My Chances for UC Berkeley

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: My Chances for UC Berkeley
By Purplerain (Purplerain) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

I'm currently a junior at a competitive high school in California. UC Berkeley is my first choice college. I'm not an outstanding, brilliant student, but I do work hard (as my low stats reflect).

Race: Asian American (Chinese)

cum HS GPA (weighted): 3.76 (will bring it up to a 3.8+ by the end of this year)

Have been taking the most challenging course load since freshmen year.

I am among 10 out of 520 students taking the heaviest course load for the Class of '05 at my high school this year (4 APs) : AP Biology, AP Statistics, AP English, AP US History, French III, Adv. Journalism, Honors PreCalculus

Senior Year I will take: AP Human Geo, AP Psychology, AP Calculus, AP Govt/Macroecon, AP Microecon, Adv. Journalism, Physics

SAT I: 1140 (January '04), 1250 (March '04) - plan to retake it again fall of senior year, aiming for 1400+

Will be taking the SAT II History, Math IC or IIC and SAT II Writing in May/June (hoping to get at least 700s)

I've been staying consistent with ECs with involvement for 3+ years; although I have a variety, I've tried to participate in those that are related to my passions:

President of Environmental Club
The Green writer (an Environ. publication)
Copy Editor for school newspaper
Literary Magazine publicity committee
Book Club member
DECA Public Relations Officer
Library's Teen Advisory Group committee member
Piano
CSF member
Interact Club member

Awards (not much): some school sponsored essay contests, merit tests from piano, 2nd place overall Northern California DECA competition in Business Services, 2nd place E-Commerce Research Plan in DECA California State competition

I'm planning to major/minor in English, Psychology, Sociology, or Environmental Studies at Berkeley.

My problem is that I received two Cs - one in Honors Precalc and one in AP Biology...GPA for first semester junior year fell to a 3.4 sub gpa. I'm afraid that they'll damper my chances significantly. Math and science are not my strong subjects. The good news is that this second semester, I've raised it to a 4.14 sub gpa.

I'm planning to take an Precalc course at a community college to strengthen my math for Calc next year and to prove to the admissions that I'm willing to improve, even if it doesn't count GPA-wise. A Human Ecology course also sounds nice.

Some questions I have are:

1) Even though Berkeley does not see your senior grades, do they still ask for midterm grades after your first semester of senior year?

2) Do Berkeley compare you with your high school peers in terms of admissions?

Any advice would be most appreciated; congratulations on those of you with your outstanding achievements.

By Purplerain (Purplerain) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

Also first generation to attend college, non-English speaking parents w/ low -income jobs. Not sure if that helps.

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Well just to give you an idea i got in for spring admission with:

UC GPA 4.11
sat 1350
sat2 660 710 750
6 APs in HS. 4,3 last year
decent ECs(everyone says that)
ELC

By Sardonia (Sardonia) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:22 am: Edit

The admissions people aren't going to spend hours flipping through the pages of your application only to derive subtle intellectual resonance where non exists.

Either you have the SAT, GPA, EC's etc that are competitive, or you do not. On occasion, some people get into Berkeley with sub par marks.

Us transfer CCC students face an uphill battle. The smokestacks of the Berkeley Gulag beckon our names but few of Us Soldiers will be chosen.

In other words, fill out your app and drum your fingers across your rosemary beads.

By Purplerain (Purplerain) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Thanks for your advice. I initially did not consider Berkeley with my sub par marks...UC Davis seemed more reasonable. However, this year a lot of students from the class of '04 had been admitted with even lower marks - SATs in the 1200s, only two AP classes, 3.7 GPA (weighted) - and that gave me a sense of optimism. Who knows...I'll just keep working at it.

By Thefunkpig (Thefunkpig) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

well, we dont know how it'll be next year. I think i just barely got in
1360 (740/620)
most other college necessities fulfilled.

hispanic though!

As for senior grades, they didn't ask

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page