Physical education should be abolished

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Physical education should be abolished
By hatesPE on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

i live in new york where 7 semesters of physical education is required. earning a grade of 65 is passing....what do colleges make of a PE grade of 65? im not an athlete but more of a scholar. i have a 94.9 uw and a 1450. i hate gym! please tell me what the ivy league and other selective universities make of this. thank you!

By nyresident on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

im from new york too...but i have straight 100's in gym. at my school, they dont include gym in the rankings and weighting of grades. where do you go anyways? btw, gym wont help u in college so i doubt theyll even look at it. theyll just look at the core classes u took like math, science and all that stuff. hope that helped.

By Nkemdilim on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

PE is awesome. Don't bash it. I have to do a credit of gym a year. I'm a scholar and try to be an athlere as well.

By hatesPE on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

i go to bayside high in nyc. pe does suck, majorly! thank god they dont count it.

By Jason Chen on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

PE doesn't even average into your GPA so why worry? Of course failing it is not a good idea but it should not be that big of a deal.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

pe is counted in my school's average, but maybe there's a way i dot have to report it, and get my 98% gpa, ••••••• bastards, make me run laps!!

By hatesPE on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

lol. they dont average it in my GPA so thats a good thing, im just worried that harvard will frown upon me since the ivy league is big on sports....what would nyu make of this?

By gymsux on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

gym is so stupid. it serves no damn purpose and SHOULD be abolished!! "hatesPE" rules!

By mafmaf22 on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

gym kicks ass, it is so much fun at our school. Gym bball and vball rock, even u sux at sports. Extremely competitve games at my school. 2 days ago, bball championshiop of gym bball goes into 3 ot. f0cken rocks. Any1 who hates gym suxs! it is also a great break from other difficult classes

By a on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

gymsux,

Gym is probably the most important class in the curriculum. A lot of kids might say "What's the point in doing math above algebra - it's not like I'm going to use it in everyday life!"

Physical Education, however, is the one class that can improve your life!

The problem really is that people tend to hate what they are not good at! Really people should work on their weaknesses and make them their strengths!

You might argue: "Why should my GPA be dragged down due to a poor grade in PE when I want to be an engineer?" in that case why should non-PE credits drag down the GPA of the next Michael Jordan!

By nyguy on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

haha PE is a joke, if you participate and do well on the tests you are guranteed a 95+. If your grade is low for one reason or another, you can run laps to for extra credit. you can also write extra credit reports. Its a cake class and your sometimes graded on your athletic performance. I no longer play any sports, but i dont only study. i have maintained a healthy physical condition and thus I am able to score in the top 90% of every physical test and I am currently riding a 99 average lol. i think harvard will be impressed by my overall physical fitness.

By Dori on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

i haven't taken PE in 4 years! at our school marching band counts for PE credit :)

By dumb on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

you guys are dumb. PE is fundamental to your health, because all you so-called "scholars" probably don't get much exercise anyways. You all are probably obese kids sitting on your a.ss complaining about running. geez get real

By meq on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:16 am: Edit

I got a B in PE because I couldn't run a mile in under 10min. Our school counts it towards rank too.

By mac on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 08:57 am: Edit

I'm not an athlete, but I believe in the that old greek proverb "A healthy body, a healthy mind" That is why I run 4-5 miles everyday. It helps me to release a lot of stress. But as far as for organized school sports, I don't participate.

By pesuckss on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

pe is disgusting....

By nysux on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

i hate living in new york cause pe is required. pe is for dumbasses who fail math and science but know how to throw a ball and run around in a circle while the pe instructor gets his 50 grand a year for watching you.

By MaritimeEnthusiast on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

i'm also from NY, and I think PE is a really great class. It's a break from all those classes where you sit down and write. It's like in kindergarten, when we had play-time. I mean, what's so bad about a class where you can play basketball, and actually get a grade for it? It's just pure fun.

By hatesPE on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

it sucks because if i can't do 33 push ups in one minute i get a 60.

By meeeeeemmeme on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

does harvard count phys ed?

