HYP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: HYP
By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

SATs: 1570 (800M/770V)
SAT IIs: 800 IIC, taking the others in a month
APs: 5 Stats (sophmore year)
Current classes:
AP Calc BC (two years ahead of my class)
AP US History
Acting
AP Physics C (a year ahead of my class)
English 11 Honors
Japanese 4

GPA (unweighted): perfect 4.3/4.3
#1 by far. Salu is somewhere around a 4.0

School is accelerating me next year to Quantum Mechanics/Physics, basing the curriculum off of CalTech's (and using Sakurai's text and Feynmann's notes). And my physics teacher and I plan on developing a macroscopic visualization/demonstration of quantum processes. I have already taken Linear Algebra, am taking Multivariable Calculus, will take Differential/Partial Differential Equations over the summer and then next year...well, next year we're not quite sure yet...as PDEs are bordering graduate-level mathematics...

-Piano for 9 years.
-Art lessons for 4 years.
-Play both baseball and tennis (however, not Varsity level...yet)
-Book club
-FOUNDER of school's chess club
-FOUNDER, president, and coach of school's math team/club
-Math department chair's teacher assistant
-300+ hours community service with an organization called "Bridges" (we bring inter-city students to our school; in the morning we teach them math/english and then in the afternoon it becomes a camp. Have been doing this for the past few summers.)
-Senior editor (in my junior year) of school newspaper. Have been doing the paper for three years now.
-Male lead in school's drama (will be in next year's as well).

So...what are my chances at HYP, MIT, CIT, etc.?

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

you sound pretty well rounded, obviously exceptionally talented in the departments of math and science, and yet you are able to let colleges know that you are equally capable in the language category by your participation in the school paper. You also have pretty good ECs, CS+sports+arts+leadership, sounds pretty good. Sounds like a pretty good chance at HYP, MIT, Caltech. But i knew a kid with 1600 sat, took mv calc junior year, straight A's who got rejected by Caltech, but he didnt do sports or have very many ECs, now hes gonna have to go to Princeton or Stanford.
BTW, Awesome! I took AP stat sophmore year too, got a 5 too, but my schools making me take calc AB, before BC! its retarded, im wasting senior year reviewing junior year. but hey, i speak japanese fluently, if a get into caltech a couple years from now maybe ill see you there, probably not though huge stretch for me, verbal kills me, SAT-M-800 V-670. But good luck to you!

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

Thanks.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

After a glance at your bio I was unsure whether this was a parody of those superdriven collegeprep people. I think you'll do fine

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Kevinkleinz, of the 5 schools you mentioned, it would be very sad, and possibly shocking, if you wouldn't get into at least one. It's quite feasible that you'll get into several of them in fact. You have the hard course load, the rank (with the clear lead which is nice, though not sure if schools you apply to see that), a good number of AP courses (a lot of people have more by this point, but they haven't taken linear algebra, aren't finishing up multivariable calculus, and won't be taking DE before apps are due in). Furthermore, if you're actually very talanted at your sports, and do make varsity, that should help seal the deal.

But I have a question for you, how do you have enough time to do all this, the fact that you're capable of excelling at everything is believeable (and certainly commendable). However, you take six classes (around average), then you participate in a sport (I'm guessing practice days don't conflict between your two), and then you take night school? How do you have enough time (and I'm not even counting the time that goes into clubs/community service). Because I currently do slightly less than you in terms of what my schedule looks like, and although I am never really "stressed out," I seem to always be rushed and have little time to do homework, etc. (mainly due to taking night school classes at college).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page