Stop complaining

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Stop complaining
By Priscillama (Priscillama) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I don't understand why soooo many people on this site (as well as others similar to this one) are asking if they can get into a college if they're stats are like:
-over 1200
-higher than a 3.5 gpa
-say they have "no"ecs when they go on and name a shitload of 'em
It seems like all you people care about is which college you get into. There's a difference between asking about your chances to certain universities and complaining (which almost seems like bragging) about how you do not think you will be admitted when you have good stats. You just gotta take it easy.
It seems like the Americans are soooo stressed when the people that I'm around are just having fun in their last year. Simultaneously, they are achieving their goals, going to university(ex.Queens,McGill,McMaster,Western.etc) and will be successful. We(Canadians) don't have to write the SATs unless we want to go to the States and honestly, I studied 3 wks for them b/c I didn't know that it was SUCH a big deal. Actually, I still dont' think it is. Most of the people here seem to think that though. I got 1150 and for most, that might be devastating but for me, I realized that I can't write the sat's and my average makes up for it (3.9 gpa). I am taking 2 AP courses b/c my school only offers 3.I attend a private school though I don't have participate in extra-curriculars. I only volunteer in my community(toronto) and ride(horses). Though that may seem like nothing, I still got into the three universities in the States for which I have applied(majoring in business/mgmt): Purdue, Minnesota and UMich.(all before Feb.) Just because you don't have amazing SAT scores it does not mean that you are not a competitive candidate for a university. You may be just as intelligent.
MEanwhile, my friend got 1590 SAT(first try),perfect SATIImath and physics,790chem,98%avg.,plays all sports(rugby,volleyball,soccer,etc),national recognitions,tons of ec's and applied to harvard,yale and MIT.He's still waiting for responses.
It's all random and believe me, you don't need amazing SAT scores but they definatley don't hurt. Stop stressin yourselves...and remember that sometimes you're only paying for the name of the university

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Your post was too long for me to finish reading. Opps.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Wow. A whining Canadian claiming that all we Americans care about is college. Then why did you take the SAT (and score an 1150)? Stick to McGill and whatever else you Canadians have up there and quit complaining on an "American" discussion board that deals specifically with college admissions.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

>>It seems like all you people care about is which college you get into.

No, it seems like we know what this site is meant for and utilize it for that purpose...

I couldn't get through it all either, but I figure it contained vast generalizations about some of the brightest in their times of insecurity. Let them deal with it on their own if you don't like it. Honestly I don't know if it's worse to complain about a 1400 or to complain about the people complaining about the 1400. Both nuisances are fairly trite (to this site, anyway).

By Travisp (Travisp) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I got a 2.4 GPA :) My ACT score is coming soon, come on 30+!

By Zzii (Zzii) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

"Honestly I don't know if it's worse to complain about a 1400 or to complain about the people complaining about the 1400."

What about people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about getting a 1400? (i.e. you)

By Socaldreamgirl (Socaldreamgirl) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I am such a failure in life!

By Shhh (Shhh) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

The reason people stress about it is because we all know someone with a 1500 +

4.0 UW

excellent ECs

who has gotten REJECTED

By Priscillama (Priscillama) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

Collegeguy: my reason for wanting to apply to the states was to get the full "college experience" which includes the NCAA athletics, big campus (along with other reasons), and the universities up here don't offer that.

You people(generalization)just whine about the name of the school and how elite/prestige it is and about how you have an almost perfect sat score but still say they aren't good enough(get over it...life goes on).

Xtdish--why bother writing such a pathetic response?With that extra time typing, you could have read it.

Also,discussing the chances of admission is a whole different issue than complaining about your stats when you are more than qualified to be accepted (i.e.ppl who say "omg..i'm never gonna be accepted").That just seems like arrogance.There's a difference.

"A whining Canadian claiming that all we Americans care about is college"- whining..that's not the right word. Why would I care if you got into college or not? It was a statement and an opinion.

"Let them deal with it on their own if you don't like it"
What was I gonna do about it anyway?

It's actually really amusing how all of you stress about those SAT scores and the whole college admission process..definately overrated.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:28 am: Edit

Did you see complaining? I wasn't. I was simply remarking that I don't know which is worse. I didn't say that (s)he should stop or that (s)he's annoying, or wasting anyone's time.

Please define complaining as related to my post.

