference, perhaps?

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

Yes, AFS will help, especially if you have an interest in such things like linguistics or international studies. I'm hoping all my travelling through South America and the Iberian Peninsula will help me as well. But please please please remember, enjoy the hell out of AFS for the program, not just to look good on your app. My parents were really a big part of the AFS program in my home city and they feel that it was horrible for students who didn't really care about it to go as they were taking spaces up for kids who were gung ho. I'm not saying that's you, but enjoy it buddy!

By Fusiachi (Fusiachi) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Of course! I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll prove to be a fantastic experience.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page