Chances at wellesley/princeton

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at wellesley/princeton
By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

do u think i can get into top girl schools or ivy leagues....

thanks

here are my stats...

*AP
Bio: 5
by the time I graduate, I will have taken 9 AP classes

*SAT
1380 but i know i can improve it up to around 1450

*SAT II
Bio M: 770
taking 3 more in may and then some next yr

*Recs and Interview: excellent
Essay: pretty good- unique

*ECS:

School-based

Young Republicans (2002-2004): vice president [2 years]
Students Against Destructive Decisions (2001-2004): president, secretary
Family Career and Community Leaders of America (2001-2004): president [1 year], vice president [2 years], knowledge bowl member
Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society (2003-04): Vice President, Public-Relations Officer, Secretary
P.A.W.S. (Pursuing Achievement with Success) Board (2003-04): Chair [1 year] Student Representative [1 year]
Latin Club (2001-2004)
Math Team (1998-2004)
Beta Club (2001-2004): president
Lakeside Review/Memoirs Literary Magazine (2001-2004): editor, editor-in-chief next yr
Lakeside Live (2001-2003): reporter, anchor
Debate (2001-2004): co-captain
Student Council (1998-2001): executive public relations officer, homeroom representative [3 years]
Prom Committee (2003-04): Invitation Board Head
National Honor Society (2003-2004): meritorious member
LHS Literary team (2003-04): girls extemporaneous speaking representative (03)

Community Based

Augusta State University Foreign Language Alliance for International Rapport (2004)
Junior Classical League (2001-2004)
Columbia County Youth Leadership (2004-04)
Augusta Chronicle’s “Xtreme” Teen Leadership Board (2004-04): writer, reporter
Muslim Youth of Augusta (1997-2004)
Pakistani-Indian Women’s Cultural Class

Volunteer

Augusta Urban Ministries (2002-04) 3 days a week
Masters Soup Kitchen (2003-04) four hours per week
Augusta Museum of History (2003-04)
Elm Croft Assisted Living Home (2003-04)
Volunteer Augusta (2003-04)
Columbia County Board of Election: poll worker
Senior Project Timer (2003-04)

Achievements
Wake Forest University National Early Bird Debate Tournament (2003) 9th place (fifth seat during preliminary rounds) in Junior Varsity Division
School High Honor since 1996
2004 Georgia Certificate of Merit presented by the State of Georgia and the University of Georgia
Augusta State University Academic Achievement Award (2004) recognizes top area high school juniors
Augusta State University Certificate of Achievement (2004) recognizes participation joint-enrollment program
Lakeside High School’s Academic Letter
Lakeside High School Certificate of Merit (2003 and 2004): recognizes top 5% of the sophomore/junior class
Literary Team (2004) Girls Extempt Regions Fourth Place Winner
Family Career and Community Leaders of America’s National Gold Medalist for STAR (Students Taking Action for Recognition) Events (July 2002)
FCCLA State Gold Medalist for STAR Events (April 2002-04)
FCCLA 2003 State STOP (Students Taking on Prevention) the Violence Award (April 2003): organized self-defense session taught by the Columbia County Sheriff Department
FCCLA 2004 State Financial Fitness Award (April 2004): organized financial management workshop
Greater Atlanta Christian Schools Tri-State Math Tournament(2001): 12th Place in Algebra, (2004) Honorable Mention in Algebra Two
Policy Debate Tournaments (2002-03)
West Minister Schools: 7th Place; 15th Speaker
Evans High School: 1st Place; 1st Speaker
Northside High School: 4th Place
Chattahoochee High School: 1st Place
Muslim Youth of North America Sports Fest (southern region): 1st place in the senior division for soccer and volleyball since 1998
Columbia County Board of Education and Board of Elections Recognition for Student Poll Worker (November 5, 2002)
Columbia County Board of Education Recognition for National Competition Achievement (September 10, 2002)

thanks again

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

o yah... im a junior at a public school

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Wow you have plenty ECs. How did your SAT break down, btw? If you're math person, which you seem to be due to your math tournaments, try to excel in that field. It just seems like you joined every club/tournament/etc. that is available to you. Be sure to only list the ones you are passionate about and those you devote significant time to.

I would say that you're good to go at Wellesley, Smith, whereever else like that you apply. They prolly like to see strong math students since they get predominantly artsy students. For Princeton and others: it's gonna be tough since (in glancing at your profile) you seem to lack that element that makes them believe you belong there. Your essays will certainly convey that element if they're good. What I think they're looking for is a sincere interest/passion in anything. Let your essays tell your story; make yourself an interesting person that any school would be delighted to have. Rather, make yourself a person anyone would love to have a conversation with.

I guess I would put your probability to get into Wellesley et al at 70+%, and at Princeton et al @ 40%.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

PS: Good luck!