By Zzii (Zzii) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

sorry, i must have read your post wrong then

By Julibean008 (Julibean008) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I'm sorry, Pris, that it seems like we're complaining. Some people are just stressed out. It probably doesn't make them feel great that you think thier worries are "amusing." Even if the stress isn't real to you, it is to them.
Also, some people are insecure and actually don't believe that they're good enough. Instead of saying they're bragging, perhaps assuring them that they're good candidates would be more productive.

By Mochika88 (Mochika88) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

4.0 and 1600 doesn't tell colleges everything, the stregnth of the courseload as well as other kids averages in your classes who applied to the same school matters. and a reccomendation showing that you are determined matters, as long as you get 1250+ you are good and a 3.6 gpa

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

This post is annoying. If you find the people on the boards that bothersome, than why come here?

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Get a life, Priscillama.

With your STATS, you won't get in anywhere. Stay in Cananda.

By Vecter (Vecter) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

What Candi said

this forum is exactly for what you were bashing--why stay here? do you enjoy starting fights?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Priscillama sounds like that other Canadian girl who's always complaining. What's her name?

I wholeheartedly agree with Candi, if you don't like it here- then WHY are you here? Allow me to kindly remind you that this is a COLLEGE DISCUSSION board and its purpose is to exchange advice and information, and yes OPINIONS. If you can't handle them... well no one is keeping you here.

By Priscillama (Priscillama) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Xdtish-"With your STATS, you won't get in anywhere. Stay in Cananda."
Sorry buddy, it's a little too late for that. I've been accepted to Purdue, Minn and UMich and all the canadian schools i've applied to. Yea WUT
Just because I make a true statement that you people don't like to hear and don't study my ass of for the SATs and still get into good colleges, it doesn't mean i'm not intelligent.

Is this a fight? Damn..that's funny. I never said or implied that this WHOLE board was "bothersome". If it were, believe me, I wouldn't be here

Serdu...you said it yourself. exchange advice, info and opinions which is clearly what I have done. Did I say I was annoyed? No, I said I don't understand why...

All of you have got to learn how to read these posts better. I didn't say I didn't like it here either. I'm here to learn more about the universities that I have been accepted to to make the right decision on which one to attend. I happen to come across boards like this one and see a whole bunch of young American scholars stressin. Y'all gotta lighten up

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

What people are finding annoying is your lack of respect for people that have different attitudes than you. So what if you have differing priorities than someone else on this board? Why do you feel the need to attack somebody on that? Do you see anybody attacking you on your lack of concern of the SAT and related topics? After all, isn't that why we're all here?

I don't get you.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

oh well, some people, like me, are type A personalities.

Although I do admit I didn't care about grades nearly as much when I was in Canada. In the US u do tend to care more for some reason.

People always bitch about scores, although each person is diff for diff tolerance levels.

For ex. people who bitch about over 1550s are annoying to people like me. Who have like40-60 points lower.

When People in my group bitch, we're annoying the people with low 1400s.

When people with low 1400s bitch, they annoy the people with 1300s...and so on.

It just so happens that most of the people here have above average SAT scores, which almost always means that it is because we care about it a bit more, not that we're insanely intelligent.

Occasionally, u do meet a couple of really high scorers who are obviously very intelligent...ie Xiggi, Serene, Fairyofwinds, etc. These people might annoy you (i'm not saying they annoy me, but some people here do hate them.), but still they're smart.

Others may have "high" scores but that is just that. High scores but lower other skillz.

The best and perfect combo (for US ivies) would have to be this:

Perfect or near perfect scores on everything.

Varsity sports or breaking school records every year.

Volunteer like heck for GENUINE love of community.

Winning a lot of awards in academics and artistic (musical counts as well) achievements in the state or nat'l level.

Be an American citizen but have lived in a third world country.

Speak multiple languages.

Has a diverse life and background.

Lead a POLITICALLY active life, not just clubs and Dems and Reps but one who forms and follows their own opinions.

Comes from the lower strata of society.

I like meet only 1/3 of my own terms. :(

By Vecter (Vecter) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

^^ eloquently spoken Candi

By Priscillama (Priscillama) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Thank you Bluebaron1616. You actually understood and responded. Not cricized n giving me pathetic responses like Candi etc.
Don't get me wrong. I definately do not hate those with high SAT scores or I would have to hate a few of my friends. Good for them, really, but it's when these ppl start complaining and WHINING about not getting in anywhere and go on listing all their stats, that's when the situation turns into arrogance.

