Harvard Transfer Applicant

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Harvard Transfer Applicant
By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

How would you rate this transfer applicant to Harvard? He has the following stats:

1. 83 average (all-honors classes) in high school.
2. 4.0 GPA as a freshman in college.
3. 670 verbal score, 630 math. Applied as history major (94.5 average in history throughout high school).
3. Many extracurriculars, including various work experiences and school activities (mostly in high school, only volunteer work and work experience at language lab in college).
4. Impressive essays.
5. Good recommendations, with an additional recommendation from a Harvard student who works at the Admissions office.
4. Asian-American (Minority)

Here's hoping that my friend gets in. What are the chances?

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

You think that your friend has better chances because he's a minority, but he's an overrepresented minority. Asians and Jews, in particular, are overrepresented. If he was black or Hispanic, he would stand a chance, but as it stands, he can pretty much forget about Harvard and most of the top uni's. I recommend that he takes a look at some good state colleges or a liberal arts school (since he wants to be a history major).

But in case your friend is interested, here's what he's up against as an Asian applying to Harvard, in terms of academic stats:

- 3.8-4.0 high school GPA, your friend has roughly a 3.0 (although college 4.0 is nice)
- 1500-1600 SAT I score, your friend has a 1300
- 750-800 SAT II scores, your friend has ???
- Extensive EC's, ranging from state-level music ensembles, internships, and community service

Those essays and recs better be as good as you say they are.

By Winnerpl (Winnerpl) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

lol Asian is not a minority.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

They don't even look at high school transcripts as much if you have 2 years of college work to present. DAMN, I should've applied to Harvard lol. I'm black and my grades, honors, awards, ec's and recs probably could've been a HIGH risk, but I should've done it. Oh well, they don't have my major. Good luck to your friend.

By Matlm (Matlm) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

dude just paint your skin black, like that guy did in the movie and your set. Does anyone remember what that movie is called?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page