Basketball player's chances at Ivy's, top schools...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Basketball player's chances at Ivy's, top schools...
By Inopa (Inopa) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I got 780M/730V on SAT I as a junior this past december, play varsity golf and basketball, am ranked #1 of 500 at a california distinguished school, have been various (like 8) students of the month, am the Boys State Rep for this June, have done much church service and community service, tutor, have a job as a warehouse manager, and have straight A's in all honors and APs, except frosh year when they were unavailable (arg freshman studies/health). I have gotten a 5 on the Euro AP, and am taking stats, U.S., bio and english language, likely to get mostly 5s.
The only issue i have is i am fluent in french and took french 1 as a freshman, than French 3 as a soph, skipping 2. I heard some BS that I needed three years, but the test i took to get in french 3 counts right? yes, btw I'm white.

By And1hoops (And1hoops) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

unless you are a recruited athlete, your chances are just as good as many many other applicants to top ivies and say stanford or something. As you might know admission is very random and although you have great scores&activities, so do the other whatever# of applicants to these top schools. The language requirement differs from school to school but that's not a major thing if you have a good reason for not meeting their requirements. Overall you're on track and just hope luck is on your side for next year

By Inopa (Inopa) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

i was wondering whats this randomness thing ive heard a lot about... If you have the qualifications, what is so hard? like what could i do better in? i mean of the 10000 people who get into ivys yearly or so, there are specifics, right?

By And1hoops (And1hoops) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

qualifications is one thing, but realize they can fill a class a few times over with people with your qualifications equally as good. The main thing is to distinguish yourself on paper, it's again that diversity factor where they want people that they don't already have that would add to the community of the school, but that's something you can't improve on, just gotta be yourself. A good essay always helps and unless you have something outstanding such as RSI or some kind of olympiad medal at national-international level, there's no guarantee of admission. lets just say it is frustrating at the least knowing you've done everything you could've and kept everything almost perfect yet it only places you in the pool of many competitive applicants for these top schools. There's nothing you can really do but the best thing to do would be to apply to many top schools so your chances improve.

By Hoping (Hoping) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

here is another thing that is sooooo hard, of those 10,000or so admitted students all of them are exceptional in some way or another.now factor in the other 130,000 kids that are also applying for those 10,000 spots who by the way mostly are also exceptional students,and you can start to see where it gets just a tad dicey.however if you want an ivy go for an ivy,youll be in great company!

By Windslicer_Ib (Windslicer_Ib) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

It's a lot less than 130,000 as most (if not all) double, triple(and more) apply to more than 1 ivy.

By Inopa (Inopa) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Ok...i live in cali tho...so at USC, UCLA and Stanford i would have much better, if not sure admittance?

By Hoping (Hoping) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

136,000 kids applied to the 8 ivies this year!.FACT.

By Hill (Hill) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

there is no such thing as a "sure admittance" these days. Just read some of the posts.

By Inopa (Inopa) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

even with valedicorianship and stuff? at least a 75% chance tho right? i mean at leasst in your opinions...?

By Hill (Hill) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

nothing is a sure thing. there are plenty of 1600 SAT's - 800/800/800, excellent EC's, the whole nine yards and they are still rejected from Ivy's and Stanford's etc. There are 1000's of valedictorians, so you need to have a special niche.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page