USC + 5yrs> Stanford?????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: USC + 5yrs> Stanford?????
By questy on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

i heard USC is trying to re-invent its school to contend with stanford and other hypos. Does anyone know about this?

By Californian on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Yeah, they are paying A LOT of scholarship money to the best and the brightest kids around the country. A kid from my school turned down Princeton last year to go to USC because he got a full scholarship. It's going to be a great school, and while we're at it, UC Santa Barbara is doing pretty much the same thing - so to all of you other californians, if you applied to UCSB and expected to get in just because it's not as prestigious as other UC's, then guess again. I know kids who got into UC Berkeley and UCLA and got denied from UCSB.

By afd on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

bump

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

ROFLMAO! USC > Stanford? USC's faculty can't begin to compare with Stanford, UC Berkeley, or UCLA. Give it up. Whether measured by awards (Nobel, MacArthur, etc.) or research grant $$$, it's blown out of the water. Yes, they're getting more selective about their students, so they may be entitled to some delusions of adequacy.

They have a few kick-ass grad schools, including Film, Dentistry, and Music. The B-school is overrated...ask employers who aren't sc grads.

They've improved a lot...but no one should get carried away.

By Cali on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

California Schools:

1.Caltech (but only for sciences and math, etc.)
2.Stanford
3.UC Berkeley
4.UCLA
5.Pomona
6.Claremont McKenna
7.UC San Diego
8.UC Davis
9.USC
10.UC Santa Barbara

By stanford rulez on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

STANFORD KICKS ASS!!!! ALL CAL SCHOOLS ARE BELOW PAR WHEN COMPARED TO STANFORD! AND STANFORD IS EVEN COMPARABLE TO PRINCEON, HARVARD AND YALE. FOR ENGINEERING ITS THE BEST UNIVERSTIY IN THE WORLD!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

I bet the eastern (Ivy League) schools would have students who would be sophisticated enough, nuanced enough in their writing that they wouldn't have to use all-CAPS, however.

By Troy on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:37 am: Edit

The goal of USC is to achieve 'stanford' level status. Are they going to get there? Probably not. But...USC is doing a remarkable job attracting kids that would usually opt for stanford, cal, ucla, and the ivy schools. The school has a great recuitment program to get those kids to enroll. USC puts together a very lucrative financial aid package for students in need. For intelligent low income kids, going to usc can actually be cheaper than going to ucla or cal. I think the school will be just fine if it continues drawing bright kids.

By stanford rulez on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 08:34 am: Edit

Thedad is giving me tips on sophistication??? What a joke! Get a life, and get off this board.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

Reinforcing my point. Thanks for the collaborating
evidence.

By stanford rulez on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

Thedad...this is a forum for us(college going kids)....not for some old ppl trying to pass on advice of maintaining decorum and sophistication. So, this clearly shows your inaptitude and illogical thinking. I'm sorry, but u can find your sophistication at some old age home where u truly belong instead of posting your pathetic views about the superiority of the east coast.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

LOL, Rulez.

Keep trying...you may get one right yet. I'm a Californian and believe that, in general, it's West Coast schools that are underappreciated; that this is so does not excuse your mindless and bellicose chauvinism more suitable to a football stadium.

As for the forum, it is for anyone with an interest in the college search, selection, application, and financial aid processes; indeed, there is even a sector for questions of particular interest to parents.

I assure you, I'm decades away from an old age home and meanwhile I suggest you find better methods of argument than _ad hominem_.

Oh, btw, the word you meant to use was "ineptitude." One would almost wonder if you aren't a middle-school Stanford wannabe, though I guess not enough evidence has accumulated to go _quite_ that far.

By fyi on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

In a major initiative to upgrade its reputation and compete nationally for faculty superstars, USC is launching a $100-million effort to hire 100 high-profile professors over the next three years, campus officials said Friday.

