Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated
By Tom (Tom) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

I am a sophmore in high school right now and I would like to go to either U Penn, Columbia, or Johns Hopkins

-right now I have a 4.25 gpa
-rank 4/476
- i got a 1310 on my PSAT but i plan to bring it up to at least a 1450 on my SAT if not higher
-I play soccer, piano, and Im on a rowing team
-Im in habitat for humanity and Interact(which is like another community service club),and FBLA and I plan on joining National and French Honor Society
- I also plan to volunteer at a hospital this summer

If I kept this up what do you think my chances would be at each? and if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Looks good to me. Write a good essay and get good recs. I suggest Harry Bauld's book, ON WRITING THE COLLEGE APPLICATION ESSAY; it's pure gold, whereas some other books on the same subject have a b.s. quotient.

And then remember...admissions at the highest-level colleges involve some random factors you just can't account for...all the schools reject their share of 800-800 SAT scores and valedictorians.

In your essay, be yourself. Work on the damn thing weeks and months early not at the last minute. You hope to come through as someone who has more than just ambition and diligence going for them, someone who will be a "plus" factor in the campus community.

Of all your EC's, I like the rowing the best...it's the most unusual, most individual of the lot. Mind, I'm not an Admissions officer but that's how it would strike me.

I bet you will bring up your scores to at least 1450.

Good luck.

By Tom (Tom) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

-Thedad

Thanks a lot for your advice it will help me a lot

By rockstar on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

what school do you go to, Tom?

By Tom on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Pope High School - Its a public school in the Atlanta suburbs

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page