What are my chances for UNC Chapel Hill

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: What are my chances for UNC Chapel Hill
By Carolina27 (Carolina27) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:07 am: Edit

I just got my SAT scores - 1240 total 650(M), 590(V). My GPA is 3.90 (weighted), and I am taking all AP courses. I have a lot of achievements outside of school (athletic, music, volunteering etc). What are my chances of getting in to UNC Chapel Hill? I am female and live in-state.

Thanks

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

My D. is out of state and had a 1290 on her SAT. She also had a weighted GPA of 4.65. (tons of AP classes) 3.96 unweighted She also has very very strong recs and activities.
She got waitlisted.
They did tell her if she was in state she would have gotten in no problem at all.
since you are instate I think it will depend on where you live..( I think they take a certain amount from different areas) and what others have..
I would encourage you to take the SAT again as that is what they said held my D. back.

By Carolina27 (Carolina27) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

That's good information. Thanks.

Anyone from in-state?

By Acennace (Acennace) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I got waitlisted from UNCCH and I had 1290 on my SAT (530 V 730 M), 460 SATII Writing, 650 E.Bio, 720 MathIC, and 3.6 (approx) GPA/ top1% in school. I am an int'l applicant with 500+ volunteer hours. Try to bump up your SAT to 1350+ and take SATII (try to get 650+). Otherwise, you should be fine.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Your chances are definitely good to great. Just don't slip up (though yeah, boosting your SAT 100 points or so would be really nice) and you'll have nice odds.

How do students from your school with similar stats fare with Carolina admissions? There aren't too many schools here that let you take all AP's, much less your junior year, so I would think you're probably at a good place that sends a fair amount up to Chapel Hill each year.

And as far as I know, UNC has no 'regional' quotas on in-state admissions in the same way that they can only accept a certain number of students from outside North Carolina. I could be mistaken, though; feel free to correct me, anybody.

...wait, your GPA is 3.90 weighted? What is it unweighted? That may not be a huge factor, but I've come to distrust weighted GPAs strongly and would like to either know your regular GPA or class rank to get a better assessment. It's not like I'm anything more than a fellow prospective, though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page