What are my chances at...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: What are my chances at...
By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

...Columbia, Georgetown, Tufts, NYU, UVA, and William and Mary (I live in Virginia... keep in mind that it's easier in state)?

-3.9, but that's heavily weighted... it's about half A's and half B's, with one C from my sophomore year
-1500 SAT1 (I'm taking it again... I'm capable of raising the math from 790 to 800, so I'm guessing I'll end up at 1510)
-tough courseload (four AP's this year and five next year when I'm a senior)
-essays and recommendations should be good, writing is one of my strengths and I have teachers that like me
-editor of school paper, maybe Editor-in-Chief by next year
-five-star honors in International Thespian Society... I've done eight plays, including one as a director
-academic team -- I have a good shot at being the captain next year, I'm the B-team captain now
-forensics -- I've qualified for NCFL Nationals twice
-NHS
-placed twice at the state level in National Spanish Exam
-have had a job for a couple of years now

If anyone could give me an estimated percentage for how good my chances are at each school, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Oh, and I also have a question.

Are all SATIIs multiple choice?

I am planning on taking 2C, Writing, and US History. Is there anything besides multiple choice on those tests?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Nope, they are all entirely multiple choice, except on the writing, there is a 20 minute essay.

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Can you answer my first question too? The one about getting into college? :)

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I think you have a terrific shot at all the schools you applied to...I hate to estimate percentages, though. The only place where I think your chances are difficult to surmise is Columbia, because Ivies are notoriously unpredictable.

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Is it true that one C can be backbreaking? I've heard rumors about that and they really scare me.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

No, its not true, especially under any of the following conditions: it was in freshman year, it was in an advanced math class, or it was in a non-academic subject. Even if none of these conditions apply, one C will not kill anyone.

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Damn, it was sophomore year world history.

Oh well, still good to know. Thank you. :)

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Eclinchy, I think your ECs will help you a lot, especially if your academic team ends up winning big (or you end up doing superbly as an individual).

Relating to this subject can one D kill someone (assuming they never get any other Cs, Ds, Fs, or other bad grades)?

Not wondering for myself (thankfully never gotten a C), but one of my friends is afraid of getting a D in a class (hopefully he can pull it upto a C, either way it's his first).

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Is there even the slightest chance that Yale or Princeton is worth applying to with my grades?

I have a couple of friends who want me to try...

By Ct04 (Ct04) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

absolutely. Write a good essay and make a good case, especially if you can afford the fee. good luck!

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Thanks for the encouragement!

Any other opinions out there? :)

By Dasweepa (Dasweepa) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Give it a shot. $60 or a lifetime of regret. You weigh the options.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page