Lack of respect? Did I say you could not discuss your chances? of course not! that's what the site is for(as you had previously stated). AGAIN I say there is a difference b/w discussing and complaining/whining(maybe you should read n comprehend instead of running your mouth).

Attack? Making a statement is more like it. I guess the point that you have missed is that you(generalization) stress yourselves way too much (not to mention, losing a social life in your last year)for something that is important, but not unattainable which is what you ppl are making it out to be.

Btw, you can attack" me about my lack of concern of the SAT and related topics because I have already achieved my short term goals by being accepted into the universities of my choice, and I no longer care about them. Yea, I don't get you either...my reason for posting.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Your post is both immature in tone and lacking proper grammatical sense. I will not waste my time in responding.

By Dkm (Dkm) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

candi1616 - thanks for that post about "annoying ppl"

By Trinity (Trinity) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Priscillama, I will not tolerate personal attacks on this board; you have reached the point of non return. People have been very generous in replying to your posts and, in return, you have shown little respect. Goodbye!
Moderator Trinity

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Candi wins again! She's my 6-5 crossdressing hero! Yay Candi!!!! :)

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

LOL...Noodleman...Cornell would be lucky to have you!

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Tell THEM that! :)

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

don't dare diss my canadian sister. I"M CANADA AND THAT CANADIAN KNOWS BEST, PREACH ON PREACHER. CANADIANS RULE. CANADIAN RULES.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

I'm going to assume you're joking.

By Dramaqueen22 (Dramaqueen22) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Woah...I just wandered into this post and I am extremely surprised. This board is here for people to get help and advice from people who are going through the same rough situation that is applying to college. When did this board become some sort of online boxing ring? I agree with some things that Priscillama said. College admissions is becoming frighteningly competitive, and people are putting a lot of time and effort into making sure they are solid competitors. I think that this nation would be a lot less stressed out if all the emphasis wasn't put on numbers. However, it is and we have to deal with it. People should be able to post whatever they want, including being worried that their scores aren't high enough to get into the school of their choice. Sorry to sound preachy, but we are all pretty much in the same boat, so lets just let people have their opinions and also, try not to let our opinions offend others. Thats all!

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

*Searching for a meaningless thread*

...indeed I've found one...

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

im probably the only person who agrees with priscillina becuase i think she's right. Sometimes someone with absolutely perfect everything complains about not getting into their safety school. And yes im complaining, but hey its what i do best

By Priscilla_Ma (Priscilla_Ma) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

MODERATOR TRINITY:
I'm sorry if you found the things I have said as offensive, but I do not feel as if I was wrong or as if I have "attacked" anyone.

Nothing in your "apology" convinced me that the original ban was wrong. Do not attempt to register again.
Moderator Trinity

By Varr (Varr) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

Okay so people with highstats are a little pranoid, that doesnt mean they are complaining, it just might mean they are worried about their chances!!(hye who isnt, if your arent they why are you here?) and hey its good to worry!!! imagine what would happen if no one would worry about their education!!!, 2 words bad idea!!

Now everyone just take a deep breath and "RELAX" dont fight :)!! pls!? 2 word good idea !!:)

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Ms. Priscilla Ma,

Perhaps you should visit Harvard University, one of the best (if not THE best) in the United States. That environment is what I call stressful. This is just friendly bitching, which you will find most anywhere in the United States. Note that Americans tend to be more agressive in just about everything (including sports); while this contributes to a more stressful environment, it also translates directly into economic successes that Canada is a stranger to.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

Pris, you have balls for sticking around and I give you credit for that.
I guess you're new here. When I first came here I had the kinda had the same impression. Just seemed like a freak show to me. I've been here for several months now and these people are very nice and are very driven. The schools they want to get in are extremely hard and unpredictable as far as admissions go. At least they are going to college, I'd be more concerned about the seniors who have nothing planned at all. Other than that people are going to be much harsher in adulthood. Except it won't be numbers, you will be judged by how you look, how you talk, who you have connections to. This is only the beginning. Either way, nothing will ever change so just focus on your life and nothing else.

