Is Purdue hard to get into?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Is Purdue hard to get into?
By Mimi (Mimi) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

I heard the SATs requirements aren't that high, like 1150 average? I haven't taken it yet, but I hope it'd be at least a 1150. What about the gpa requirements?? So far, I'm a junior, and I currently have a 3.47, and ecs include, mayor's youth council, jv tennis, varsity soccer (only 1 year, but no letter, is that okay?), xbot (tech program), ignite (tech program), drama, pres of japanese club, etc and more. i'm looking into engineering, and the main reason i want to get into purdue is because it is the top 8th in engineering which is really good. im also looking into the UW just because it's top 25 in eingeeinrg and i live in washington already, so tuition would be much cheaper, but i just want to know my chances and whether i should even bother applying.

and is it true that your grades matter the most and they don't really look into the EC? but i heard many people say they'd rather have a 3.5 well rounded person than a 4.0 book worm. jw. ??? does this apply to colleges as well? man i have to pull up to a 3.5. sooo close!!!

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Huge chance for Purdue. They look for a well-rounded person with alot of extracurriculars and good, but not totally amazing grades in good classes.

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Solid, consistent grades, good test scores and a motivated participation in your community will lead to acceptance. basically, I'd be surprised if you are not in.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

is purdue a private or public school? i hear people on this board say that it's easy to get into, but hard to stay in. is it too expensive, courses too hard, or why is that so???

By Vapajude87 (Vapajude87) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:54 am: Edit

purdue is public (and definitely an underated one). at big publics like purdue, grades and gpa are critical, but don't sweat it, yours are fine. Your solid ECs only increase your already good chances of getting into the school- safety/solid match.

By Fredo (Fredo) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

If you're looking at a direct admit to engineering try and do better than an 1150 on the SAT's - it's not that easy to get in. And it is tough to stay in - the courses are difficult and designed, from what I hear, to weed people out on the program, especially the first year. There's a reason it's ranked 8th - but it is well worth shooting for. It has an excellent reputation for engineering grads and it's a fun big-10 school atmosphere. Although West Lafayette won't win any honors in the college town contest!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page