UK or US..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: UK or US..
By Soulfulwishing (Soulfulwishing) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 03:23 am: Edit

Hi...
I'm currently a high school sophomore who lives in Hawaii..

I'm thinking to do hospitality major.. but probably business marketing area if there's no school that satisfies me..

For hotel: Cornell, Purdue
Rest: USC, Cambridge (UK), Carnegie-Mellon, UC Berkley

If Im not accepted to either Cornell or USC, I'm looking foward to go to Cambridge which I heard it's only the academic they look for on their admissions.

Im looking foward to Cambridge.. cuz i always look for unique experience.. and scenery.. i just like to travel. planning to go to bali/lombuk.. etc

What are the requirement for Cambridge? does it require to have all A's?? THROUGHOUT the whole school year??

freshmen:
3.2 / 3.2 / 3.2 / 3.5
sophomore:
3.7 / 3.7 / 3.7 / ---

i fooled around on my freshmen year but i started to study..... would it matter?

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Cambridge admissions doesn't require you to have all As. I've been doing a bit of research on Cambridge and Oxford. The problem with those two schools is that they seem to hate dealing with American students. Their websites are awful for giving out information to us.

Your GPA is definately a little bit low for Cambridge (it's harder for American students to get into Cambridge than Oxford right now).

My advice is keep studying, I fooled around a little bit during freshman and sophomore years and although my GPA was higher than a 3.5 it's still going to be a challenge to get in for me. I would suggest doing really well on your SAT/ACT (I earned a high score on the ACT, it's a lot easier than the SAT in my opinion) and APs. You want about five really strong APs (they don't all have to be scored at 5, there can be one or two 4s as well). Oxbridge isn't looking for perfection, but pretty damn close to it. Also, I would hope they are looking for improvement in your dedication to your studies, so an upward curve is great to have if your GPA doesn't already start out at 4.0.

Also, extra-curriculars don't really help that much in the application process unless you can apply them to what you want to study. Fortunately for me, I wish to study some form of international politics and liguistics so my trips to Panama, Argentina, and my upcoming study trip in Spain will help.

Oh, here's the Oxford US admissions information site. I know it's not exactly what you want, but it will give you an idea. Cambridge's requirements are very similar to Oxford's, perhaps a little bit higher. It's just more competitive for us Americans to get in there.

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/int/usa

Best of luck.

By Emily_Uk (Emily_Uk) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Hey,
Even for the British it's hard to get into Cambridge. Don't make it your safe school because its anything but safe. They do however give around 90% of applicants an interview. Your interview is the best chance for you to really shine and is often the deciding factor for Cambridge.
Although they will probably ask you about extra currcular activities, don't be too fast to say you never stop doing extra curricular activities. They like you to show some interest but you are heading there for academics and they like to see that.

Again though, its not a safety option. To put it in perspective classes generally consist of 1-3 people to a teacher. They are extremely difficult in their admissions.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

An American has a better chance of getting into Harvard than Cambridge.

By Lauraanne (Lauraanne) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Soulfulwishing - what would you be studying at Cambridge? It seems like you're interested in a more vocational degree and Cambridge courses tend to be highly academic - mostly theory based rather than focused on practical elements.
Are you sure it would be a good fit for you? There are plenty of good colleges in the UK (and the US too I'm sure) that offer a more practical, business-oriented program of study. Maybe you should be looking at those places instead?
It sounds like Cornell is good for you though...

By Frenchie (Frenchie) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I think those grades are far too low for both coleges. FOr Uk students they are looking for perfections, they dont give offers to anythng less than A's at A Levels. A Levels are much harder than any american curriculum. You have to make sure that you have achieved throughout school.

By Soulfulwishing (Soulfulwishing) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

First of all, thank you everyone for responding me..

I don't know.. and I regret not studying (well also not knowing) how important was to start working hard from freshmen year.. Oh, by the way I'm not an american citizen.. I'm just a permanent resident.. and I'm Korean. Lived in Hawaii for about 5 years.

If I could get into Cornell, that would be fine because what I really interested is on Hospitality Major (Hotel/Tourism/Leisure.. something like that).

But if I can't get into Cornell, I might consider going for business marketing major..

I would prefer private more than public, but it doesn't really matter..

UK schools, USC, and some schools that I'm thinking are secondary choices after Cornell.. and I want to make my parent happy getting into good colleges.. and they always complain that they didn't come here to send me to some state university.. (University of Hawaii)

I will be doing about 60 hours of service project at hospital this summer (and so on.. and winter etc). I'll try to do 60/60 for next two summers, and 30/30 for next two winters (which will be 1 1/2 credits) I will be joining more E.C.'s which I haven't much and some sports.

I guess I have much more ways to go... and is AP classes required to go univ. such as Cornell? Considering to take AP European History..

What are the average SAT I / II scores for Cornell? like from lowest to highest..

And lastly... what is exactly Unweighted Scale GPA and Weighted Scale GPA means..? because I saw those a lot in this forum.. but i'm not sure.. is it like cumulative GPA?

