Dumb kid hoping for MIT !!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Dumb kid hoping for MIT !!!!!!!
By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

International admission to MIT is very competitive. In 2000, 105 international students representing 55 countries were admitted from a pool of 2,135 applicants from 119 countries. Almost all international students admitted to MIT have earned some form of regional, national or international distinction in areas as diverse as leadership, music, art, scientific research, academic competition, or athletics.

Thats what they have on the website......ok i would really like to give MIT a shot but i'm neither a prodigy nor a virtuoso. Still I would like to apply there. Ok regarding the research thing, (that is the only thing i can try lol) what type of research are they looking for? in what field? and please suggest some topics... So i have to approach my local univ. and tell them i want to do research? (they'll probably laugh their tail off)...lol........please help......

By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

come on...bump

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

if you can't answer these questions yourself, you're not MIT material. And I would know since i'm a junior who got into MIT through the RSI 2004 program. =)

They want potential, initiation, and just a fervent passion for science. If you can't figure out what interest you, wow, i'm sorry, you don't belong at MIT.

I am dumb too. My SAT score is 1310.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

so you're already guaranteed MIT since you've been admitted to RSI, right?
Do you already know your research topic for it? Or do they tell you later? congrats!

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

telomerase

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

MIT looks for is people who show that they are truly self-motivated - who go beyond the academic/extracurricular norm by demonstrating active engagement and intellectual curiosity. "Everyone" has good grades, good test scores, a nice list of extracurriculars, and a pile of awards (that's a fair generalization for anyone who has a chance for acceptance). The ones that are accepted do, indeed, have something (or things) more - community college courses, internships, athletic talents, the aforementioned research, direct contact with MIT faculty/admissions/coaches, or just a hell of a story to tell in their essays.

MIT definitely doesn't care about perfect GPAs and test scores because there are so many people that have them. You can be such a brilliant person to everyone who meets you, but to an adcom, you're just a couple of pages of text. We ALL deserve to get into such a school, but many of us do not and that's just the reality of the process. Because of this reality, our applications really gotta show how we don't fit the mold of a stereotypical applicant. Is an adcom gonna remember your essay about losing in the semi-finals of a robotics or debate competition, or is he going to remember your essay about how an inspirational (or even traumatizing) childhood experience has molded you into the amazing person that you are today? Showing how you are unique among even the best and the brightest is everything.

By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Staticsoliloquy: Congrats!!! are u an intl. student? plz enlighten about the RSI program....is it for int'l ppl too?

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

it's so much harder for international students. NO i'm a US student.

35 students are picked internationally.
75 in the US.

if you want to know about the program, goggle it. It's called Research Science Institute.

By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

hey thanks a lot!

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

think somebody needs to take it easy

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

and do you mean initiative

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

and by correcting me, you just make yourself look like a fastidious idiot. He is looking for help on how to get into MIT. I'm giving it to him.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem bubbloy.

Honestly, WHAT is your problem?
If enchantingdivz didn't have a problem with what I said, and he found it rather helpful, mind you, then why should you?

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:21 am: Edit

in all seriousness, initation could be taken as membership in some sort of society. i.e. young inventors hall of fame, RSI, isef, something of that nature. so it's not rly breaking your balls.

you gave good advice, i would find it useful if i was asking as well.

By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:31 am: Edit

lol..i'm a "she" btw..lol

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

I have a question - in order to do these programs you have to be innovative in a new research experiment. If one does not have access to advanced equipment, how would one perform advanced research. Go ahead and call me a "common-man supporter" but with all these programs and scholarships (Like the Davidson science and math one) it seems to me that the people who get in/win these competitions have unheard of access to superior facilities that the average person just can't get to. Can someone fill me in on how a person might be able to do these amazing projects without some connection or legacy at a college to get access to equipment?

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

that's true, but i had no connection at all, my mom is a flight attendant and my dad is a police heli pilot. i have nothing to do with science in terms of legacies. i mean, you have to live near some sort of college, and if not, definitely close enough to one where you could go for the summer. just write an email listing the articles you've read pertaining to the topic from real journals. generally, schools have programs where they have to accomodate so many hs students in a year. good luck. also, where do you live.

By Bubbloy (Bubbloy) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

wait, you're from NJ? you have no excuse for the common man idea lol, send you interests/reading to princeton, rockefeller, columbia, maybe stony brook, so much stuff around NYC.

By Sammileah (Sammileah) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Princeton > MIT

=o)

By Jszab (Jszab) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Ok. To people on MIT, or admitted already.

I would be happy if You would like to evaluate my personality with background.

I am 17 year old Pole, I started to enrich my knowledge in science when I was 14. Earlier, I had very good grades, and I was kind of silent prodigy, that do nothing, except inventions [:))) I have, still ,about fifteen projects :), that I remember].
When I ended course for scout troop leaders [14. y.o.] I realized, that I can work almost round a clock, and do not become tired. This dircetly brought me towards faster, and more efficient learning.

I decided, that I will make my researches and conceptions, and then I decided, that MIT is the best solution for me [Look it is Poland...].
Somehow I made a rapport with my headteacher, and I could leave classroom before end of lessons to participate in lectures and exercises on Warsaw University [in molecular and mendelian genetics].[14 - 15]

I started to interest in physics also, and then in chemistry, bu t significantly less.

Paralelly I was reading books, and articles, and worked on my projects.
I tried several times to find a lab, but It was impossible, since eiher, there was no equipment, or no money to research. Actually, I found contacts, but when we are starting to talk about possibility of making my research, they strongly disagree [money, and as they say: "Research in molecular biology could be dangerous for you. [No, I am not creating biological weapon ;). Actually this is: bioenergy, ecology, virusology and immunology.]"]

I made researches in physics [but simple, without equipment ;(] and in biology [ethology of cockroach, for which i spent almost all my money ;).]

I ended exercises in zoology somewhen there, but it was decision, to equalize my knowledge of molecular and classical biology, it was selfish thing for self-advance.

I train my brain reguralry, by running [especially on stones, it is good for sharpening flexes.] and creating 3dimensional structures like structure of water around hydrophobic ends, or compounds, or something, I also compute in mind [I can reach 13! ;) ;), or products of tens of thousands and so on. [! as 1*2*3*4... I don;t remeber how it was in english.] ]

I am strongly directed for science, so my grades are good, but not perfect.
I have perfect science grades, and mediocre humanities [except english, I am working on it, even if it does not look like...].

Whoa, one more thing. I am very good on writing algorithms. And I will write two programs: Compounds creator in PHP, and text compresser [very strong one.]

Almost all which is important, I think.

Thank You!]
Do not hesitate to write, if You have some questions, opinions, or if You want to work on something with me [:/ Who knows? Maybe I am not that bad]

By Jszab (Jszab) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

"So i have to approach my local univ. and tell them i want to do research? (they'll probably laugh their tail off)...lol........please help......" Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz)
--------------------------------------------------
Usually, they are saying: Yes, it is very good idea... Yes. You providing a research?

No, it is impossible.
- Why?
Mmhmm... You do not have, ehrm, qualifications, You know, and there is no money for our research,so it won't be, ceratainly, for Yours...

By Jszab (Jszab) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Bump?

By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

yea...i figured lol.....thanks 4 ur help anyways!good luck!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page