Upward trends... Acceptance to Ivies?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Upward trends... Acceptance to Ivies?
By whey on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I've always wondered, do people with a 3.4 GPA junior year, but end up with a 4.0 senior year still have a chance at Harvard?

Does Harvard like upward trends? Like improving until you're top of the class, with the highest senior year average.

My little brother had a 3.4 GPA first year of HS, now he's top of his class with a 4.0 GPA (unweighted). He went to Thailand for two months to help out the people there (last summer), and helps out at the local hospital and Cancer society a lot (around 500 hours i guess so far). He did OK (compared to the Harvard standard, i guess he's probably average) on his SATs (780 V 800 M).

SATII's: 790 Writing, 800 Math IIC, 800 Physics, 760 Biology

AP's: Bio 5, Physics c 5, Statistics 5, US History 5, World History 5, Cal BC 5, Chem 4.

He's loved by his teachers, so great rec's (i'm guessing). And probably a great Essay (he told me that he wrote about how grandmas death made him work harder so he could help families avoid such situations made him work harder, he dreams of being a doctor to help prevent deaths, etc...) He actually had an urge to help people because of grandmas death.

What do you think of my brothers chances? Does he have a chance? Would his early years punish him?

He Vietnamese and from a family with a relatively low income (35k a year).

By Dadster on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Upward trends are a good thing. At least one elite, Princeton, recalculates GPA ignoring freshman year. The scores you cite are strong, and I'd say his chances are decent. The thing that makes admission hard to predict is that there are many, many students with great stats applying, and many will be rejected. Your brother should be competitive, though, IMO.

By whey on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

His GPA's were something like (from freshman to senior, respectively):

Unweighted, i have no idea what the weighted would be...

Do they look at the HS average? Or more on the senior average? I think my brother has a great chance if it's just senior, and if they look at the rest, i think he'll just end up at a UC (which isn't bad for you UC people, but i think he deserves more).

By bump on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

bump

By O71394658 on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Well, he's from a low-income, minority family. That will help a lot. Looks grand. But he might not get in. Harvard is one of, if not the hardest school to get into.

By hmm on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

I don't think he would be considered an URM though. Although the ethnic Vietnamese is a pretty small minority, and has a pretty small population in universities/colleges, i would think they would be grouped with the Asians... Then it wouldn't play to well in his way would it?

By af on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

no, you dumb •••••, he is considered an asian, which = rejection, unless you tutored retarded whales in africa for 10 years.

By bump on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Anything else?

By u on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

He "might" have been in if he had 1600 and 800 for all the SATii's...

By Admission Officer on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Moron, protected class citizens are:

Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans and Main Island Peurto Ricans.

All of you other minority and majority members have to be admitted the real way (ie: no free extra 200 points on your SAT). Frankly, we have enough of your "kind" on campus. We must have diversity!!

SEIG HEIL!!

By Admission Officer on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

I meant DIVERSITY. Everyone must place importance on this ideal and put it in all caps. DIVERSITY is more important then not discriminating against someone just based on their race.

NOW KNEEL AND PRAY TO THE ALL MIGHTY GOD OF DIVERSITY!!!

By a on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Your brother is dumb, going to thailand helping people, there is more he can do sending the plane ticket money to thailand.

By whey on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

a, he wanted the vacation too... He's not that dumb...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page