I'm not wishing to get into colleges like Harvard, or Yale..but I just want to try my best to get into my first choice cornell..

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Starchybean...do you have any info on American students and Cambridge?

I've also gotten the impression that they dont like dealing with us, but this seems more true for Cambridge because at least Oxford gave us a few webpages to browse through. I can't even find where the US is even mentioned on the Cambridge site.

By Anonymous1223 (Anonymous1223) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I live in the uk and attend an american school...so we have quite a few kids that apply to UK universities, and the application process is quite different, as is the entire academic experience once you're there (I did not apply to one so i can only say what my friends who did apply to them have told me).
First of all, apparently it's 3 years instead of 4 and it's supposed to be much more preproffesional than American universities, which tend to have core requirements and a more well-rounded curriculum. UK universities are also much cheaper (there is currently a huge debate over how to restructure the system, since it is partially subsidized by the government)
The application itself is simpler, since it's simpler and they are more focused on academics, rather than EC's and other things. The personal statement (essay - only one, and short i believe), interview, and AP scores are the most important things. The interview is completely different from one for an American university, as you will be interviewed by a department head of what program u choose within the university and it will be similar to a job interview, so it's sort of like an oral test on your subject. In the end, they don't care about your grades (GPA), only your AP scores. Depending how competent a candidate you are, they will give you an "unconditional" or "conditional" offer of admission. A conditional one will mean that you need to get certain scores on your AP exams in order to go there...so no senioritis. Cambridge and Oxford are very hard to get into, and they expect the top AP scores, usually only 5s, although they may not require you to get 5s in all of your classes. For example, a friend of mine got a conditional to cambridge and he is taking ap german, ap econ (micro/macro), ap stats, ap calc ab...but they only want 3 5s...but they dont care what he gets in german (and econ aps count as individual aps, like micro and macro is 2 separate aps)...so he basically has four chances to get 3 5s....
Hope this makes things clearer....again...i didn't apply to one...but a number of my friends did....

By Anonymous1223 (Anonymous1223) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

just to clarify...by "preproffesional" i mean that you will usually only take classes in what you chose to study...as opposed to many american universities that force you to fulfill credits in many areas...i do not mean preprofessional in the sense that all the classes are "practical", because there are many "academic" options also available...depending on what you choose to study within the university

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Also I think that tuition costs have to be clarified here - tuition is really cheap for UK/EU citizens but for Americans its gonna be a whole lot more - I forget exactly how much - more like full tuition at an Ivy, check Oxford's website.

By Justmee (Justmee) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Getting into a UK school is like the antithesis to American schools!

I'm a foreigner who's applying to both, and I prefer UK system because they only look at your academic results, and so far I've done practically zilch EC's because in my country it doesn't count when applying to colleges.

However I regret it now because I'm thinking about applying to an American school as well.

ANyway, think of it this way. You wanna get into Oxford?? DROP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW AND STUDY!!!!!!!!!!

By Wickedsmaht (Wickedsmaht) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

http://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/north-american.html

I feel like helping you guys out today. Here's some info. Knock yourself out.

"Very few students enter a Cambridge College directly from a US High School: last year only three offers (out of 3000) were made conditional on SAT and Advanced Placement scores."

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:53 am: Edit

Sit for the A-Levels and get staright A's and then you might have a chance to enter Oxbridge. Anyways, life in Oxbridge sucks. My friend had to change his course three times in Cambridge because he couldnt take the work load. He regrets now that he should have done medicine in a more laid back London Uni as opposed to doing it in Cambdrige. He graduated with a degree in Chemistry instead.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

I'm going for the IB diploma. Since the scores they see before they decide are projected, would they rescind the offer if the actual scores weren't up to par? Since the scores come in during the summer, wouldn't that conflict a good deal with American universities and sending in deposits for those?

Those who know extensively about UK universities, please IM me (chatterjoy87), or tell me your SN and I'll IM you. I'm torn between wanting to go in the US and UK, so any information will help, thanks!

By Lauraanne (Lauraanne) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

Chatterjoy - yes, your offer will be rescinded if you don't make your projected grades. Usually if you only drop one grade you'll be OK but you do need to meet the conditions of your offer. That's why you are advised to apply to multiple institutions and hold an "insurance offer" with less rigorous grade requirements. Unfortunately for me, my first choice was also my lowest offer :)

By Theinnocntone (Theinnocntone) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Getting into Oxbridge as an American is HARD. I have a friend who got into Princeton, but decided she wanted to go to Cambridge. She came to England, took her Alevels in one year(usually they take two), got all As and still didn't get into her first choice college at Cambridge. She was pooled and eventually accepted to one of the all womens colleges.

I feel like to really have a good shot to get in, you need to have done Alevels or IB. And done AMAZINGLY. I know someone else with 5 As at Alevel that didn't get in. It's redicukously competative.

That said, some subjects ARE easier to get into than others. You apply to study English or history? YOu need to be the BEST. You apply for a less desired subject, your chances do go up slightly, altho you still have to be damn damn good.

Work hard, and nail the interview. Thats pretty much all there is.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page