500 Verbal score.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: 500 Verbal score.
By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I am very ticked off after seeing my April SAT score on the collegeboard website.

Thought I studied...--^

700 M
500 V >> 1200 composite

I've been in US for 2 and a half yrs and I'm junior in high schoool. 3.87 GPA, 10 IB/AP classes by the graduation.

-Girl state participant (this summer)
-Fairfax county leadership program participant (one selected from each school in county)
-Founded 2 clubs/leadership role in 4 clubs overall
-GenderPac conference attendee (w/scholarship)
-Amnesty International Member for 7yrs (group 157 member, freedom writer, member of outfront..etc)
-Volunteered/worked for various political campaigns
-various school/community awards

790 SAT II math IIC
790 Korean SAT II
750 Chemistry SAT II
680 Writing SAT II

DO I STAND A CHANCE to Cornell(ED), wellesley, JHU, Smith, UVA, George Washington, James Madison, George Mason??

What can I do to increase my chance?

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

retake! You can take the 700 math- read and study until the retake, and see if you can get a higher verbal score.

By Itscool (Itscool) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

You have a chance...dont put all your focus on your test scores...

By Manowar (Manowar) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

read, read and read! get that verbal score to at least a 600 and work on those essays then u'll have a good chance at cornell ed.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

bump

By Hertish (Hertish) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

hey i was in the same situation last yr when i got 470V for psat after lots of studying (also came from korea in 9th grade)
after studying and reading more, i got a 680 V for this march (i even got a 740V for one of the real sat's)
now, i'm studying more to improve my verbal score in june... everything is POSSIBLE!!
good luck

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

bump

By Acennace (Acennace) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:14 am: Edit

I think you need a higher SAT score for Cornell(ED), Wellesley, JHU, Smith, UVA, and George Washington, but no excessive sweating needed for James Madison and George Mason. FYI, I'm accepted into UVA with 1290 SAT (530 V 760 M)lower GPA (3.6/Canadian school) and lower scores for SATII (620 Math IIC, 650 EBio, 460 W). I think you have 60% chance for UVA.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

If English isn't your native language, you might try taking the TOEFL exam as well. A good score on that might eliminate some of the sting of that low SAT I verbal. Another suggestion would be to try the ACT as a replacement for the SAT I - some people do better on ACT than on SAT's.

By Kerfin (Kerfin) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

I think as long as you do well on your SAT II's (which you did), you'll be fine. Most universities emphasize the SAT II's way more than the I's.
And if you've only been in the states for 2.5 years, they'll see that and take it into consideration. But how did you get 680 for wr, and 500 for verbal? weird ;)

Yeah, take the TOEFL... I didn't do particularly well and got into UVA international...580 v, 710 m, 610 wr, 670 chinese, 680 math IC... did well in the TOEFL and voila.
I think you stand a pretty good chance. But cornell is unpredictable <-- ivies are like that

By Tenniscraze (Tenniscraze) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 08:18 am: Edit

Accenace, did you take TOEFL and if you did what was your score? same for Kerfin...

By Acennace (Acennace) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

I took TOEFL (in a bad day, Christmas Eve: no mood to do anything) and got 250. I didn't retake coz it was good enough for the schools I applied too.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page