How accurate is Counselor-O-Matic???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: How accurate is Counselor-O-Matic???
By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/advSearch/match.asp

I tried this thing a couple of weeks ago and it tells me that I can get into the following colleges with a 3.0 GPA and a 1100 SAT:

GOOD MATCH SCHOOLS
*University of California-Riverside
*University of California-Santa Cruz
*University of California-Irvine

REACH SCHOOLS
*University of California-Santa Barbara

My question is, how reliable is it??? Did any of you listen to this and get admitted? Is it accurate?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Not very. It can be a good start though, if you don't take it that seriously. I got into all the schools listed as my safeties, all the schools listed as my matches, and 5/6 of the schools listed as my reaches (the one that was not an acceptance was a waitlist from Harvard).

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Well then, that means that it is reliable right? If you got into all these schools. The website says that a good essay might get you into REACH SCHOOLS. So I'm guessing you had a very good essay?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I don't consider it terribly accurate though, if you consider a match to be a school that you have a 50/50 chance of getting into. I suppose reach schools to be those where the chances are even slimmer.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Aliasmatrix, totally inaccurate for the UCs.
This is more accurate... http://sonicpixel.net/ahs/
Also this...
http://www.ucop.edu/pathways/onfoctr/introuc/select.html#campusselect

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Thanks. That did help.

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I think it was mostly accurate. The counselor-o-matic gave me UCLA and Berkeley as my Matches, and I got into UCLA- I didn't apply to Cal. I got into all my safeties though- UC Santa Barbara, San Diego, Irvine.

By Ucaaron (Ucaaron) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

don't worry about that thing... just work hard and you'll succeed.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

i wouldn't say that it's exactly reliable. i got accepted into 3 "reach" schools and got rejected from 1 "saftey" but got into all my "good matches".

i actually believed that thing, somewhat, so when i got accepted into those schools, i wondering a bit and when i was rejected from that saftey i was like, alright....

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Haha wow people from that school got screwed for HYP.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page