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

thanks a lot...the reason i joined so many clubs is that im interested in so many things, as in leadership, writing, and community service...plus i have this prob with stress so being involved in a lot keeps my mind off the stress...

my SAT math is 40 points higher... i am definetely a math person....

thanks for the suggestion... i am goin to definetely shorten my e.c.'s ...

i think the thing that my apps/recs/interview are goin to convey is that i am a very passionate about life and energetic person... im into helpin people and most of my life revolves around commununity service

what would be ure suggestion for the "lacking element" and how to address it? and are my SAT scores goin to hurt much? wat is it that princeton adcoms love?

qwert271: thanks u so much

anyone else?

By Reject (Reject) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

i have a hard time believing that you have enough time to be head of all these clubs and committees while continuing to remain very dedicated to them. If you are, more power to you. I just find you resume to be more padded and quantitative then qualitative.

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

thanks for the comment reject... im am very dedicated to each club and many clubs i have raised from the ashes [im not tryin to sound pompous]... how would u convey that to adcoms... should i cut down my list to about 5?...

wat should my ideal SAT score be [i know 1600 but realistically with my ec]

thanks again

By Mochika88 (Mochika88) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

i support reject 100% don't put all of them down, and i hope you don't include middle school for the weaker EC's unless necessary

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

i dont plan to include any mid school...

any other suggestions?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

The only thing that is lacking is the 'spark' that is referred to so often. Although it is mentioned again and again in collegeprep books and on this website, every successful applicant has something truly great. Good scores (1450+), good GPA (3.9+), good ECs, good essays, etc. are not enough for Princeton by themselves. The people who get in with below average anything have something to compensate for it. That is, athletic recruit, child prodigy artist, national olympic team for something, and so on. If you have all of the aforementioned credentials (you seem to), great essays, recs, anything, will make you an applicant with something special.

If any applicant comes off like a regular grade-grubbing college-psycho student very little will redeem him/her. The essays offer the only insight to the student that the admission people get. It is the only place where you can say what you want to. Coupled with recs, your personality/passion/interests come out.

The way I see it, I would accept an applicant with good scores/ecs etc. and insightful, interesting essays over an applicant with great scores/ecs etc. and decent essays. I probably feel that essays are this important because I think that the admission people try to 'connect' personally with the applicant as much as possible, and thsi part of the app. is the most direct.

Bottom line: Princeton and others get a couple thousand apps every year like yours and they need to be differentiated somehow. They can only accept some of them, and their main objective is to compile a diverse, fun, passionate student body.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

One more thing: I wouldn't worry about SAT. Once you're in that range (1350-1500) they know you can handle the work. Anything above that is just a teeny weeny bit of icing.

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Just a comment: I WOULD worry about the SAT. You've got a great score, but typically there is this 1450+ barrier for schools like Princeton that you should aim to break. At that point, ECs and other things tend to matter somewhat more than higher SATs.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

your achievements seem kind of, not very achieved, its as if i put down:
"xxxxx Relays
4x200 3rd place
4x100 4th place
yyyyyyy Relays
4x200 2nd place"
etc. or
"Principal's Honor Roll (2000-2005)
Scholar Athlete recognition award"

yeah theyre awards but most of them are meaningless, i would take off about half of them, and your ECs its not plausable that you are able to spend any considerable amount of time on each one. and by the way, what were you doing in a Algebra 2 competition your junior year? isnt that a class people usually take their freshman or sophmore year?
"Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society (2003-04): Vice President, Public-Relations Officer, Secretary" why are you doing all of this by yourself. thats just weird.

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

algebra two was sophomore yr... when i copied and pasted by dates got switched around... im taking precalc/trig as a junior... for MAT, public relation/sec... its the same thing [one office]... and vice pres for next yr...i wasnt very clear... sorry

thanks

By Doctorchristie (Doctorchristie) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

You sound like a very impressive student! I would recommend re-taking the SAT's to increase your scores. My best friend got into Wellesley this year with a 1340, high SAT II's, and a number of clubs. I helped her with her essay, which was average, but unique. My advice to you is to get rid of your "average joe" achievements such as Prom Committee. Also, shorten your accomplishment section, as you look like a scoreboard instead of a participant. Sum up your debate awards, highlighting the 1st places. To add imagery to your application, my idea is to scan your awards onto your computer. Using Powerpoint, shrink the awards and align them in rows onto the page. This will help sum up your involvement while providing support to their validity. I applied to 18 schools including the Ivys this past October, and was admitted to a large number. I received my first choice and I hope you do too! Best of luck, and if you want more advice on your application to help catch an admission's officer's eye, let me know!

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

thanks for the positive feedback...

doctorchristie... i would love moe advice!

thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page