By cambanosoy on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

i personally hate MY PE class. the teacher abhors me for no apparent reason even if i do well on the tests. His standards are ridiculously high (mile in 6 min, 70 situps in a min, etc)compared to other schools, even though my school is supposed to be the most competetive in my country. besides, the whole concept of doing physical education at school is plain stupid. we go to school to educate our minds, not to educate our bodies to play a damn game of soccer! PE should be an EC activity, and not a required course. thank god this is my last required semester of PE (thats the only thing that keeps me running)!
and its not as if i dont like exercising, because i do and i think that you must have a healthy body always. But i still believe it is stupid to DEMAND a student's participation in a PE course.

By hatesPE on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

thank you!! i couldnt agree more with you cambanosoy!!!! you said it! my gym "teacher" has very high standards as well. and as for you people who consider gym the same as math, crap you!

By 00 on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

how the hell is PE the most important class??! that's one of the dumbest things ive heard in my life!! i dont think it should be required at all!
yeah i bet we're all obese kids sitting on our asses all day you idiot.

By a on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

00 You are the Idiot!: "I don't think it should be required at all!"

Unfortunately, PE classes are the only opportunity many students get to exercise.

00 What do you feel is the most important class then? What other classes will improve the quality of your life?

Physical Education has so many benefits, that can not be achieved in a "regular" classroom setting!

The problem is that schools don't pay enough attention to Physical Education! I'm sorry that so many of you have had bad experiences with PE.
But this negative attitude towards PE must change.

hates PE, your PE "Teacher" is just as qualified as any of your other teachers, so please remove the inverted commas!

By my opinion on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

I dont think the problem is that you have to take PE. It's the way it's graded. In my school, it's Pass/Fail based on effort. Obviously, not everyone can be an athlete and they shouldnt hold it against you if you cant do a mile in 7 minutes or whatever. You should get an A or Pass as long as you try.

By a on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

my opinion has hit it on the nail!

By hatesPE on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

exactly! i wouldnt have a problem with gym if i wasnt graded on it! and no the gym "teachers" arent as qualified as actual teachers are! you dont need a phd to yell at kid to put a ball in a hoop.

By disagree on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

man......ten minutes for one mile THAT IS A LOT!!!!!
i dont know about other people but when i have done sports and i am really tired I CAN WORK BETTER...MY HW its easier cause i got a non-stressed mind..
PPL RAN A MILE in 4 minutes...
the limit should be 6-7 min...
10 is too much

By my opinion on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

6-7 minutes? I'm a pretty athletic person (swimmer) and i can't do that. You cant achieve that through taking gym class twice a week and you shouldnt be expected to. If you want that time, you need to actually train for it and run regularly. Maybe you de-stress thru physical activity, but someone else may become more stressed. Maybe they use music instead, or writing, or talking, or taking a walk. If 10 minutes is the best someone can do, then how can you say that they deserve a C and someone who runs a 6 minute mile who can really do 5:15 deserves an A?

By gymdoessuck on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

on the contrary....gym IS horrible! it sux major
@55 and shouldnt be required!!! people who like gym are the people who just play what they want get 100's! its people like me who have to do 55 push ups in a minute in order to earn a 65 which is barely passing by one point!

By a on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

You don't need a phd to teach at a high school! PE teachers are as qualified as regular teachers, and are usually qualified to teach another subject in addition to physical education. The exception might be if your school is short on PE staff, and therefore have to employ under qualified teachers. Also coaches don't require a teaching degree, and these days it seams that you can be a substitute teacher without a college education!

Please give your PE teachers the respect they deserve!

You snotty high school kids probably give your janitors and dinner ladies crap as well!

Give some respect!

By disagree on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

i can do 84 sit ups in a minute...
run 1000meters in 3 minutes
and a mile about 4-5min
well pe is the best you just got to do well and you got an A...
the easiest class ever
well...but its only me an eigth grader...
a forgot to say that i have trained a lot to accomplish this
trained to years of track
and 8 years of tae kwon do
right now i am in vacations and training about 6 hours daily
2-3 hours of tae kwon do on the morning
and 3 hours of track in the afternoon
well and i am only 14
i am also good in the academics...the BEST in my algebra class(advanced classed only for 20 ppl)
i dont know when i train more i feel better
and do things better
in other words
think more clearly

By givemeabreak! on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

You shouldn't be admitted to an Ivy league school if you can't run a mile in under 10 minutes (assuming that you don't suffer from a physical disability).

