How did harvard...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: How did harvard...
By aa on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:55 am: Edit

how did harvard got its prestige...how did it become famous?
In most places (many non-us) ppl will know about harvard but no one will know about other ivyies...
they know also of mit and stanford...

By hfd on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 07:41 am: Edit

Harvard is often part of the plots many Hollywood movies and much popular literature. That, I believe, accounts for, to a certain degree, Harvard's international name recognition.

By sadfjk on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

It has educated a great deal of scholars, presidents and others who have impacted society. It is also very old.

By a on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

It was one of the first American Universities!

By josh on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

actually, it was THE FIRST College established in the "New World" back in the colonial days. All you history scholars probably know that it was established in order to educate puritan men to become ministers. And Ralph Waldo Emerson also contributed to its recognition with his blunder in the Divinity School Address (he presented opposing religious ideas that were not well accepted). Needless to say, this well-respected and quite famous writer was asked to leave!

Just some food for thought.

By aa on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:42 am: Edit

what was the second american university in a colony?

By roller on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

william and Mary, then Georgetown, i think.

By hahaha on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

lol aa is so stupid it amazes me.
"how did harvard got its prestige" --Got Grammar?

"what was the second american university in a colony? "-- oh the irony there... please tell me how a colony can host an american universtity taking into consideration the fact that AMERICA DIDNT EXIST YET IN THE COLONIAL DAYS.

Stop asking about ivy leagues, because bluntly you would be lucky to attend a community school

By O71394658 on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Well. When it first started out, only the very rich and wealthy could get sent there. That probably upped the prestige a lot. Secondly, a lot of recognizable figures have come from the halls of Harvard University, and many professors there have made numerous discoveries. Not to mention their fantastically rigid admissions.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Fantastically rigid admissions is an effect, not a cause. True, after being established it becomes chicken-and-egg.

By Cornell06 (Cornell06) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Harvard was the first educational institute, Penn was the first university, not sure about the first est during the colonial era.

By Rodeo on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Nah it was Harvard, William and Mary, then Yale, then Princeton I think.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page