NASA Sharp Acceptances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: NASA Sharp Acceptances?
By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

I got in :) I'm assigned to California State University at Los Angeles! (I was so scared cause it came in a very thin envelope - 1 sheet of paper.) Anybody else get their letter yet? Good luck to all!

By Starryone05 (Starryone05) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Congratulations!!
I got a letter today and I'm only an alternate. It's good and bad at the same time. Hopefully, I'm up there on the list of alternates and lots of people drop out (though I wouldn't understand why someone would drop out, it doesn't get better than SHARP). The letter says that on average 4-8 people drop out, and they will accepting alternates until June 6. So that means I have to worry about getting in until then.
Congrats again!!

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Well, I'm in.

Athlonmj, I forgot to say yesterday that I am also in Academic Decathalon 10,11
and a few other things that I have

Athlonmj the funny thing is we will be staying together for 8 weeks. CA state U of LA!!!!
Dryden Aif Force Flight Research!

I had a feeling I would get in. My interview and essay were just really good. I knew that if I was going to get in, I would be goin to Dryden Flight Research-- Everything that i have done and said in the interview was correlated with Flight Research stuff.

Good luck, stary, hope some one drops out, but it wont be me.

My e-mail is tairforce@hotmail.com
This is great.
I have to say thanks to Blondie on this board, she gave my some encouragement.

In the aceept letter it said "you have been selected from over 1000 students"something like that
--- It should have said over 2000 students, unless they are just talking about the people that applied for the residential one
Oh ya - Im residential, I live in Central CAl
35 minutes away from the ocean, and 3 hrs from the snow.

It well be nice to be somewhere with better weather, ( 330 clear sunny days is not enough for me) i like the 350 days of sunny clear sky weather.

Thanks a bucnh, cant wait , and good luck!

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I, too, can't wait for a change in weather... I'm stuck in Chicago right now so pretty much ANYTHING is better than this.

BTW, Howd'ya know already what kind of research you would be doing? My letter only tells me where I am assigned to haha. Anyways, lookin' forward to seeing you there!

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

take a gance at NASA SHARP website,, people at CA state of LA will all be under the Dryden Flight Research . From previous people I hear we will only go to the Dryden AIr Force Base once or twice since it is over an hour away. We will work for boeing or other companies.

i will try to find the link............

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

my mistake--- commuters go to dryden flight research facility each day

as where us residentials will be at ca state la, we go to companies that work for nasa ie boeing each day.

Overall, the kids doing residential and the kids doing commuter that are doing the dryden or CA state LA will be doing similair stuff.

The residential gets to do more things, go to lectures,

Twenty percent of the NASA SHARP experience is comprised of enrichment activities. Enrichment activities provide the Apprentices with valuable college preparatory information and seminars, which help them develop personal and professional skills. The activities can include, but are not limited to:

· Tours of NASA Field Installations

· Tours of Colleges and Universities

· College scholarship and financial aid seminars

· Communication skills workshops

· Research technique workshops

· Resume writing workshops

· Portfolio development workshops

· Interview skills workshops

· Field trips to science and engineering related corporations

· Field trips to science museums and aquariums

NASA SHARP exemplifies NASA's education vision to promote excellence in America's education system by enhancing and expanding scientific and technological competence

people from past years have gone to disenyland, universal studios, six flags etc
-jay leno show auudiance
- college tours
-go all over la

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Sweet... I've only been to LA like once, and that was when I was 8.

By Starryone05 (Starryone05) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

The letter I have said that only 140 students were selected this year out of about 1200 (I downloaded the paper that confirmed if your application was received and estimated the number of people). Four people from my school applied to the program, and so far, two have gotten in (both will be going to Michigan) and one is an alternate (me, of course). The fourth one I haven't talked to yet, but I don't even think he was a finalist. I was really hoping to go to Georgia Tech, but I think that my college, if I am able to go, will be determined by whoever drops out. Congratulations to both of you again.

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

11.7% admit for residential.

That is harder than the top 25 schools.

Hopefully you get in. I wish you good luck, and keep everyone updated.

On my paper it obly says more than 1000 people applied, does not say anything about 140 being selected.

If you can could you post the paper, i will post mine later today, hopefully.

Thanks for the info.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Fighter, do you have AIM?

By Nouseforaname (Nouseforaname) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I have heard nothing yet and April 15th is tomorrow! Is it definite that they did not choose me since they have not called or contacted me at all? I applied for the commuter part, is it possible that that is the reason I have heard nothing? I am going absolutely crazy now. I can't think about anything else. This is the absolutly most perfect program for me. I really hope I recieve some good news in the next few days.
Congrats to those accepted.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Try calling them.

By Arow (Arow) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Hey,

Is the NASA Sharp Program just as prestigious as being an Intel Semi-Finalist or Finalist?

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

-JUST AS GOOD AS BEing an intel Finalist
NASA SHARP is the best summer thing your could have for college or nearly any resume. CTY is good too but not as good as NASA SHARP, or as well known. OVerall NASASharp is in the top 3 best things to have for EC's

Top ECS= NASA Sharp, intel finalist, super great sports player, research and participation with some kinds or technoglocgail or medical feild with a big name college, also if you work more than 16 hrs a week is a reall big deal and is looked highly upon from college reviewers people

Arow did you get in NASA sharp, and if you did what area?

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

bump

By Arow (Arow) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Nope I didn't even know about NASA Sharp until saw postsd about it.

But planning to do Intel

When you said its as good as Intel, did you mean Finalist or Semi-Finalist? Finalist is only 40 people from the whole nations while semi-finalist is top 300. I'm hoping for semi-finalist.

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

semi-finalist, soryy about that........

if you were an intel finalist you would be offered admission to any college you would want.

By Safire090 (Safire090) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

I got my acceptance last saturday..i was assigned to University of Wisconsin at Madison...anyone know how its liek there..I havent heard too much about it..

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

Madison is a very beautiful place from what I hear. (I live a few hours away from there). The campus is located between two rivers and I heard the atmosphere there is great, you'll have a great time there.

By Florida (Florida) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Was anyone assigned to North Carolina Sate for NASA Sharp? Anyone heard anything since sending in an acceptance?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page