Sophomore in need of advice

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Sophomore in need of advice
By Mazzystar (Mazzystar) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

The end of sophomore year is ahead of me, and looking back and looking ahead I'm wondering if I have any chance at my favorite schools.
Any advice would be much appreciated, from how to raise my GPA to adcoms.

Freshman year: I not only had to deal with living in a new state (moved from Texas (born and raised) to Kentucky), but also beginning high school all by my lonesome, without any friends. My whole freshman year was difficult, hence the low grades:
Honors 1 Biology: C+
Advanced English: B-
Honors P.E./Health: A, A+
Honors 1 Spanish I: B-
Advanced Algebra I: D
Honors Scripture/Aff. Skills: A, A
Advanced World Civ: B+

It wasn't until the summer when I recieved my class rank (121 out of 286) that I realized I had screwed up, big time.

Sophomore Year:
Advanced US History: A
Advanced English II: A-
Honors 1 Chemistry: B+
Honors 1 Geometry: B-
Honors Catholic Faith: A-
AP Human Geography: B
Spanish II: A

Junior Schedule (hopefully, if I get all the classes I wanted)
AP Psych
Advanced English III
Advanced Anatomy
Honors 1 Alg II
Honors 1 Spanish III
CP Public Speaking 1/2
Honors 1 Multimedia 1/2
Honors Morality

EC's
Art Club (2 yrs)
Photography Club (1 yr)
Cross Country (2 years. I was 30 sec off Varsity time last season, so next season I should get it.)
Track (1 yr)
Ice Hockey (1 yr, Varsity Letter)
over 100 hrs Comm. Service at the Hospital and Library

This summer I plan on taking Intro to Film and Creative Writing at my local community college. Apparantly no one has ever done this before at my school. I'm in the top 15% of my class, in terms of writing and such (or so my english teacher said upon filling out applications for CC)

PLAN: 97%, 24 Projected ACT score b/w a 26-30, but I'm shooting for a 32.
PSAT: 172. I'm horrible at math. It looks as though I might score around the 1300 range, if I'm lucky.

I really would like to attend UT Austin, Northwestern, Boston College, or NYU Tisch, The New School, NYC, Miami OH, or Earlham College. Any other suggestions? I plan on majoring in either film or pyschology. The only reason I'm debating it is that I've heard it's great to have a real world experiance in something outside of film before going to grad school to get your M.F.A.

Thanks!

By Mazzystar (Mazzystar) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

bump :)

By Mazzystar (Mazzystar) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

anyone?! Should I post this in the Northwestern thread, since that's the school I'm most interested in?

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

continue the up trend with you GPA and SATs and also if your passion is film then focus on that and prove to the colleges that you want it. btw what do you do in photography club? sounds interesting

By Songbird88 (Songbird88) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

Is there such thing as Honors P.E? Just wondering.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page