USC officials said the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences--the biggest undergraduate division, but also home to many graduate students--traditionally has had a weaker reputation than other schools at USC. They said the lagging status of the college has threatened to hinder what has been a dramatic rise in the stature of the university in the last decade.

USC officials said about two-thirds of the $100 million for the hiring effort, known as the senior faculty initiative, is already pledged or in hand for salaries, labs, support staff, moving expenses and housing aid. The rest is expected to be raised soon. "This is not an iffy thing," [Lloyd Armstrong Jr.] said. "This is going to happen."

In a major initiative to upgrade its reputation and compete nationally for faculty superstars, USC is launching a $100-million effort to hire 100 high-profile professors over the next three years, campus officials said Friday.

The recruiting campaign will expand by nearly 25% the full-time faculty at the university's College of Letters, Arts & Sciences, which includes such departments as comparative literature, economics and biology. More broadly, it could heat up the bidding wars among the nation's major universities for academics with top-flight credentials, particularly in budding research fields.

USC officials said the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences--the biggest undergraduate division, but also home to many graduate students--traditionally has had a weaker reputation than other schools at USC. They said the lagging status of the college has threatened to hinder what has been a dramatic rise in the stature of the university in the last decade.

"In many ways, the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences is the core of a university, and if we wanted to achieve the position we wanted in the hierarchy of universities in the world, we needed to improve the college," said Lloyd Armstrong Jr., USC's provost.

Armstrong said a successful fund-raising campaign launched in 1993 and ending this year has so far collected more than $2.5 billion in gifts and pledges. It has provided USC with the resources to fund much of the hiring initiative.

USC officials said about two-thirds of the $100 million for the hiring effort, known as the senior faculty initiative, is already pledged or in hand for salaries, labs, support staff, moving expenses and housing aid. The rest is expected to be raised soon. "This is not an iffy thing," Armstrong said. "This is going to happen."

Education officials applauded the move as a bold stroke destined to draw attention to USC as an increasingly significant force on the national education scene.

"USC has clearly made a very important commitment to quality and to being a major player in the area of private higher education," said David Ward, president of the American Council on Education, which represents about 1,800 colleges and universities.

The recruiting campaign, Ward said, will draw the attention of the sorts of top-tier, highly recruited professors that USC wants.

"It's a very shrewd, very strategic move," he said. "They're saying they've got a war chest, that they'll be hiring in several thematic areas and that they're giving themselves three or four years to do it."

Recruiting such a large group, Ward added, puts out a message to potential recruits that "not only are they being hired, but that they may have new colleagues of similar stature," Ward said. "That's very attractive."

The announcement also is likely to throw down a gauntlet of sorts to top public universities, perhaps particularly UCLA, at a time when shrinking state budgets and small pay raises have made administrators worry about their ability to retain senior faculty.

Until now, UCLA officials have said they didn't worry that USC would be able to make serious runs at their faculty members.

Around the country, bidding wars have been especially hot in such fields as genomics, bioengineering and ethnic studies.

Harvard and Princeton earlier this year waged a high-stakes tug- of-war over prominent African American scholars, with Princeton in the end stealing away Harvard stars Cornel West and K. Anthony Appiah.

But some higher education officials question the trend, saying it rewards a tiny number of gifted academics at the expense of students, other faculty members and higher education as a whole.

Others, however, point to the success of New York University, which in recent years spent lavishly on faculty recruitment, scholarships and a new campus and managed to transform itself from a middling commuter school to one of the nation's premier private universities.

NYU's makeover grabbed the attention of many in higher education, including USC President Steven B. Sample.

USC has quietly succeeded over the last few years in luring such big-name faculty as Thomas H. Jordan, a geophysicist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Kenneth H. Nealson, a geobiologist from Caltech; and James Higginbotham, a philosopher from Oxford University.

By fyi on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Money talks.

Stanford did the same things 50 years ago.
Got so many famous profs from East Ivies.
Now S is too snobby and arrogant. My wife and I are Stanford alumni so I think I can say that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page