Fitness tests should be taken in addition to the SAT's!!!!!

My Stats:

GPA 4.0 U/W
ACT COMP 36 (ENG 36, MATH 36, READ 36, SCI 36)
SAT 800V 800M
SAT II 800, 800, 800
1 MILE: 4:02
100 M: 9.8 Secs

What are my chances for Harvard? Should I retake the mile to score under 4 minutes?

Boo Hoo, I don't want to do PE because it's hard! It's not as fun as doing things that i am good at!

By dadfd on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

yeah right 9.8 secs 100m AHA
how old are you?
who do you think you are maurice greene?
the world record in 100m is 9.78 by tim montogmery

By sarah on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Lets face it you lazy bums that don't want to do PE are really unattractive (both mentally and physically).

By givemeabreak on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

dadfd,

do you think i need to run .02 seconds faster to get into Harvard?

By givemeabreak on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I think that it's funny that you question my hypothetical 100 m time and not my perfect test scores!

By my opinion on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I dont think it's that people dont want to take PE or that they are lazy, but rather that it is unfair to grade someone based on how many sit ups they can do. It is depressing and is not helping the problem America has with out of shape teens. Such standards basically say that if you cant do this in such and such a time that you're a failure. That is simply not true. Maybe PE grades should be based on goals- each person should set certain goals at the beginning of the course and their grade should be based on whether they achieve them. Maybe the goal is to break the world 100 M record or maybe it's to run an entire mile in under 10 minutes or without stopping. I run a mile in 8 minutes, does this make me unattractive mentally and physically? Maybe, maybe not. Instead of discouraging and humiliating kids who arent good at sports, PE should be used to encourage them to live healthier life-styles. After all, it's more important to be healthy than to run a certain time.

By ~ on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:42 am: Edit

urmph.

well, 10 minutes is a lot.

hong kong is having an obsesity problem and there are 3 kids in my class here who can't do under 10.

one has an eating disorder, one has a heart problem, and the other has severe asthma.

Even if i wasn't good at it (i'm not particularly, actually, but i am on the cross country team) i don't think i'd want it to be abolished. it is healthy emotionally too...isn't there some sort of inherent pride thing, besides endorphins etc i mean... it makes a school less mechanical, churning out kids who can't throw a ball, do team sports, enjoy themselves physically.

it is kind of a break too, isn't it?

you know what i have a problem with? when the 'real' subjects,math, science, history etc are unfairly graded. I've had sexist chinese teachers (the course is 'chinese', lol...not necessarily the teachers' nationality) who will grade girls differently to guys; a geography teacher who can factor in personal dislikes of students into the 'coursework' grade under 'attitude towards learning' and 'effort'; and competitive math teachers who will give 'little hints' on the upcoming finals so that their students will do better than others.

i am not just complaining. its quite real and a lot of suffer from it. so all you people who complain about getting a B for not being physically fit enough to run a mile in under 10 minutes...

By ash on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:04 am: Edit

In my school, PE counts, but it's the greatest thing ever. All you have to do is show up prepared and try a bit to get an A. In no situation ever would I trade PE for some academic class in which I would have to do more homework. Beside, PE is fun, because you get to kick other people's @$$es athletically if you hate them.
Regarding the 10 minute mile thing, 10 minutes is a perfectly reasonable standard for an untrained person, and dare I say perhaps a bit high. If you can't run a mile in under 10 minutes maybe you should start doing a bit more exercise. My last mile was 6:38 and I was the first girl in my gym class to get done. How sad is that?

By LAZY on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:36 am: Edit

http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/records/gender=M/allrecords/discipline=MILE/index.htmx
you all lazies.....

By anorexic on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

PE sucks and all who like it are stupid morons who cant pass any regular course that requires some actual THINKING. cmon, really you dont have to do any intensive brain activity to run a damn mile!! you give ME a break ! i have nothing against exercise, the thing i am against is that you are getting graded for doing mediocre physical activity!
--
ps. i am not obese.

