Shyness

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Shyness
By Arow (Arow) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Hey,

For all the people that got into top schools, were you outgoing and talk alot in class or were you the quiet type that teachers don't know really well?

I just want to see because I heard that quiet students are at a disadvantage.

Thanks

By Confused86 (Confused86) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Well it depends on the class. I have classes where I'm pretty outgoing, I particpate a lot and crap, that is because i like the subject. there are others such as English where I never read, so I rarely talk. BTW I go to a school with 500 studnets. each class has about 10 people so it very hard not to participate

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

The reason behind this speculations is that teachers do not get to know shy students well, and hence the recommendations they write for those shy students will be more or less a generic one that won't impress anybody.

I am a rather quiet student in class, quiet to the point where I may be termed as "aloof" by some bystanders. Often, I may be seen having my head down, or eyes closed, or slouching on the chair.

Despite those previously mentioned bad traits, teachers tend to like me for some reason. I guess they know that it's just my style, and that I'm not trying to show any disrespect toward them or toward the subject being taught. Maybe it's because I am always very prompt with my work, and cares as much as my performance as anyone can care about anything.

By Summoner (Summoner) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

i'm quiet,
never participate unless called upon by a teacher.
i sit in the corner of the class by myself

got into chicago + cornell

By Julibean008 (Julibean008) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

I'm like Confused. But the teachers who wrote me recs were the ones whose classes I was really outgoing in. It isn't important to gab with all your teachers... just knowing 1 or 2 relatively well is all you need.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page