UC out of state

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: UC out of state
By UC on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

What are my chances of getting into UCSD and UCLA from out of state? Here are my credentials:

- 3.8 GPA at a _very_ competitive college prep school (the average SAT is a 1400), top 20% of my class. The only reason I don't have a 4.0 is because my freshman year was poor.
- 1470 on SAT I (770v/700m)
- 6 AP's at the end of this year. So far I have scored two 4's (English Lang and European History) and two 5's (US History and Economics). I'm taking English Lit and Chemistry at the end of this year.
- SAT II's: 800 Writing, 700 Lit, 680 Math IC
- EC: First chair oboist in school band and orchestra (I've been playing since I was six), competitive pianist, foreign exchange student in Japan, ballet, tennis, theater crew, volunteer at Humane Society and Teen Line for four years, job at Boston Market since junior year.

I know my credentials aren't stunning but I was wondering if you all still think I have a chance at said schools :)

By DP on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

You have a good chance, don't worry!

By Good Luck! on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:05 pm: Edit

you have a great shot at both schools, but with one disadvantage: you are from out of state....i only think that it will hurt you at ucla 'cause about 3% their freshman class is from out of state

By wolfsterx on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Let's see here..you won't know your real GPA because UC recalculates everything for you..You're out of state (already a bad sign with a whopping out-of-state rate of <5%), and don't have leadership activity. Taking that this year the UCs implemented the "full comprehensive report," scores from SAT and SAT2 are weighed a little less than usual. However, I do think you have an average chance of getting in.
You have a chance of getting in.

By UC on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Actually, I have done some leadership activities :) I went to the Teen Summit on Racism twice as a representative of my school as well as the NYLC the summer of my sophomore year, but I guess I thought those activities weren't very significant.

By UC on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Oh, and what about USC? Do I have a good chance there?

By wolfsterx on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

You have a VERY good chance at USC. Did you apply for the scholarship award? You should have received admissions already if you had..
The Teen Summit thing would perhaps help.

By UC on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Yes, I applied for the scholarship award but I haven't gotten anything back yet. That might have something to do with the fact that I moved over the last month and it has to be forwarded :) (hopefully because I wouldn't go there without a scholarship)

By wolfsterx on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

I know what you mean. Oh well, regardless, good luck to you now.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page