By n on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

All the guys against pe:GET A LIFE!!!!

By ash on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Go n!

By oz on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

anorexic,

you do have to use your brain, just a differen't part of it you dummy!!!!!!

By hatesPE on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

n sucks. i have a life! im number one in my class of 460 plus im an intel finalist! so shove your PE up your @55 go fail math!

By Nkemdilim on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Being a scholar athelete is better than being just a scholar. PE is an important part of that. get off your lazy arse and learn the skills and drills to keep yourself from getting a heart attack 30 yrs down the road.

By You people make me sick on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

This thread is freakishly disappointing.

"If you can't run a mile in 10 minutes you shouldn't be admitted to an Ivy League school"
--What kind of statement is that and how is that related to education/admission at a top school? The Ivy League isn't an athletic conferene anymore, it's a mental workout.

This thread just shows America's prejudice against big people. Some people...just CAN'T do sports...just like some people CAN'T do Calculus BC...

I'll admit it...I'm big, yes, but it should not be a factor in admission to a school. I mean, what makes me less qualified than someone else? I think it is really mean for you to say to someone you're a lazy person if you can't do the mile in 10 minutes...well I can't, and I tried to. What do you want me to do about it? It's not like I can change who I am dramatically to suddenly improve my physical ability...just like you can study for a test or something. The ability to run fast isn't going to pop up all of the sudden, it is a gradual progression. It requires A LOT of work to do that, especially if you were dug into a lifestyle whole that you can't dig yourself out of. You shouldn't be forced to embarass yourself in front of everyone, while a teacher assesses you on something you have no control over. Maybe if you were in my shoes, you wouldn't dish out this crap.

And I'm not saying I disrespect Scholar Athletes, it takes a lot of work to be both, but people shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. It's like fat people are automatically dumb. People don't expect articulate things to come out of your mouth, or for you to get an 800 on the SAT Chemistry.

Remember the golden rule.

By the way, I got an A in Gym for trying.

By biabia on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

gym is horrible. the teachers are dumbasses without degrees and cant teach anything else.

By ithink on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

PE should be based on how hard u try and not how much u succeed.

By kae on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

biabia - u irish?

(lol...i mean based on the name ppl, not his unfounded comment)

to 'you people make me sick' - you're missing the point. it's not like 10 minutes is completely unattainable - its only unattainable if, true, you're dug into a lifestyle of junkfood etcetc.
is it really that harsh if i say that it reflects your personality and attitude towards life and physical exertion...isn't it fair to have your college apps reflect that about you as a person?

personally, if i were admin, and i saw one transcript with straight a's but likely to suffer a coronary, and another transcript with straight a's who's also going to be participating in the uni teams...

By Grrrrr on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

You people should be rejected cause you have no character or compassion.

By cambanosoy on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

People open up your minds! some people can do PE some people just cant. This is all about saying your point of view on the issue but still respecting other people's opinion. This is not about calling each other losers because they do or not do PE. I personally hate PE, but respect any scholar athlete.

By hello on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

hey fatties, get up and smell the gummi bears. You are not an all around person even if all you have is a 1600 SAT and a 4.0. Do you know that you are supposed to get 20 minutes of excercise ATLEAST 4 times a week??? And thats just a minimum. Don't say you can do it. You weren't born a genius, you made yourself one. Make yourself get in shape. PE attempts to do that. Regardless of the grade you make, if you do the activities it WILL HELP. People see it as better if you have played a sport that requires work every day and have a 3.7 GPA than if you do nothing but study and carry a 4.0. OPEN UP YOUR MINDS AND GET OFF YOUR BE-DONKEY-DONKS!

By O71394658 on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

"You weren't born a genius, you made yourself one. Make yourself get in shape."

Exactly. Just like you'll study for a test the night before, exercise is just training your body, like studying is training your mind.

If you truly hate P.E., and it is because of some teacher, you should talk to an administrator about it. If you hate P.E. just because it requires physical activity, then you don't deserve to go to college, because you haven't learned anything.

