Chances at some DAMN GOOD SCHOOLS!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at some DAMN GOOD SCHOOLS!
By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

20 credits at the end of the year
Ö6 APís
Ö10 honors
Ö4 regular

26 credits by graduation
Ö10 APís
Ö11 honors
Ö5 regular

APís
Sophomore: 1) AP European History (3 on exam)
Junior: 1) AP American History 2) Art History 3) English 4) Biology, and 5) Psychology
Senior: 1) AP Economics/Government, 2) English, 3) World History, and 4) Environmental Science

Grades
3.3 UWGPA
4.3 WGPA
Top 20%
Freshman year: 3.5 UW GPA
Sophomore year: 2.7 UW GPA
Junior year: 3.7 UW GPA

SATís
I: 1400 (740, 660) (Will retake and will hopefully do better!)
II: 800, 750, 680

ECís
11 hours weekly of work
350 hours of community service
60 hours internship at a biology research centre
Member of Mensa International
President of Ecology Club
Vice-President of Environmental Science Club
Member of Science Honors Society
1 biology award (for being top student in the subject)
1 environmental science award (for promoting awareness among my peers)

-Duke U
-Stanford U
-Cornell U
-Brown U
-Johns Hopkins U
-U of Chicago
-Willams C
-U of Virginia (out of state)

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Wow, that sure looks a lot like my stats, and my list of colleges.
Let me guess, your interested in the sciences or engineering?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

every single school you listed will be reaches.. you need to balance out your college list more.. add in some matches and safetys... your class rank is going to hurt you for the schools you have listed

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

That 3.3 UW is also going to hurt you. Get some solid match and reach schools in there.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

lol match and *safety* schools in there.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Do you have a reason for that sophomore year GPA?

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

That's not my "list", it's just the colleges I want to know my chances as......

By Bananasrock (Bananasrock) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Your chances are low.

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

During my sophomore year I had family troubles (My Mom and I had huge, never-ending problems which lead to her kicking me out of her house).

Nothing about this is officially documented except for the fact that my Dad took custody of me, so I canít really use it to my advantage, right?

The mention of this would seem foolish because it would seem like I was lying about it, since the problems my Mom blew out of proportion were so trivial nobody would believe it.

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

Write about it in your app essays, and you're in at most of those schools.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

Unless you address the GPA somehow, it's going to hurt you a lot. Good colleges, especially top 30 ones, do NOT want students with 3.3 UWGPA's. It's as simple as that.

Your EC's are not bad either. The list seems pretty short though. Do you have a list of other awards?

I'd definitely look into a few schools like ranked 30-70 in USNews.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Your GPA will definitely hurt you. 3.3 UW is pretty low in the applicant pool and the admitted pool.

High board scores and low GPA may make you look like a slacker. Your best bet is to go for an upward trend.

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

How about would I go addressing my sophomore-year family problems that lead to my bad grades that year?

The whole story will sound pathetic "not a big deal" and fake...do I write about it in an essay form? Or what?

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I assume you're not a huge legacy or have some amazing awards, so let me give it to you straight.

For most of your list, especially Duke, Stanford, Brown, Columbia, you MUST address the 3.3 UWGPA. Why? If you don't adcoms will most likely have a good laugh and then throw your application away. Why? A 3.3 is unbearably low for those schools. I think with a 3.3 that you don't address, your chances are basically zero. Even if you do address it, your chances are still looking slim. I'd look into a few less prestigious schools.

Sorry, I'm not a flamer on this board. I just think you need to know how it is.

Also, how is your UWGPA 3.3 and WGPA 4.3? I find it hard to believe that every class you've taken is an honors/AP, so how does your school weight?

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

My school gives +2 for AP and +1 for honors.

What many people are failing to realize is that this isnít my ďlistĒ of schools. Itís a list of schools Iíd LIKE to get into, but thereís other schools Iím looking into.

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

What schools do you suggest I look into though?

By Belowivy (Belowivy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

A 3.3 is not that low. I had a 3.3 and got into WUSTL. Your SAT's are solid. EC's are decent. Make them stand out on your app, that's key. Find teachers who accentuate the type of person you are and mesh your class choices, EC's, and essay to create a coherent picture of you.

Your essay, rec's, and the way you present your EC's will make or break you. Due to the low GPA, these other areas have to be near-perfect!

Tell colleges about your soph. yr. problems. They might understand, they might not, but you should explain it. i thibnk it will do more help than bad.

I predict accepts at JHU(70%), U of Chicago(50%), and possibly Cornell(20%) or Williams(20%). UVA (0%)=deny, their a big school and see your SAT's and GPA and w/ a 3.3 your almost an auto-deny. Duke (.1%) and STanford(.1%) seem to me a little out of reach. Brown also looks a little tough for you, id say (10%)

Good Luck!

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

JHU seems great, I hope you're right about the 70% thing!

