IB applicants

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: IB applicants
By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Hey guys

I thought it might be cool to have our own "place" on this forum. So come on all IB applicants- from this and next year-and write what grades do you expect to get(predicted grades) and which universities you want to get into
Let me start:
Polish A1 SL- 6
English A2 SL- 6
Swedish B2 SL- 7
History HL- 6
Mathematics HL-5/6
Physics HL-6

Universities:
Princeton(dream on...),ucla,ucb,IUB(germany),harvard(yeah right:D)

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:48 am: Edit

hmmmm
am i the only one here.......

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:56 am: Edit

hey....I am an international too from Germany and want to go to UCLA but yeah...I think that is too much of a dream too. Plus my parents today told me that 40k a year would kinda be a little too much.....so I think I would hope for SDSU or a Stanford scholarship....gosh I just hope I can get to study at one of the schools I apply to....after reading all the posts in this forum it seems so impossible to me to even be admitted at any school! Well good luck to you Pole!....

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

guten morgen:D
yeah my german rocks:D doesn't it?
i see what you mean foreigngirl.i need badly a lot of fin aid also:D we are in exactly the same situation.. where did you get into?? i think that for foreigners as we, the best thing is to apply to ivy's since they have a lot of money and need-blind admission for all students.and afer sending aplication form just sit and pray for luck....
Wish you a lot of good luck.
Are there any IB students on this forum??

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

Yep.

We are not told predicted grades.

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

Hey congresssenator,
Why not?? is it a kind of secret??i mean, these are YOUR grades....BTW where are you going to apply?
Ok come on people...so now there are three of us....

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

i did IB.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

hey, doing IB right now, realizing more and more what a complete pain it is and how much extra work it requires...should have just stuck with a regular school and taken all APs instead :-(

No idea what to do for my Extended Essay!!! And still have so many Orals and Internal and External Assessments, ah!

Any advice, from people who have already gone through the IB process? Few if any American universities consider IB equal to AP. Most put it on a lower scale and don't give any credit or consideration for SL.

I don't know my projected scores and haven't decided even which courses to take HL or SL...what did you other IB students do? Besides HL math, which I have to take, nothing else is too clear...

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Yeah, extended essay:D I think i'll do physics on it. Either physics or history i think.
in my opinion the easiest way to do EE is to do languages. i mean everyone who takes IB posses an ability of logical thinking, thus everyone will find it fairly easy. but the main point of it is to connect it to your field of interest and then it is supposed to be so much fun:P yeah right...or mayby...i hope so, since i wanna do some cool physics investigation...recently i was thinking about blowing out my school...
i'll do my orals during the summer:( i know it sux, but.......i'm ind of stuck with them...what about you??
well good luck...any other IB people?????????
BTW why no american knows his projected IB score`? I mean, my teachers take each of us on a side and talk a little with us about each grade we get...i think it's kind of spooky not to know what you got..
OK IB's write who you are and how well you did on your subjects

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

BTW MAth HL is enormously interesting, but leathly workful.....o yessss.....but portfolia are kind of cool..if you know how to write them:D i don't but think they are cool:D

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

ok, I'll go.

HL Math - 7
HL Chem - 7
HL Bio - 7
SL French A2 - 6
SL English A1 - 7
SL Econ - 7

Extended Essay : Chemistry - 35/36 (predicted)
TOK - A
CAS - over 1000 hours of creativity, action and service hours

Schools
Princeton

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

the teachers don't tell us our projected EVER i think...unless we were to apply to Oxford or something and request it? How come oxford is so strict with IBs but seems really lenient with APs? How come all colleges are this way!?

Our orals are during school, but I'll have to do SOMETHING about my EE over summer :-( don't know what...

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

HL Math - 6
HL Econ - 7
HL Physics - 6/7
SL English A1 - 7
SL Spanish A2 -7
SL Computer Science - 7

Doing EE in Econ, good shot at getting 2 points.
Should get 1 point for TOK.
Total IB score: 42-44

SAT: 1520 (800m, 720 v)
SAT II: average of 750 for all 3

EC's: 3-time Track MVP, hold 6 school records. 2-time XC MVP. Editor-in-Chief of School paper.
No CS as of yet, plan to do 100+ hours over the summer.

Schools:
Stanford, Yale, Duke, Wash. U, UPenn

By Boxmaker1917 (Boxmaker1917) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I'll respond for my dd who is working on a TOK project right now!

She goes to a public HS that offers only IB, no AP. The students are not given projected IB grades but historically, a "B" in an IB class usually nets a "4" on the IB exam. An "A" usually results in a "5" or "6." A "7" is quite rare at her school.

Grades are weighted 10% for being IB and classes are treated as college-level. For example, my dd had mono over the winter and all of her work was due at the same time as other students -- i.e., there was no accomodation for being ill. (She ended up with a lot of "0's" which really blew her GPA this year.)

By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

wow....so now there is a small group.
Good luck all people. I see that in comparison with you I am a poor rat:D well, life is hard, isn't it:D
Is there anyone else, who wanna join this little IB-group?????? COME ON!!!!

By Pkamdp (Pkamdp) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 04:11 am: Edit

Hello. Southern California IB diploma candidate. Started with 85 fresh year, now there are 10! I only applied to California schools; top 1% of my class of nearly 600 students, National Merit Finalist, incredible EC's, was admitted to Berkeley, UCLA, deferred ED for Stanford and was denied. I have one friend, just a certificate candidate, great stats but not quite as good as mine, not National Merit, similar EC's, admitted to Stanford. IB offered no advantage whatsoever. In my school, IB also tests AP, however, only the UC system asked if you were a full diploma candidate. Would I do IB again? No way. Not worth it. AP would have been the same, without killing myself with an impossible schedule and impossible teachers. There has been no effort to coordinate any of the course work, and sleep has been rare. I feel like a guinea pig most of the time, and there is no flexibility in the IB program. They just keep piling in on. I am proud of finishing IB, for myself, but don't think it has been worth it. Too many people don't know what it is at all. I guess meeting others from around the world would give us something instantly in common....

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

that's not true. the top colleges are well aware of the what IB is. it is true IB is hardly worth it if you plan on going to a state school, but top colleges, like Stanford, do consider IB higher than AP. I'm not sure how SL ranks with AP classes exactly, but I think they are looked at about the same. I do know, though, that an A in HL Bio looks much better than an A in AP bio in the eyes of top universities.

It's a real pain having to take IB tests and then extra AP tests WHILE taking IB tests if you desire because some colleges only give AP credit. I'm only SLing in psych and it only covers like 1/2 to 3/4 of the AP material. So I had to self teach the rest on my own. It took a while, er, but I think AP psych is one of the easier AP tests. So, hopefully it paid off. I do know that my SL Calc AB (math methods) class over prepared me for the AP Calc AB test. It really depends on your teacher because my math teacher spent the 2nd semester solely practicing AP and IB exams. It helps a lot! :) Anyways, I hope it pays off for me. I suppose I'll know next year when I apply for colleges...or else, ugh, 4 years of my life could have been a lot more enjoyable as all IB candidates know.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page