By nyguy on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

"PE should be based on how hard u try and not how much u succeed. "
yeah just like life....
BS gym is great. I know fat kids hwo can haul ass. If your physically disabled its on ehitng, if you like chocolate chips cookies, its quite another. Any human being can run a mile under 10 minutes. My coach is 60 years old and smokes a pack a day, He can walk the mile in around 10 minutes. Anyway all the smart kids at my school are on the track team. We all bust our asses to run sub 5 minute miles and thus we never have a problem in gym. GYM is the great equalizer, you just dont like it because you fat smart kids get pegged with dodgeballs.

By hatesPE on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

actually i hate gym but i play varisty tennis

By GLYCOPROTEINRECEPTOR on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

LETS ALL BE LETHARGIC NERDS AND PLAY SCIENCE

By GLYCOPROTEINRECEPTOR on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

im gay and my mommy hits me

By pathetic on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

you guys are pretty sad. being smart is not an excuse for being bad at gym. at my school, gym counted just as much as any other class and it was definitely included in your GPA, and you couldn't graduate unless you passed gym every single year of high school. some of the smartest kids at my school were also the best athletes.

By abloishgymnow on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

gym is a waste of time. abolish it now!

By cambanosoy on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

i hate PE not because of the fact that it requires physical activity, but simply because the standards are too high!! i like exercising, but i am not an Olympian for cryin out loud! i just think that PE should be graded according to a goal that students set and accomplish under their own physical capabilities. if the best i can run the mile is in 8 min, i should get a good grade by the end of the quarter if i run it in 7.
thats all im saying, no need to get all jumpy people.

By dumbasses on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Actually no, losing weight takes years and is harder than acheiving a 1600 SAT. You can't say it isn't if you have never been overweight

By true on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

pe sucks.

By hello on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

ya'll make me sick. PE is almost ALWAYS FAIR. Just dressing out everyday earns you a 100 at most places, and the only way your grade is going to drop is if you don't work hard. Show as much passion towards PE and getting in shape as you show towards academics. Then you will be a complete, all around person.

By Finalnight on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

I used to hate PE, but I came to realize that is a stupid and immature attitude, my PE department revamped its courses and now I will be taking one of their "sport and leisure" classes my senior year, of my own free will because I wanna get in shape and not be one of the geeks who gets their ass kicked one day in the union, I already finished PE reqs in soph year so this is not forced.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Its just a conflict of values. Some people value knowledge-based skills only. Some value both (called the "well rounded" individual). Some value only physical strength. The problem is not the system. I have to go to PE every day. I dont like it. If I could, I would decide not to. However, it is a good thing that I have to go. For some things, I just need somebody to push me into it for my own good. There is no need to make judgments (like ppl who dont like PE are "nerds" whereas ppl who do are "jocks"). PE is fine. I dont like it, but its beneficial anyway.

By fuqyou on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

is humiliation and failing because i cant do 50 push ups in a minute good for me? is it good for me that i come home crying everyday and want to kill myself?

By multidimensional on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

How about the kid who's weakest subject is math? Maybe he has somekind of learning difficulty, but you guys make him feel like he is dumb with your straight A's and 1500 SAT's!!

Is it good for him to go home crying every day and wanting to kill himself?

Would you lower the standards of an A to make that kid feel better. No you wouldn't because that wouldn't have the desired effect, and the A grade would lose its value.

Instead the kid is offered help to improve his math skills. This might involve an extra hour after school everyday with a tutor.

The standards set for Physical education are generally within the reach of most students. Obviously some students might have physical difficulties in reaching those standards. However, what I get from most of you guys on here is that you can't be bothered to work on it.

Until you have the attitude to realise that working on your weaknesses is beneficial, you will remain a one dimensional bore!!

All of you complaining that you can't do 50 pushups in a minute, perhaps you should work on it at home. After all most of you wouldn't expect to master calculus without working on it out of class!

By me on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I believe parents with obese children are unfit. How could a parent ruin their child's life like this? Clearly, they have the power to control their children's diets when they are small. However, they do not have the will power to remove junk food from the house because they want to eat it themselves. This makes me sick. These parents are ruining their children's lives forever. What makes it worse is that their children will go on to produce more obese children.

By my god on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

you make it seem like obese people are dumb or something...

you're so ignorant.

