UC SCHOOLS chances-------please look

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: UC SCHOOLS chances-------please look
By Altf4 (Altf4) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

hi, i'm a sophomore

Asian

projected 1400 on SAT (very close to 800 Math and around 600 V) [ the equivalent of 1400, for the new SAT)

approx 700 on SAT bio E and high 700's on SAT math 2c

approx 3.8 GPA UW 4.2 Weighted (but my school doesn't weight, that sucks)

my school only ranks top 3, and divides everyone else into quadrants: i'm top 25%

will graduate with about 3 AP's

as a junior next year taking chem honors and calculus BC AP and a maybe for US HIst AP

EC's (not that great):

piano,Certificate of Merit, California (not actively pursuing anymore)

percussion ensemble

swimming 2 years on CCS 19-year championship team
Cross country (projected all 4 years)
joining Chess team next year

red cross club (not that active)
average service stuff
table tennis club (need to revive this club)

like 1 more club i should join next year: undecided

So, please give me feedback on my relative chances, to my list of UC/non UC schools

1. UCSD (university of california, san diego)
2. UCLA
3. UCB
4. some other UC (undecided, still looking)
5. Stanford
6. Caltech
7. Columbia

(out of 5-7 "top tier", probably choose one to apply to just for fun)

8. University of Chicago
9. Santa Clara University (safety)

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

ok....any response please?

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

1. UCSD (university of california, san diego)-good chance
2. UCLA -good chance
3. UCB -good chance
4. some other UC (undecided, still looking)-accepted probably
5. Stanford -chance but not good
6. Caltech -probably not most people have better scores
7. Columbia -chance

sorry for not being specific

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

will affirmative action hurt/help me in the case of UC schools, i'm graduating in 2006???

*** is there anyway to make myself more appealing for a greater chance at the top-tier (above UC) schools, besides raising test scores, anything specific i can possibly do in the next 2 years???***

By Lockin54 (Lockin54) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

there is no affirmative action at UC schools. It is illegal in the state of California

By Ucaaron (Ucaaron) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Affirmative Action helped Asians when it was banned in the 90's, since underqualified African Americans and other "underrepresented" groups are no longer admitted based on race. Therefore, because you are Asian, you have a better chance in 2006 than you would have had when there was still AA.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:54 am: Edit

that's a relief, thank you

nvm the top-tier schools, IN WHAT WAYS should i concentrate on making my profile more appealing for the UC schools, and therefore, a more likely chance for admission (test scores, more ec dedication, grades, ap's)

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:55 am: Edit

Freshmen in top 10% of HS class:

UCB - 99%
UCLA - 97%
UCSD - 99%
UCD - 95%
UCSB - 95%

IMO, if you don't get reported as being in the top 10%, your chances are severely diminished. If your school only divides its students into 25% quadrants, it will be a disadvantage to you.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

i guess they would notify the UC schools, i have no idea how the system works, just heard from people who seem to be vaguely familiar with how my school divides us up, one thing is certain, they don't do ranks 1-3XX (300 something), they rank top 3, and the rest something different

ur saying that if i basically don't make the top 10% cut of my class, that i basically have like a 1% chance of UC, that can't be right, can it??????? that's bad, seeing as my school is really competitive, it's filled with a lot of crazy ppl with 4.0's, leader of 5 different activities, tens of Ap classes, that constantly wear Ivy league sweatshirts every day!!!

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

UCs dont know how you rank in your school unless you are ELC(top 4 percent, and even that the UCs decide if you are or not). They will only see your class rank after you have already been admitted and then you send in your official transcript.

Im pretty sure this is right. when i filled out my app it never asked where you ranked in your HS and they dont see transcripts until after youve graduated. the only thing the UCs knew about me was that i was in the top 4 percent because of ELC.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

they admit u first, then you send them the transcript??? wtf?

yeah...top 4% at my school is really tough to get

seeing how UCB and UCLA are the flagship UC's, followed by UCSD, i'll probably apply to all 3, and then one more.

any more advice?, particularly for UCB, UCLA, and UCSD???

By Reelbigloser (Reelbigloser) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

On the application, you submit what classes you took and what grades you received -- but you don't send a transcript until after you've been accepted. Also, the UC GPA is what matters, so it's not important whether your school weights grades or not.

It would help if you had some kind of leadership activity (club officer, sports captain, publication editor, etc.). From my experience, this is especially true of UCLA. Make sure you write the best essays you can, and you're definitely competitive at all of these places.

You're applying in-state, right? If so, where in California are you from?

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Bay Area, closet UC is berkeley

my school is bellarmine college prep, san jose

not sure about leadership activity for me, haven't done much in terms of leading groups

applying in-state, yes, i know that gives me a boost and i only need a 2.8 GPA to qualify

updated GPA 3.75 (UW) 4.0-4.1 (UC-Weight)

good GPA for UCB UCLA UCSD??? (i'd definitely attend one of those for sure, if accepted)

i don't really need to work on my essay writing that much i think, just need a good idea and some inner motivation, that should be all.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

does it help if berkeley usually admits(comparitively)more students from my particular high school? (a lot, but not actually a "magnet/feeder" school)

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

can i get another opinion please..or advice

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page