By Admiralgrygo (Admiralgrygo) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

This question is a little off topic, but its for the Canadians. Do you guys have Navy ROTC scholarships in your country? I know that Canada's Navy is downsizing, but I just wanted to know if they had a demand for officers. Thanks

By Ghewitt04 (Ghewitt04) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

Edited by Moderator

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

alright, first off, the above joke i took a little offense to, even tho being canadian refers to having any sort of background etc.

prisillama does not speak for all canadian, so please dont classify all cdns as holding her contentions

my 3 cents (ill give a little more than 2):

i am a canadian citizen. i applied to the top us schools b/c post-secondary education in the united states is a great investment in one's future, and so much money is put into creating a diverse class, making a beautiful campus, establishing state-of-the-art research facilities, that, quite simply, canadian institutions cannot provide. the main lack is that of money and sufficient funds and assets to build up an educational empire. canada has virtually no aerospace program besides in u toronto, so i applied to the top aerospace schools in the usa. other than that, in canada we continuously hear about the phenomenon called the "brain drain", or otherwise the trend that bright canadians are heading south to the USA b/c of greater opportunity and greater money to be made. heck, not to brag or anything, but i'm a prime example of that. canadian schools are strong, but they simply cant boast the resources that a lot of american institutions can provide. utoronto, mcgill, queens, waterloo, ubc are just a few cdn schools that are great places to earn a degree at.

regarding pris' comments. i agree that a lot of people take getting into college too seriously, myself included b/c all my hard work could not have been better paid off that admission to a school in the top 10 of usnews. people do have to chill out, relax, enjoy life, and not whine so much about their short-coming, or act like they're oblivious to the fact that their credentials can get them into a top notch college. now cdn schools really just look at marks, and b/c that's the case, u get boring classes, and that's why i also chose to apply to american schools b/c your life and your personality plays a part in the admissions process, and im thrilled to go to school with so many interesting people b/c it cultivates such an unbeatable environment. the top cdn schools are excellent, but the top american schools are phenomenal, so those are some of the differences that i've picked up.

wow, thank you to all who bothered to read my post, though it does contain some interesting info. if anybody's wondering, i got into harvard, princeton, mit, and uc berkeley. still deciding which one of the first 3 i wanna go to (leaning towards mit).

cheers, pz

By Kepler797 (Kepler797) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:50 am: Edit

why are people fighting, this isn't the place for it.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

i know that people take getting into college more seriousely then they probably should (myself included, btw.) however, no one has the right to tell someone else that they are being stressed out for no reason, because every person's situation is different. what do you know about hte pressures that some parents place on kids, that their school placese on them, their goals, or their own expectations for themselves? i'm lucky because atleaset i have parents who don't put pressure on me....mainly because i put so much pressure on myself. people have reasons to be stressed out, and people have reasons to care about getting into college. and newsflash buddy, if you are annoyed at people carrying about colllege.....don't come to a site entitled "college confidential discussion boards," where there are folders called "What are my chances" and where there's an entire site dedicated to people who care about college and are stressed out about it.

By Prisc (Prisc) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

MODERATOR TRINITY:
you banning me(almost seems like a game) is very hypocritical and I thought that being a moderator, they would be more open-minded/tolerant. It was definately not an apology because I did not say anything offensive.
I am a proud Canadian however I do not represent all of Canada so stop hating on Canadians.

And also, why do I get the impression that all of you think I've never been down to the states or exposed to the "real world".For your information, out of all the people I know,I am the one who is most accepting of the Americans and I always go down there for breaks. I have not encountered one person that has been "aggressive". I don't care what country you are from and still complain/whine, I still won't understand you.
Collegeguy...economic successes that Canadians(generalization) is a stranger to. Fyi,we are more financially stable than the US. We dont spend our money bombing other countries, instead we use our money to save those you are killing. We have good relationships with many other countries(including Cuba) that the US does not. So next times you make such a comment, make sure it's true.BTW, I have been to Harvard b/c my friend took a summer course there.

I have the same reasons to apply to the States as mitwannabe, and he has pointed out some very good information that you people might want to read before criticizing me and how I should stay in Canada.

By Punklunchbox (Punklunchbox) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

this whole thing is ridiculous, although i really don't see why prisc keeps being banned for being offensive b/c honestly, other people were being just as 'offensive' to her as she was to them.

she has the right to her own opinion too, even if you personally think shes totally 100% wrong

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page