Does being Indian help in college admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Does being Indian help in college admissions
By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:41 am: Edit

born in America. Because I am Indian (asian) but I am not smart like other Indians. In fact, I am really stupid. I'm managing a 4.1 but have a poor SAT score of 1170 (640 M, 530 V) as of october. Its my junior year.

By ... on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

no being Indian (asian) will not help you, despite the fact that you are a minority. Indians are not considered "URM's".

By America on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

How do Americans manage to do so badly on the SAT I Verbal section? I was under the impression that the American education system mandates extensive and high-level reading throughout high school. Is this true, or am I under a misconception?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

The truth is actually the opposite of your belief. America's edication system = crap.

By a on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

High-level reading DOES NOT equal a high SAT score. We don't answer MCs based on the books we read, mainly because the content in truly great and complex books and the author's intent in writing them are debateable. The more challenging the book, the less "right and wrong" answers there are. SATs aren't about thinking critically; they're about answering specific qs on short passages, skills which you don't always get from reading great books.
I go to a private Quaker school, so I can't speak for public ed.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Jason,
your inability to get a high GPA and an excellent SAT score does not mean that you are stupid. There are many factors that go into such scores. Based on what you've been writing on the forums (in general) you certainly dont sound stupid.

a,
I think that when "America" made his reference to SAT scores and reading, he may have been alluding to reading's value in terms of how it builds your skills in comprehending the prited page with relative ease. Reading "complicated" works does not always entail reading about complex concepts. It may be the type of language used by the author. Reading this stuff can actually help your SAT score (the only problem is that it is a long term stratagy).

In MY personal experience, my school has failed miserably in terms of providing us with such an education....

By youhaveNOidea on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

Hey jason i'm indian too. and well, i'm not super smart or n e thing, but i'm good enuf i guess. ok first, i think you should DEFINETELY read more, cause that DEFINETELY helps ur vocab. 100%. When u come across a word u don't get, look it up, write it down and study it. Read the newspaper,cause a lot of SAT words pop up there, and for the math, get a tutor or one a those SAT books.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page