Unusual extracurriculars? Do they help?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Unusual extracurriculars? Do they help?
By Kiki81ny (Kiki81ny) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

I am a bit worried as I do not have the insane quantity of extracurricular activities as some people here. I am very into music (piano for 13 years, saxophone for 6, voice for 3) but outside of the music field I do not have a lot of activities other than the school yearbook and student council freshman year. I am planning on doing volunteer work this summer.

I do, however, have an unusual extracurricular. I entrepreneured my own internet business last year and I will have made about $10,000 in revenue by the time my business becomes a year old. Is this something that I should mention on my applications? I am thinking it might make me stand out a bit at the business schools I plan to apply to. I appreciate your opinions! :-)

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

That's fantastic. Definitely write it in your apps. Btw, I want to try too!! What did you do?

By Sots (Sots) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Of COURSE add it in. I think that this is a great point, *BUT* It will only push you over the rim if you are there. DO remember that it wont guarantee you a spot tho. I was an exchange student/ Comptroller of Am. Lgn. Girls State 3/450, website w/ 6000+ members, best student artist on Long Island probably, and I still got more than my share of rejections. I think I was accepted to schools that would have accepted me for my grades anyway (CMU/Vassar) but rejected from schools like Brown where I'd hoped it would count.

What did I learn? MAKE A HUGE deal out of it. HUGE. Please, do it for my sake, lol. I think I just listed the stuff modestly when I should have smacked it in their faces.

Btw, this is not to say that I dont absolutely love my 2 pet schools... hehe... I wouldnt want 2 b anywhere else.

By Kiki81ny (Kiki81ny) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice you guys. I definitely am not going to rely on this to guarantee me a spot anywhere, but hopefully combined with my good GPA and SATs it will push me over the top. My top schools right now are NYU, George Washington, Boston U, and Washington in St. Louis.

Foreignboy-
My business is selling lightly used designer clothing online. I got the idea by realizing I was very interested in fashion and the idea just materialized. However, I have put a tremendous amount of work into this business, the time and effort required to find inventory is substantial. However if you're dedicated it can work!

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

That's AWESOME. That will definitely work to your advantage. Colleges love to see students that go out there and do something great like that!

By Kiki81ny (Kiki81ny) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Yay! You guys have made my day, I really think now that this is going to help my college chances. Also, I have saved the majority of the money I've made, I'm going to need it if I go to college in NYC! Maybe all of my work has paid off...

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Your EC is better than most students' ECs because you created it yourself, and it also is profitable.
You definitely should list it on your application under "job," and also write your essay about it. Your efforts demonstrate a high level of creativity, maturity, independence, organizational skills and motivation.

By Kiki81ny (Kiki81ny) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tip on the essay, northstarmom. I hadn't thought about that, but it's definitely a good idea!

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

Wow! What is your business?

By Amethyst213 (Amethyst213) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:54 am: Edit

I agree - that is a fantastic EC. I was at a JHU info session yesterday, and they said that next to grades and high school course load, they look at NON-ACADEMIC extra curriculars. They don't care as much if you are on academic team, robotics team, NHS, etc., they want different things like sports, volunteer work, unique activities that set you apart. The admissions counselor also said that the big scholarships ($20,000 per year) are also based on the non-academic stuff. You should be very proud of yours.

By Kiki81ny (Kiki81ny) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

Thanks Amethyst (my birthstone by the way!) A large scholarship would be an amazing thing to have. I'm very worried that I won't get enough financial aid because we are upper middle class, but my brother is currently attending a very expensive private college and there just is not a ton of money left over, so I need some good scholarships!

So, how exactly should I phrase this on my resume? Northstarmom said to put it under "job," but what exactly should I say about it? Something like, "Entrepreneured internet business in early 2003; first year revenue of $10,000" ? How detailed should I get? Thanks for the tips!

Kiki

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

You could write about the ups and downs of starting up your own business in your essay.

By Boxmaker1917 (Boxmaker1917) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

Kiki -

I would list your business on your apps in more business-like terms: "President, XXX Company. Founded retail company specializing in used designer fashions with gross sales/revenues in excess of $$$. Currently employs XXX."

Work the fact that you have a SUCCESSFUL company into your description! Otherwise, you may not appear much different than the kid who mows lawns for a couple of hundred bucks each summer and owns "Joe's Lawncare Service!"

By Kiki81ny (Kiki81ny) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

That's great, thanks all!

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

I have a question that branches off of Kiki's question.
does environmental/animal rights club counted as unusual? I recently started an environmental and animal rights activists club at my school and also a photography club. Is that unusual or just not really important non-academic club?
thanks

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

does environmental/animal rights club counted as unusual? I recently started an environmental and animal rights activists club at my school and also a photography club. Is that unusual or just not really important non-academic club?
thanks

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page