Weak EC's?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Weak EC's?
By Cwoodierun (Cwoodierun) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I'm currently a junior (female) looking at Stanford and Yale as my top choices/reaches. I think my basic stats put me in the running for at least the average applicant, so I was wondering if someone could give an objective opinion on my EC's, which will definitely play a determining role in my overall chances. Here goes:

Track and Field/Cross Country-Varsity track 9-12, Varsity cross 10-12; named captain in cross 11th, expected to be captain in cross and track in 12th. Misc. awards including most dedicated, most improved, and most valuable freshman along with a few conference and district level honors. I put about 20 hours a week into this year-round, running at times over 50 mile weeks.
Young Democrats-co-founder/co-president of my school's branch in grade 11; active on a countywide level. Currently working on campaign for attorney general candidate in my state; hoping for internship with him this summer if he wins primary. Plan to major in PoliSci, so this is a big thing for me.
Key Club-member since 9th; elected vice
Big Brother/Big Sister-mentor to cute 1st grader at elementary school about once a week
NHS; Spanish NHS
Misc. Awards including 2 Scholastic Gold Keys, Mock Democratic Convention award thing, poem published in Sept. 11 anthology, will be Ntl. Merit Semi this fall in PA. Hope to have around 200 hours misc. community service by time of applications.
Work 15-20 hours per week at mall (11-12)

This summer I plan to continue training for cross (20 hrs/wk), keep my job on top of an internship hopefully with the campaign Iím working on, possibly take a night course at my community college, or potentially write or edit some sort of book (mom is a published author/editor).

Iím just so busy that I canít imagine adding anything on top of this schedule, which is why I want to know if itís enough. Thanks for any replies!

By Upsided (Upsided) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

sounds to me like you kick ass and are going to own yale

;x;x;x

By Ohlookasquirrel (Ohlookasquirrel) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Female athletes are good, try to get your arts in a little more as well maybe?

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I don't see anything wrong with your ECs. You appear to be dedicated to a few activities and I think that's great. I like it better than the silly 4 page lists some people have.

By Cwoodierun (Cwoodierun) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for the positive replies so far..

anyone else?

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

WOW, how could that be called weak??? if yoru ECs are weak then mine are anemic! lol

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

OMG, we both work on campaigns for state attorney general candidates lol
I am an intern and the student campaign communications director for a state attorney general candidate in 2006.

What state?

You got 2 gold keys, i got 2 gold keys too (for drawings tho)

haha cool

By Cwoodierun (Cwoodierun) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Haha you guys are awesome..I was really expecting to get shot down with some of the posts I've seen on this forum. I'm concluding that CC is horrible for students because it would make me feel insecure about my EC's which I love and put time into..not every kid can be a finalist in the same 2 or 3 competitions or nationally ranked this or that. Good luck to all of us this fall then, it's gonna be a long trip!

Shaka--I'm from PA..kinda just jumped on the attorney general campaign in the past month but it's a lot of fun and my candidate's way overqualified. My gold keys were in short story and poetry but I love to draw and unfortunately dont have time for art in my schedule. What schools are you looking at?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

I'm from NYC and the candidate running in 2006 is currently a pretty influential state assemblymember. Since the NY attorney general will be retiring and competition is relatively scarce (i think), we hope he wins.

I hope to get a national portfolio award in scholastics in my senior year...my art teacher is goin to slaughter me with work to get it finished...

I will be applying to Upenn (ED), Harvard (legacy), UVA, UMich, NYU, Washington @ STL and UBerkley...and some others that I forgot. I will probably major in international business or finance. What about you? And how are your academic stats?

By Cwoodierun (Cwoodierun) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Shaka--looking to apply to either Yale or Stanford ED along with Duke and maybe Penn, USC, Berkley, NYU and who knows where else. Stats are 1470 on March SAT 2nd try with 770v 700m, will probably retake to get math up.. 99 something weighted gpa which puts me 5th in a class of 350, hoping to move up to 3rd by the time apps are in. 710 USH SatII, taking writing and chem in June. Will have 7 APs by end of senior yr with a 4 so far in USH. Very much leaning towards political science as a major but possibly a double major depending on where I end up. How are your stats? Good luck with the national portfolio :-)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page