A year off?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: A year off?
By 5 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Would it ruin my chances if i took a year off before going to college?

I was thinking of taking a year off to go to some third world nation and help the people out or something (got to find some program or whatever, if anyone knows of some opportunities, tell me so i can start planning now).

Or just simply travel Europe or Asia or something. I really want to go back to my homeland to visit the family and to rebuild the family shrine.

By 5 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

By ruin my chances, i mean to the more prestigious colleges/universities.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

To 5:
I'm doing the same thing you are, but for different reasons (my SAT score is not as high as I'd like it to be).

I dont think that taking a year "off" (I HATE THAT TERM, no offense) will hurt your chances.

"I was thinking of taking a year off to go to some third world nation and help the people out or something."
By doing this, you are ENHANCING your cances. I respect you, and I'm sure colleges will do the same.

By Fish3715 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Americorps is a good program to look into. .
Also, look into Children International (it's the child sponsorship program I work with) at www.children.org

What you may want to do is apply to colleges, enroll in one, THEN take a year off. Good luck with your decision.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

You may want to be a foreign exchange student. You can do grade 13 or take some college classes in another country, especially if you speak the local language.

By dd on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I want to "take a year off" to because I want college to see my full high school grades, my senior grades because I'm going to make it real good. In that year off, I want to go to shoalin Temple to study martial arts and do my personal studies.

Will that be a good idea? I mean, I'll apply to colleges but if I don't get in, I'll take 1 year off and then apply again.

By bb on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

I've always wondered. What if you apply to lets say Harvard and fail, what if you "take a year off" and help people out to better your chances, then apply again? Can you apply more than once? Will it hurt the chances? I'm an international student so i wouldn't know.

By 5 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Fish3715, thanks for the programs.

Does anyone else have a good program they can share with me? I really want to start planning.

This is what i think i should do (just my current plan, things will change when i get more info): Go back to Vietnam to respect the homeland (for a few weeks) then move onto another third world nation (Vietnam is doing fine, there are nations doing worse) to help out the people (but helping the Vietnamese would be fine if there's a program that's worthwhile).

How does that plan sound to you? (Please share any programs you know of where i can go to a third world nation to help people out)

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

You can always apply,then defer matriculation for 1 year if you want a safety net.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page