Chances in engineering for female at CMU/Tufts/Cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances in engineering for female at CMU/Tufts/Cornell
By Suewilsoncoed (Suewilsoncoed) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

I'm a female Junior in HS--will major in environmental sci or environmental engineering.
GPA 4.0 unweighted 4.5+ weighted

AP Eng,US Hist, Bio, Chem, Calc
SAT--Math 680 Verbal 670
SAT II's 700,650,700

good ec's(good not great extracurriculars but lots of community service)--- major-related internship---steady work experience

Do I have a chance at CMU/Tufts/Cornell? Other ideas? Don't want school that is only tech.

By Itscool (Itscool) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:56 am: Edit

Your scores look fine...I applied to Tufts engineering school and was admitted you to prob have a chance...but dont think that your test scores will get you in...everyone on the board is always focused on stats that they forget about their essays and recommendations... One of the most important things you can do in high school is build a stonger relationship with your teachers who will intern write you an in depth recommendation which will prob benefit you more than a high test score... Our val. had very high test scores (1490), was in band, UIL, won awards in writing, took the hardest classes, an all around good student... But she didnt have a strong relationship with any of her teachers so when the teachers that did recommended her only put wrote superficial things like this student is hard working, does this this and that...and well I'll let her college acceptance turnout to speak for itself... Waitlisted at Yale, WUSTL, Rice, Cornell, Accepted at U of Mich, Berkeley, UCLA, UT... Her being waitlisted might not of been completely due to her recommendations but I believe that it was a factor.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Your 680 math SAT does put you in the bottom 25% of Tufts engineering acceptees.

Your GPA is good (but things like quality of high school, class rank, etc also are important). Tufts finds extracurriculars to be important.

I will be among the first to say that stats aren't everything... BUT I do think that your math scores are too low for Cornell and Tufts engineering. While liberal arts students may be excellent writers, researchers, etc and therefore be successful students despite lower SAT scores, engineering is more rigorous and structured. You need excellent, excellent math skills to be able to succeed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page