Thinking about doing 13th grade for better chance at Ivies.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Thinking about doing 13th grade for better chance at Ivies.
By Matlm (Matlm) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Hey guys,

Here is a little bit about me.

I failed 9th and 10th grade due to severe deppression.

transfered to a small private school where i got my act together and got a B average for 11th grade.

I am in 12th grade now. transfered to another private school because the previous one wasn't challenging enough. I have 4.0 12th grade

1580 SATs from two sittings
800 writting
other sat II pending.

I figure I can stay another year and take 11 more credits. The school doesn't offer AP, unless you specifically request it, which i will do for those 11 classes.

The reason I want to go to an Ivy League school is because I want to study Tibetan. Only Harvard, Columbia, and UVA offer serious programs in this field of study. Harvard has the largest department which falls under Indian and Sanskirit studies.

I am allready set to go to UMBC next fall, but my heart really isn't in it. I want to study Tibetan.

Any advice would be helpful.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

go to like phillips academy or somthing

By Glory (Glory) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

o wow. you are too cool. i say follow your heart and go for that lucky 13.

By Blacksheep (Blacksheep) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

hmm, why Tibetan? (just curious)

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Sure, go ahead. It certainly sounds like a good idea. Also, your potential major will give you an edge in admissions - Harvard needs to make sure the saskirit studies dept actually gets some concentrators!

By Matlm (Matlm) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

"why Tibetan"

I am Jewish. I grew up Conservative. I went to hebrew school throughout my younger life and got bar Mitzvahed. Through my deppression in 9th and 10th grade, the only thing that gave me any real hope was Tibetan Buddhism.

My mom, who was very distressed about about me following a religon other than Judaism had me read a book called "The Jew in the Lotus." It was about a group of Jews who went to the Tibetan government in Exile for discussions.

to say that my people have gone through a lot is an understatment. With all that has happened, Judaism should have been anhilited hundreds of years ago, but we are still here!

I think that as Jew, it is my responsibility to do everything I can to help out another group of people who are in desperate need of preservation.

I hope this answers your question, please feel free to ask me any more, as I am very open!

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

Emory has an excellent Tibetan Studies program (as part of the Asian Studies dept I think). The university president actually signed a partnership agreement with the Dalai Lama himself to promote study of Tibetan culture, language and art.

By Matlm (Matlm) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

Wow! I need to look into this. Thank you soo much for that information!

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

here are several prep school options for post-graduate study:

phillips andover
phillips exeter
choate rosemary hall
deerfield
hotchkiss
lawrenceville
hill
taft
loomis chaffee

By Blacksheep (Blacksheep) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 04:24 am: Edit

heh awesome ^_^) I studied Buddhism for the summer and every day was incredibly refreshing. I am glad it's a growing interest (I barely caught on until last year!). I hope it won't be another thing cold shouldered. Good luck.

By Goldenhalo (Goldenhalo) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

So you can just go to prep schools AFTER 12th grade!? Wow...that would increase admission chances to elite colleges, wouldn't it?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

not if you see a downward trend in your grades which is highly likely to happen. almost any exeter alumni, for example, who attends harvard would tell you that exeter is a lot harder than harvard.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page