I'll be able to get *PHENOMENAL* REC's by the way

By Enty (Enty) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Um, Senior Here.
I had a 1500, 5% Weighted Rank and a dismal 3.4 uw GPA, and 6 SAT IIs averaging low 700's. Teachers and Counselors all checked off best in career. I also had numerous state level awards. JHU rejected me but accepted my friend (we have identical ECs). She had a 3.9/1270 and she got into JHU - for hopkins, grades matter a lot. Unless you've done some awesome research or unless ur excuse for that gpa is really good, i don't see them accepting you.

Ur only shot at top 25 schools would be SAT whores or schools that really focus on EC's or "weird" schools.

SAT whores - notre dame, usc.....
EC schools - i know tufts focuses on that more than others
Weird schools - chicago, reed..

By Chicagodude (Chicagodude) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Maybe I read something wrong, but did you say you are in Mensa? If memory serves right, Mensa is a club for geniuses. I don't understand how a genius could get a 3.3. However, the U of Chicago application had so many opportunities for writing, just write a great essay, and you're in. As far as stanford, I think it's a long shot, but don't let me deter you.

By Relinquo1 (Relinquo1) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

Chicagodude, I think you don't understand that intelligence and grades are hardly at all related. Grades are about motivation to do work, and someone who is very intelligent will often percieve high school work as needless or boring, become unmotivated and then recieve lower grades. Didn't Einstein drop out of school or something?

By Relinquo1 (Relinquo1) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

But Goldenhalo - based on which AP classes you have taken and your EC interests, you seem like you would definitely fit best at a liberal arts place.

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

O.K., so as expected, I don't have a high chance at any of the schools I'd like to attend. I knew it all along, but I didn't bother saying "I know my chances are low!" or the like would have influenced people.

What other good schools do y'all actually think I could get into?

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

wow... mensa!...thats great

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

My GPA will probably be 3.4/4.4 instead of the projected 3.3/4.3. Should I waste my ED at Cornell University given my stats?

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Bump

By Moonlily17 (Moonlily17) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Goldenhalo, if you're a New York state resident and apply to one of Cornell's 3 state-assisted colleges, then I'd say you have a pretty good shot as long as your essays/recs stand out. Cornell really places an emphasis on personal qualities rather than pure stats. Also, if you don't make it into your first choice--be it Cornell or somewhere else--there's always the option of transferring. Good luck!

~Cornell University '08

By Iyelloboi0 (Iyelloboi0) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

hi, im a sophomore in a competitive nj high school, and im planning to attend to some sort of a premed accelerated program in the future. I was wondering if I can get into programs offered in universities such as Hopkins, Cornell, Yale, Lehigh, Brown, ??Harvard?? etc when i apply as a senior...

right now, i have a 4.7 GPA, taking all honor courses in addition to APs (planning to take the three important aps: chem physics calc). i am also planning to take the chem sat ii, physics sat ii, writing sat ii, and math iic, and of course the regular sats with flying colors. i am top 10 GPA-wise currently and plan to maintain my academic position.

im also actively involved in jazz band (principal player), wind symphony (principal player) marching band (treasurer), Environmental Awareness club (officer), Music Honors Society, National Honors Society, Track and Field, Student Leadership Committee @ my local church youth group, Peer Mentor, Science Club, Academic Decathalon (nj state champs!!!!!), and other volunteering work in local hospital and church summer school.

i would really appreciate your honest input where i stand if i continue this course throughout the rest of 2 years in hs. thanks :]

By Ld10lmp (Ld10lmp) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Hey, Im a sophomore

Fresh:3.6 UW GPA
Soph: 3.3 UW GPA

TV Production Show
Hockey
Applied to Tisch at NYU summer program in film
Want to major in film/communications

Any suggestions on schools?

By Ld10lmp (Ld10lmp) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Hey, Im a sophomore

Fresh:3.6 UW GPA
Soph: 3.3 UW GPA

TV Production Show
Hockey
Applied to Tisch at NYU summer program in film
Want to major in film/communications

Any suggestions on schools?

By Xtech (Xtech) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Your stats seem to balance out with mine, perhaps a little better overall, and I got into Johns Hopkins early decision.

-1470(780m/690v)
-730 Writing, 720 US History, 690 Math IC
-3.4 UWGPA, 3.7W Strong upward trend, only 2 Honors Frosh+Soph year, 2 Honors 1 AP Junior year(got a 4), 5 AP 1 Honors Senior year
-Top 30% of Class(counselor might've put top 25% on the school report since I am in that range, school officialy does it by deciles though)
-Moderate EC's with leadership positions, some community service, not as much as you though

If you work on an interesting, unique essay I think you have a 70% shot of getting into JHU ED. JHU was never my real first choice, but I knew that I had no shot at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Duke, or Brown which I really loved. I'm satisfied with the school though and think I'm in the best school possible for me to get into with my grades (in terms of both academics and how happy I'll be there), and I'm looking forward to going next year. Their ED acceptance rate was 53.8% this year with an average accepted SAT of about 1370, you have a good shot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page