By nerdy on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

go to stanford, it's for anti-intellectual jocks and gregarians with good grades

By Alira on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

I think other things should be able to count for gym. You need to do some physical activity, but not necessarily the way the school does it.

For instance, I have non-allergic rhinitis(sp?). When I run it jolts the fluids in my stomach and pushes the mucus down, causing me to get extremely nausiated. Regardless of this, I am required to run laps every day in gym class (though I do so without stopping in order to get my A's in gym, even though I often throw up afterwards due to the nausia).

HOWEVER-- I am in a Modern Dance company, and spend at least 7 hours a week practicing dance. For a Gym project, I had the class join me in an ABBREVIATED version of the warm-ups I do at least 4 times a week in addition to other exercises for the dance class. The gym teacher and even the most fit students in the class were unable to do a lot of the exercises-- which shows how much strength and endurance the classes gave me. I think that as long as you have an extracurricular that gives you a lot of physical exercise, you shouldn't have to do gym.

Especially if it causes you to puke. I'm sorry, I have a big problem with that.

And yes-- I have always gotten A's in gym.

By multidimensional on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Alira,
I admire your character for doing wht you have to do. You are right in your circumstance you shouldn't be made to do activities that make you feel ill - that's goes against the whole point!! Shame on our PE teacher for not taking your circumstances into account!

By omg on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Alira that's insane!!!! I feel so sorry for you!

By cambanosoy on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

i agree icognito! its all about the values.

By your local mayor on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

you should get to like PE. work hard in it and you'll see that it actually is good for you.

By Bwah on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

This is sad. I don't care how out of shape you are. You shoud be able to run a 10 minute mile. If you can't, (and you're trying) you're probably not a very healthy person. Phy/Mental shape are both important.

By agja on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

i hate when people compare gym to math. gym is so dumb and shouldnt even count. atleast you can do something with math.

By jotz on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

hey dont a lot of basketball players (stereotype) just know gym? and what do they do with it?.....i guess nothing except make about $2 million a year minimum. thats it. not much right?

so hey, you can do something with gym. its the harder way to earn money but a professional althete earns way more than a mathematician or math professor

By Alira on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

yes, but jotz, what would those basketball players do with gym as a CLASS? Most people involved in extracurricular sports/dance/gymnastics/anything that gives you a lot of exercise have no *need* for gym class, because they already get the exercise they need.

So what's the point of them (and me, see above with Dance Company) taking gym?

Especially when there's a medical reason it's damaging (again, see above)?

It should ONLY be mandatory for students who do NOT have intense physical as extracurriculars.

By Alira on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

yes, but jotz, what would those basketball players do with gym as a CLASS? Most people involved in extracurricular sports/dance/gymnastics/anything that gives you a lot of exercise have no *need* for gym class, because they already get the exercise they need.

So what's the point of them (and me, see above with Dance Company) taking gym?

Especially when there's a medical reason it's damaging (again, see above)?

It should ONLY be mandatory for students who do NOT have intense physical as extracurriculars.

By PEFOREVER on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:06 am: Edit

If Math is compulsory then so should PE! You guys that say PE is worthless don't like it simply because you are not good at it!!

By ghetttto on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:17 am: Edit

i think the purpose of gym was to give urm a class they could actually pass

By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit

Just so you know, I live in Illinois. For graduation reqs, we're supposed to have PE for two years, but really, by law we're supposed to take it for four years. I've only taken two semesters and I know athletes who haven't taken any PE (it's not supposed to matter whether or not if you play sports; you're supposed to have PE anyway).

Anyway, I got out of if because my health credit counted as a dual credit for both PE and health, and I had a conflict of interests because I was taking college courses these past two semesters (yes, they were going to make me stay at school for PE, and still foot the bill for the tuition I'd already paid).

I don't think PE's a bad thing. It's really easy, we don't have to do anything. We just play armball or lift weights for 180 days. It's all geared toward the guys and the athletes in the class. I still got the A, so I won't complain.

By asss on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

PE is for dumbasses

By dhgd on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

LOL

By dfsafsdaf on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

ksjgfjkdgasfakdjsggfdjsfffff

By Agentx004 (Agentx004) on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

the main question: will ivy league schools care if you fail gym?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page